Why become a member? ×

First ever bass refinish/Mod- All Finished!

Lord Sausage

Hi,
I bought the following bass of ebay for £23. It's an Infinity 5 String. Basically I'm gonna rip everything out of it. Strip the finish, refinish. Buy new pickups, pots bridge and probably tuners. I've never done anything like this before and I'm probably no good at it. I've read loads of threads on here and read things on the internet. Just gonna bash ahead. I'll put it all up on here stage by stage. Please feel free to help and advise!
Here's some pics of it in current state. The volume pots aren't attached to the body inside.
Cheers.
[attachment=139963:20130728_112656.jpg] [attachment=139964:20130728_112709.jpg]
[attachment=139965:20130728_112718.jpg] [attachment=139966:20130728_112734.jpg]

Edited by Lord Sausage

Ok, just started taking it to bits. Looks like it's made of plywood. I have a couple of questions. ( Bear in mind this is the first time i've took a guitar to pieces, these will seem like stupid questions)

1) When i took the pick ups out there was foam pads under the pick ups. Will i have to keep these for the new pick ups to sit on?
2) I intend to buy new vol and tone pots and jack socket. Should i keep the wires from my old ones or will they come with some?

I've just looked again, I just buy new wire don't I. It's all the same. However, do you need a differnt type of wire to go between pots and bridge?

Edited by Lord Sausage

Yes, disappointing isn't it when you're expecting a nice piece of alder, or swamp ash and you get this lump of ply. But hey, what do you expect for £23?
But you knew this.

1)The foam is there to give springiness to the pups, so the screws push against the foam and you have the pups stable at a given height.
If your foam looks knacked you can replace this with a strip cut from an old foam mouse mat.

2) No, you won't get wires with the pots. You MIGHT get a capacitor with them. I did when I bought Fender pots, but normally the pot itself is what you get.
I normally replace the wires. You can buy a meter or 2 from Maplin.

For the jack, I was advised to get a stereo one. You don't need the middle terminal, but it gives better stability, so I was told.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1375300594' post='2159555']
Yes, disappointing isn't it when you're expecting a nice piece of alder, or swamp ash and you get this lump of ply. But hey, what do you expect for £23?
But you knew this.

1)The foam is there to give springiness to the pups, so the screws push against the foam and you have the pups stable at a given height.
If your foam looks knacked you can replace this with a strip cut from an old foam mouse mat.

2) No, you won't get wires with the pots. You MIGHT get a capacitor with them. I did when I bought Fender pots, but normally the pot itself is what you get.
I normally replace the wires. You can buy a meter or 2 from Maplin.

For the jack, I was advised to get a stereo one. You don't need the middle terminal, but it gives better stability, so I was told.
[/quote]
Sound, i will be buying Fender pots. What about the wire that goes thru the body to the bridge, can that be the same type as what you wire up the pots with?

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1375300968' post='2159561']
Sound, i will be buying Fender pots. What about the wire that goes thru the body to the bridge, can that be the same type as what you wire up the pots with?
[/quote] Yes. I tend to use a stranded cable rather than a single core, as the stranded cables are more flexible. Other than that it doesn't matter too much.

Jumping the gun a bit here but i'm getting a new bridge for this. it has more holes for screws for mounting it to the body. Will i have to fill the old holes in the body then put it in the same place or place it a few mm's behind? What's the best stuff to fill the holes?

Edited by Lord Sausage

superglue and cocktail sticks/toothpicks are great for filling old screw holes. Make sure your saddles on the bridge are sitting where the old ones did and you should be fine.

Welcome to sanding hell, poly finishes are the worst, and enjoy doing the cutaways. They are damn near impossible.

Wow, that's a steal for £23! Good one :)

Here's a thread on my own attempt at something similar-ish. I gave up on stripping the finish ('cos what lay beneath turned out to be MDF!), but the thread contains some great advice from folks on here about removing poly finishes and such like:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196051-how-easy-is-it-to-remove-a-polyresin-finish-update-project-finished-photos-added/

Keep us posted on how you get on with it...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1376060201' post='2169197']
superglue and cocktail sticks/toothpicks are great for filling old screw holes. Make sure your saddles on the bridge are sitting where the old ones did and you should be fine.

Welcome to sanding hell, poly finishes are the worst, and enjoy doing the cutaways. They are damn near impossible.
[/quote]

Yup...I refinished a Telecaster copy once which had a thick poly coating on it. I did it all by hand - no heat guns, no chemicals...just sandpaper and a sanding block. It took me weeks. The good bit was that parts of the plastic coating flaked off in the cutaway areas and I could pick it off with what was left of my fingernails. I still had to do a lot of sanding there, though, and it was a long way from easy. But very satisfying!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376065553' post='2169301']

Here's a thread on my own attempt at something similar-ish. I gave up on stripping the finish ('cos what lay beneath turned out to be MDF!), but the thread contains some great advice from folks on here about removing poly finishes and such like:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196051-how-easy-is-it-to-remove-a-polyresin-finish-update-project-finished-photos-added/"]http://basschat.co.u...d-photos-added/[/url]

[/quote][quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1376065553' post='2169301']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196051-how-easy-is-it-to-remove-a-polyresin-finish-update-project-finished-photos-added/"]http://basschat.co.u...d-photos-added/[/url]

[/quote]
Cheers Skol

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1377211064' post='2184975']
Nearly down to all the wood. Just got the top face to do.

Will i have to sand it with a fine sandpaper before i spray a primer?

Just ordered this bridge for it.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_3d5_b.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_3d5_b.htm[/url]
[/quote]
Yes - I sand it first with coarse (c 80 grit) then wet it with a squeezed out cloth - this reveals the scrapes and dings. Repeat until all the scrapes and dings are gone, then sand progressively down to around 400 grit. It should then prime well and flaw-free.

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1377211712' post='2184985']
Yes - I sand it first with coarse (c 80 grit) then wet it with a squeezed out cloth - this reveals the scrapes and dings. Repeat until all the scrapes and dings are gone, then sand progressively down to around 400 grit. It should then prime well and flaw-free.
[/quote]
cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, The bridge i bought
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_3d5_b.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...aller_3d5_b.htm[/url]

has like another plate underneath that sticks to it. Obviously it makes the bridge a bit higher. What's the point? Should i use it? Would picture help with this description?

Edited by Lord Sausage