Why become a member? ×

Jack cables.

danfergie123

[quote name='The Burpster' post='216434' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:24 PM']For what they cost you will be hard pushed to beat cables made by our own OBBM.

he uses top components by Neutrik and Van Damme. These are music and TV industry standard parts and are probably the best VFM you can get.

FYI my guitarist has a Whirlwind lead (cost him £35 odd squids several years ago) He was gutted when I gave him my Neutrick and Klotz lead to use (about £8 all up) as it sounds just as good if not better than the Whirlwind.

If you want to spend lots on a lead, thats entirely your own choice. Will it be any better in sound quality and durablity/reliability than one made of good components?

I seriously doubt it.[/quote]

+1

Neutrik connectors are the standard along with Switchcraft.
I think Neutrik / Re-An now have a less expensive second line of connectors I think made in Far East rather than Europe.
Have to say they are good vfm although I'd still tend to go with the Euro parts - I have a few of those connectors so don't need to choose atm.
It's nice that they have a collet mechanism to grip the cable rather than a bendable bit of metal. Much more reliable in the medium / long term.
Once you have decent cable it's the mechanical integrity of the cable which is critical for guitar / bass applications.
I'd always opt for a copper screen ( rather than conductive tube / foil with a drain wire ) and if using with high impedance outputs you 'must' use cable with a semiconducting layer between the core and screen to avoid lots of noise when you flex the cable.
Braided screens are best electrically but can suffer from flexing so a spiral screen - or better a double lapped "Reussen" shield - is probably better ( and try not to step on it too much ).

Personally I have a mixture of Switchcraft / Neutrik / Deltron connectors with mainly Klotz instrument cable ( or Van Damme GAC-2 cable for lo-Z apps ) with a bit a bit of Musiflex and Studiospares 'Europa' multicore thrown into the mix.

btw the Neutrik 'Red' jack plugs with the shorting link to avoid 'plops' when unplugging look good too.

[quote name='rmorris' post='222595' date='Jun 20 2008, 12:14 AM']What you're talking about is a superconductor. As far as I know it's only known to be possible at absolute zero ( 0K = -273 deg C : very very cold indeed ! )
One of my physics tutors in the 80s was working on superconductors at 'normal' temperatures but as far as I know it's still something of a 'holy grail' - in a rational agnostic sense :-)
I stand to be corrected if anyone knows different.[/quote]
The original superconductors did their thing at about -270C (I don't think it would be very easy to get anything down as far as 0K). Highest temperature ones now are around -135C.

[quote name='tauzero' post='223922' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:20 AM']The original superconductors did their thing at about -270C (I don't think it would be very easy to get anything down as far as 0K). Highest temperature ones now are around -135C.[/quote]

right - still a bit on the parky side then :-) anybody like playing in gloves ?

more practically resistive impedance of a cable is swamped by the output impedance of the source. Even an active low impedance output eg from a opamp or FET buffer will usually have something like 100ohm resistor in the output for esd protection etc.
It's essentially the capacitance, mechanical integrity and electrical contact with the sockets you need to be concerned about.

I'd just like to add that it's generally better to avoid Monster Cables as they use oversize jack, so that when you first use them they feel really satisfying to plug into any socket as the fit really snuggley, however after weeks or months of use, the jack (in the bass/amp/effect) will become sightly bent, therefore if you need to use a regular cable again, then it won't make perfect contact in all positions and cause popping. Not an issue if you can get inside something to bend the contact back, but it's worth considering.

Personally I used to make all my own cables, but now I buy from OBBM.

Sound aside, it's worth considering whether they survive gigging.

I bought some spares from Thomann and although they look the part (moulded plugs etc) they're already starting to crackle. Whereas the leads I got a while ago from Award-Session with Neutrik connectors on are still good, despite being stood on and gigged for a year or two. As a result, I wont use the Thomann ones for gigs, don't trust them.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='224119' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:15 PM']I'd just like to add that it's generally better to avoid Monster Cables as they use oversize jack, so that when you first use them they feel really satisfying to plug into any socket as the fit really snuggley, however after weeks or months of use, the jack (in the bass/amp/effect) will become sightly bent, therefore if you need to use a regular cable again, then it won't make perfect contact in all positions and cause popping. Not an issue if you can get inside something to bend the contact back, but it's worth considering.

Personally I used to make all my own cables, but now I buy from OBBM.[/quote]

apart from those technical considerations there's also legal / ethical controversy around Monster Cable in that they seem to have developed a habit of setting their lawyers on anyone who might use the word "Monster" for their business / trademark etc and ot necessarily just in audio business .

if interested see, for example, [url="http://www.madmartian.com/legal/"]http://www.madmartian.com/legal/[/url]

I particualrly like the extract:

"[i]Number of times "monster" appears in the script for Young Frankenstein: 185
Number of times Monster Cable Products Inc is referenced in the script for Young Frankenstein: Zero"[/i]

I do, of course, offer this information without prejudice.

Got a few OBBM cables myself, including a couple for my wireless system and i agree with everyone about how good these cables are.
I must admit i dont notice any tonal differences by using these and my good Planet waves or Fender Bass leads but its the build quality that makes a difference. i know these leads are going to come apart on stage or crackle after a year of gigging.

[quote name='rmorris' post='226626' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:39 PM']hopefully you meant 'aren't going to..." :-)[/quote]

Ah, i meant the cheaper ones will come apart but i take you point. Grammar and typing were never my strong points.

Dave's leads will last a lifetime of course.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='rmorris' post='222588' date='Jun 20 2008, 12:01 AM']yeah - I have a feeling that the string tension may be affected at [b]zero Kelvin[/b] - and the amp won't work - and the speaker cones will be frozen...
The cables will perform exceptionally well though :-)[/quote]

We have Zero Kelvins in our band - does that mean we are not cool?

:)