Why become a member? ×

First ever bass refinish/Mod- All Finished!

Lord Sausage

The plate you have is the bedplate that goes under the bridge is a shim for adjusting the initial height of the bridge. You could try it first with the plate and see what the set up is like. Then remove it if you want the action lower.

I'd do it that way round as the screws will bite more into the body wood when the plate is removed.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378757074' post='2204389']
The plate you have is the bedplate that goes under the bridge is a shim for adjusting the initial height of the bridge. You could try it first with the plate and see what the set up is like. Then remove it if you want the action lower.

I'd do it that way round as the screws will bite more into the body wood when the plate is removed.
[/quote]
Thanks mate your help is proving invluable. Stupid question time. Now I've sanded the body i put the bridge on with the bedplate, then take it off, do the paint job, then put it back on and see what i prefer? I can't do the end bit til the paint job, correct?

Here it is almost naked but with the new bridge attached. Just took the bridge off and i'm now going to do the final bit of sanding to get it ready to be painted. However, I am now undecided and confused about what to do. Originally i was gonna just do a nitro finish. Then i started flirting with swirl painting it. Then today i read some stuff about how nitro is toxic and fades and i read another thread on here where the guy used a different kind of spray so i am unsure what to do. Any hints and advice now would be appreciated!

[attachment=143649:20130911_222315.jpg]
[attachment=143650:20130911_222408.jpg]

Yes, the plate or no plate is a choice to make at the end.

As this is your first ever build I would try a simple one colour finish if I were you. Swirls would look amazing but until you know you can master a good finish why go to the cost and hassle only to find you didn't get the shine or the flat surface you thought it would be?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1379077919' post='2208448']
Yes, the plate or no plate is a choice to make at the end.

As this is your first ever build I would try a simple one colour finish if I were you. Swirls would look amazing but until you know you can master a good finish why go to the cost and hassle only to find you didn't get the shine or the flat surface you thought it would be?
[/quote]
Yeah that's what i started to think. What do you reckon about paint. Should i just use nitro?

I've just used car spray paint and lacquer. It was ok and smooth enough, but I know next time I'd be more patient and use more coats then sand it back and get a smoother finish and more lacquer, then I'd t-cut it back more and get a more full gloss finish.

To answer your other question about nitro and cellulose you may like to read this:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/gds/Myths-about-Nitrocellulose-finish-for-electric-guitars-/10000000004635258/g.html"]http://www.ebay.com/gds/Myths-about-Nitrocellulose-finish-for-electric-guitars-/10000000004635258/g.html[/url]

I've been watching the following videos by steve robinson. Would the way he sprays this laquer in the video be an acceptable way of spraying the primer and clear coat too. I'm undecided whether to buy my paint of this guy and have a chat as he doesn't live too far away, or buying the full kit from Rothko and Frost, cos you get polish too and you can get decals.

http://youtu.be/AyZRP8Xm7uI

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1379711746' post='2216178']
Steves lacquers are great as they drybto a hard shine, unlike some other manufacturers profucts. Ive got a load of cans from Steve for my own next project.
[/quote]
Thanks for that. I've used the lacquer from Halfords in the past. I probably didn't use enough coats, but I'm not over impressed. I'm thinking of re-finishing a bass, so I'll give Steve a try.

Yeah, get a face mask. The first finish I did using nitro, I didn't use one and I ended up in hospital every couple of days for around 3 weeks as my breathing stopped. Turns out that it was a combination of the fine overspray congealing in my lungs, and a reaction to the fumes. No fun!!!! And the conditionninly happened about 3 weeks after the spraying was compkete. Be careful.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1380041162' post='2219991']
Yeah, get a face madk. The first finish I did using nitro, I didn't us one and I ended up in hospital every coupke of days for around 3 weeks as my breathing stopped. Turns out that it was a combination of the fine overspray congealing in my lungs, and a reaction to the fumes. No fun!!!!
[/quote] + 1
Even a cheap Harris one from Homebase will do anything that filters the air. It works for me.

Ok, pretty pissed off as i'd hoped to have the painting done this weekend. Not happened for various reasons. However, i did get a respirator. Finished sanding the body and neck down to 320 and stuck a false neck on the body.

Anyway, if i manage to get the finish done next weekend I will then have to leave it 4 weeks before doing flatting and buffing. However, when this four week period ends i'll be in a weeks rehearsal then off on a 3 week tour. So basically i won't be around to do this. Is it ok to leave it longer before doing the flatting and buffing? (It's nitro paint I'm using). It's gonna be about 8 weeks.

The pisser is i was hoping to have it ready for the tour, but i don't wanna rush it for the sake of it and i'm back out in Jan.

This sounds lame but this spray painting lark is tough. f***ed it up a couple of times. Doing the headstock. Couple of times dust has got on the finish so had to sand back. Then earlier i'd done good so went to do the final dusting (using metallic silver) I mustn't of shook the can enough or pressed on too hard and i got loads of drips on the finish......gutted. I've had to sand off the drips but its too late to do any more so i will have to do another coat in the morning then dust it and clear coat it. Will this be ok, being that i'm leaving it overnight?
i must have used nearly half a can I'm a bit worried that the headstock will turn out to dark.

I've only gone and bloody done it.....well the headstock anyway. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. I followed the steve robinson vids. It's not perfect, i could of sanded it a bit flatter but i'm happy with it for a first refinish/mod. I will take a picture tomorrow in daylight and post it.

Stupid question time. I did 3 coats of colour. Mist coat. Then mist coat of clear. Then 3 coats of clear, i don't think it's dead thick though.

Now here's the stupid question bit which i think i know the answer for. Is it ok to add a couple of more clearcoats tomorrow? As eventually i will put a decal on and if i have to flat back a bit i wanna be sure i don't get down to colour coat.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1380925599' post='2232621']
This sounds lame but this spray painting lark is tough. f***ed it up a couple of times. Doing the headstock. Couple of times dust has got on the finish so had to sand back. Then earlier i'd done good so went to do the final dusting (using metallic silver) I mustn't of shook the can enough or pressed on too hard and i got loads of drips on the finish......gutted. I've had to sand off the drips but its too late to do any more so i will have to do another coat in the morning then dust it and clear coat it. Will this be ok, being that i'm leaving it overnight?
i must have used nearly half a can I'm a bit worried that the headstock will turn out to dark.
[/quote]
When you get small bits in the finish, don't sand it back straight off. Try first to get rid of the lumps when it's touch-dry by rubbing it over using the BACK of the sand-paper.

Your other question isn't stupid. If the surface is flat and good, I would just spray the next coats on-top next day. But others may say different.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1381373708' post='2238219']
When you get small bits in the finish, don't sand it back straight off. Try first to get rid of the lumps when it's touch-dry by rubbing it over using the BACK of the sand-paper.

Your other question isn't stupid. If the surface is flat and good, I would just spray the next coats on-top next day. But others may say different.
[/quote]Cheers!