Why become a member? ×

First ever bass refinish/Mod- All Finished!

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386968594' post='2307090']
Er! The decal said my surname and the name and date of the tour I've been doing this year and next, not Fender. If I made something i'd make sure everyone knew i did it. Believe! I do have an ego! Thanks for the other advice tho! :)
[/quote]
LOL... WOOPS!!!

Great sounding decal. I take it all back and now busy eating humble pie as we speak.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1387016560' post='2307399']
LOL... WOOPS!!!

Great sounding decal. I take it all back and now busy eating humble pie as we speak.
[/quote]
Ha ha. no problem mate. I know it's a common thing fakers. The guy i buy the nitro off, Steve Robinson, has a website that shows how to build and spray.He mentions on it how strongly he fells against fakers too. :)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1387711740' post='2314745']
Does the wire from the jack thru the body to the bridge do the same thing?
[/quote]

Nope, that just grounds the bridge. What you want to do - it is by no means obligatory - is to shield the cavity from noise. A load more info can be found at the Guitar Nuts site, [url="http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php"]here[/url], where they explain it better than I can.

Well, whilst wet-sanding the finish to get ready for buffing I've gone through to the clearcoat a small amount on a couple of edges. Gutted! Not sure what to do. May just f*** it off indefinitely. Don;t know if i can be arsed with the expense of doing all the body again. Don't think i have the knowledge or skills to fix it without have to strip it back and do it again. I wanted it ready for the end of Jan for a tour. Don't think i will make this deadline so i have lost a lot of the desire to do it.

• 3 months later...

Right, I'm back on it! Today I have started buffing the neck using the first of three compounds from Rothko and Frost. The first one has bought it up shiny and smooth already so can't wait to see how it will end up. Was just going outside to use the second one but it's started pissing it down, so will leave for a bit. The plan was to get it finished today. Can anyone recommend a decent standard polish for when I've finished? (silicone free)

Once finished i will move back to the body, I've already re-sanded it using 320. I haven't gone back to the wood. Just roughed it up then I'm gonna do the whole process again. primer, paint,clear gloss. Hopefully i will get it right this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Some pics of finished headstock and neck. Fitted with Warwick Tuners. I'm gonna sell the old tuning machines and pick ups. all work ok just can't think of a decent price.

[attachment=162879:20140516_161104.jpg]
[attachment=162880:20140516_161221.jpg]
[attachment=162881:20140516_161240.jpg]

• 3 months later...