Why become a member? ×

Pedal Power Supplies....

yorks5stringer

Bought a GLX Bass Limiter ( Boss Clone) new for £25 and used on battery is virtually noiseless. However used with my 9v 300ma power supply it makes a right racket. Likewise, have borrowed an albeit cheap DC Power Bank and plugged that in for its 9v 100 ma and it makes a horrible noise too. Having read the threads about having a decent power supply ( isolated and regulated) do I need to spend double the cost of the pedal to get something noiseless? The noise within the signal chain appears to come from the mains adaptors and not the pedal...or is that the core of the problem? Any info would be useful, have tried the amp and the power supply on separate mains circuits simultaneously.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I also have a diago powerstation ([url="http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/diago-powerstation.html"]http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/diago-powerstation.html[/url]), I've had it since 2007 and it's been faithful and silent in operation so far!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1375283381' post='2159262']
Good to know but like I say, spending more on the power supply than the pedal seems a bit crazy...!
[/quote]

I also have a very cheap single pedal power supply that I got from ebay, like this one: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Plug-9V-Power-Supply-Adapter-For-BOSS-Digitech-JOYO-MOOER-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-/130813339570?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e751527b2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e751527b2[/url] and it's been spot on for using with my sfx micro-h at home, worth a try for a fiver?

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375283706' post='2159270'] I also have a very cheap single pedal power supply that I got from ebay, like this one: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Plug-9V-Power-Supply-Adapter-For-BOSS-Digitech-JOYO-MOOER-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-/130813339570?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e751527b2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e751527b2[/url] and it's been spot on for using with my sfx micro-h at home, worth a try for a fiver? [/quote] Yes, tempted by these but are they going to be any better than what I have already....? Also they are from China, any issues with tax and vat: obviously a long delivery time!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1375297369' post='2159496']
Yes, tempted by these but are they going to be any better than what I have already....?
[/quote]

Can't comment on yours matey but can say that it's been perfectly silent in operation for me...?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1375283381' post='2159262']
Good to know but like I say, spending more on the power supply than the pedal seems a bit crazy...!
[/quote]

I'm not sure it is.

I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Lost of money, but fully isolated and silent.

And more to the point - would I be paying for more than £150 worth of batteries over my playing life? Definitely. At about £5 for a Duracell 9V that is only 30 batteries cost.

If you really are only going to use 1 pedal, then I'd say the Visual Sound One-Spot. That is a great bit of kit. Massive 1700mA capacity, well made and quiet.

The only pedals that it seems to have issues with are Line 6 stomp boxes. Bit noisy on them for some reason.

Dude, don't forget your power supply is for life, you may chop/change/add pedals at the drop of a hat whereas the PSU will stay throughout so I highly recommend getting something worthy. I have a diago powerstation and it's incredible, wether I am running just the one or my board with 7 pedals. No noise whatsoever and no worries about having enough/the right power.

Granted paying double what the pedal cost for the PSU may seem a bit daft, but remember with all your gear its an investment so it's worth taking the one off hit and getting the right thing for the job. Batteries are a hassle not to mention a never ending cost and a cheap PSU may not have the shelf live of the higher models or be as likely to handle all your pedals/any set up changes you may have. Cheap is not the way!

Right, I suggested to Dangleberry Music ( the supplier of the GLX/Boss clone) they try one of their dedicated GLX power supplies with the pedal. The did and conceded there was lots of noise too! So the GLX X 2 are going back for a refund and I start again. So what's the best Compressor under £100 that isn't noisy when used with a power supply please....?

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1375437173' post='2161193']
I'm not sure it is.

I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Lost of money, but fully isolated and silent.

And more to the point - would I be paying for more than £150 worth of batteries over my playing life? Definitely. At about £5 for a Duracell 9V that is only 30 batteries cost.

If you really are only going to use 1 pedal, then I'd say the Visual Sound One-Spot. That is a great bit of kit. Massive 1700mA capacity, well made and quiet.

The only pedals that it seems to have issues with are Line 6 stomp boxes. Bit noisy on them for some reason.
[/quote]

+1

A good power supply is a must, for me. I don't like the idea of depending on batteries for my pedals, and a power supply is something you keep "for life", to power whatever pedals you may want to use... For me it's worth getting a decent one. So what if one of the pedals I want to power cost me £10? Or £100? What does it matter? Whatever it is, I want it to sound good.