Why become a member? ×

Jack cables.

danfergie123

My main question is this :

Do higher quality cables make a significant difference to the sound?

I've tried many different cables, but never any 'top notch' ones. Basically because I've not known if it's worth spending that much more to use them.

I [i]think[/i] that the difference is that there's less noise like buzzing or any slight hiss. Again this is just me presuming what the difference is; could anyone 'enlighten' me in this area? :huh:

Thanks alot! :)

Dan

For what they cost you will be hard pushed to beat cables made by our own OBBM.

he uses top components by Neutrik and Van Damme. These are music and TV industry standard parts and are probably the best VFM you can get.

FYI my guitarist has a Whirlwind lead (cost him £35 odd squids several years ago) He was gutted when I gave him my Neutrick and Klotz lead to use (about £8 all up) as it sounds just as good if not better than the Whirlwind.

If you want to spend lots on a lead, thats entirely your own choice. Will it be any better in sound quality and durablity/reliability than one made of good components?

I seriously doubt it.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='216434' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:24 PM']For what they cost you will be hard pushed to beat cables made by our own OBBM.[/quote]

+1 (actually I think it's about + 5 now for my collection of Dave's cables)

It's rather like Hi Fi, the really cheap stuff sounds pants. Spend a bit more and it will sound pretty good. To make a significant difference to that you need to spend a fortune.

So, tell Dave (OBBM) what you want and you will sound fine.

Edited by OldGit

Ultimately, copper wire is copper wire, no matter how much you pay for it; it still facilitates the 'flow' of electrons in the same fashion - any marketing gimmicks trying to persuade you otherwise are going to be BS about 80% of the time. Of course, capacitance and resistance vary, and differences in material such as using silver cable affect this to some degree - ideally we want a cable which has no electrical resistance, but that just isn't possible.

What you pay for in decent (note: not necessarily most expensive) cables, is the quality of the connectors, which directly affects the reliability and therefore the lifespan of the cable, and secondly, you're paying for the amount of shielding on the cable. Hum is usually caused by insufficient shielding on the cable, both the jacketing and the shield conductor.

I've had this conversation/argument many times with physicists and recording engineers, and it all usually comes down to the same thing: buy van damme cable and neutrik connectors, it won't cost a fortune and they'll last years. Sure you can pay a million pounds a metre for Mogami, but any precieved difference (placebo effect?) can be replicated simply by cutting down your cable runs to the minimum you need; by which I mean 'need with medical urgency'.

just my 2p, don't mean to offend anyone who buys Mogami!!

[quote name='jamesf' post='216476' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:46 PM']Ultimately, copper wire is copper wire, no matter how much you pay for it; it still facilitates the 'flow' of electrons in the same fashion - any marketing gimmicks trying to persuade you otherwise are going to be BS about 80% of the time. Of course, capacitance and resistance vary, and differences in material such as using silver cable affect this to some degree - ideally we want a cable which has no electrical resistance, but that just isn't possible.

What you pay for in decent (note: not necessarily most expensive) cables, is the quality of the connectors, which directly affects the reliability and therefore the lifespan of the cable, and secondly, you're paying for the amount of shielding on the cable. Hum is usually caused by insufficient shielding on the cable, both the jacketing and the shield conductor.

I've had this conversation/argument many times with physicists and recording engineers, and it all usually comes down to the same thing: buy van damme cable and neutrik connectors, it won't cost a fortune and they'll last years. Sure you can pay a million pounds a metre for Mogami, but any precieved difference (placebo effect?) can be replicated simply by cutting down your cable runs to the minimum you need; by which I mean 'need with medical urgency'.

just my 2p, don't mean to offend anyone who buys Mogami!![/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up! That's what I'd been thinking about for a while... But I couldn't be completely sure because, as I've said, I've not used the 'best' ones before anyway :)

Is a cable without resistance [i]practically[/] impossible, or [i]literally[/i] impossible?

[quote name='OldGit' post='217087' date='Jun 11 2008, 06:20 PM'][/quote]

point taken. and yes, unless you're in an LTP (Low Temperature Physics) lab, it is literally impossible - and i'd say that puts a crimp on the practicality of it too!!

[quote name='danfergie123' post='216432' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:04 PM']My main question is this :

Do higher quality cables make a significant difference to the sound?

I've tried many different cables, but never any 'top notch' ones. Basically because I've not known if it's worth spending that much more to use them.

I [i]think[/i] that the difference is that there's less noise like buzzing or any slight hiss. Again this is just me presuming what the difference is; could anyone 'enlighten' me in this area? :huh:

Thanks alot! :)

Dan[/quote]

There's a difference between crap cables and decent ones but beyond that you're in the hands of the marketing men.

Google "cable myths" for some interesting debunking of marketing claims.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='217548' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:43 PM']OBBM ftw, in fact i've just given bassic cables a shout out on my albums thanks list[/quote]

Dave will be getting one on ours as well!
Go OBBM - you know it makes sense!
:)

[quote name='BOD2' post='217534' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:32 PM']There's a difference between crap cables and decent ones but beyond that you're in the hands of the marketing men.

Google "cable myths" for some interesting debunking of marketing claims.[/quote]

+1.

Also don't worry about having to play at absolute zero to keep the cable's resistance down. A kilometre of the crappest of crap cables won't have resistance high enough to have any effect on the sound. Capacitance, on the other hand, is very important with a passive bass. OBBM won't let you down.

[quote name='bremen' post='218566' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:20 PM']Also don't worry about having to play at absolute zero to keep the cable's resistance down.[/quote]

yeah - it's hard seeing the frets through the liquid nitrogen and the strings might become a little brittle ?

I use cables from the Chord Company called 'Cream' and yes they make a difference compared to many brands I have tried. Nigel at Chord is bass player and would not of released this cable unless it made a big improvement over cheap cables.

I would recommend all basschat members try these cables, they will not make you play better but you will hear the quality of your bass and equipment.

6m cables is about £50 and is worth every penny.

[quote name='voxpop' post='218698' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:35 AM']6m cables is about £50 and is worth every penny.[/quote]

Neutrik NP2X straight jack and NP2RX right-angle jack plugs are just over £2.00 each from Studiospares, - £46 is rather expensive for 6m of cable!

[quote name='bremen' post='218566' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:20 PM']+1.

Also don't worry about having to play at absolute zero to keep the cable's resistance down.[/quote]

yeah - I have a feeling that the string tension may be affected at zero Kelvin - and the amp won't work - and the speaker cones will be frozen...
The cables will perform exceptionally well though :-)

maybe I've spent too much time dealing with liquid nitrogen :-)

[quote name='danfergie123' post='217034' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:59 PM']Is a cable without resistance [i]practically[/] impossible, or [i]literally[/i] impossible?[/quote]

What you're talking about is a superconductor. As far as I know it's only known to be possible at absolute zero ( 0K = -273 deg C : very very cold indeed ! )
One of my physics tutors in the 80s was working on superconductors at 'normal' temperatures but as far as I know it's still something of a 'holy grail' - in a rational agnostic sense :-)
I stand to be corrected if anyone knows different.

In everyday terms pure silver is the beat conductor but tends to tarnish unlike gold.

Practically it's not something you need to be concerned about - concentrating efforts on keeping contacts clean and free fom oxidisation is much more critical.
Isopropyl alcohol to remove grease etc and look at Caig Deoxit and Kontakt products to remove oxide / corrosion buil up on jack conectors etc.

[quote name='Stewart' post='218733' date='Jun 14 2008, 10:23 AM']Neutrik NP2X straight jack and NP2RX right-angle jack plugs are just over £2.00 each from Studiospares, - £46 is rather expensive for 6m of cable![/quote]

There's cable and there's cable though.

Have a look on some hifi websites, and see how much some speaker cables cost, and there is an amazing difference between a decent speaker cable and the stuff that comes with most hifi speakers.

I use Zaolla and Vovox cables at home and in the studio, and I have a Spectraflex for gigs, each does sound different.