Why become a member? ×

just another noob here....

Funky Dunky

Hi peoples,

I'm Duncan, a 36 year old reptilian from the planet Scotland. After 20 years as a guitarist, I made the switch I've been itching to pitch for 18 years, and decided to ditch...wait....this is ridiculous....let me start again...

About 2 years into my adventure in guitar, I realised I was drawn more to what the low end did in music, particularly rhythmically and particularly in funk, soul, disco music etc. I resolved that I would one day get around to learning bass, and last year the opportunity presented itself when a colleague happened to mention that she "had a bass gathering dust in her attic". Reading that back, it sounds like a euphemism to me. Anyhoo, I took the instrument off her hands (an aging pink Jim Deacon P-style) and got to work. I resolved to learn fingerstyle and made encouraging progress in a very short space of time. I purchased a Fender Bronco amp and began to make a regular nuisance of myself, devouring as many basslines as I could. I'm not "good" but I'm happy with my progress to date.

I love funk, soul, disco, metal, blues and rock music. My favourite bassists are too great in number to name, but I'm in love with the instrument and so of the opinion that there's something to learn from everyone. I'm particularly inspired by Victor Wooten, Mark King, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Bernard Edwards, James Jamerson, Francis Rocco Prestia and at the risk of cliche, Flea is of course a huge influence too. However, I love Billy Sheehan (the soloing actually does surprisingly little for me, but I think the basslines and tone are incredible) John Myung, Jeff Berlin, Chris Wolstenholme, Justin Chancellor, Matt Freeman, Robert Deleo and some lesser-touted guys like Neil Jason and Ben Folds Five's Robert Sledge.

I assure you this is not indicative of typical post length, but I thought I'd squeeze as much as I can into it seeing as it's an introduction. I look forward to getting to know you all, and exchanging tips and info on the low end.

Cheers,

Duncan

Edited by Funky Dunky

Well, Duncan, let's just hope that by "[b]B[/b]-Town", you mean Edingow or Glasburgh, and not that you're living in that.. that ... Buckhaven in Fife ...
or even that you originally [b]are[/b] from Fife!!! :o :ph34r: :D

Welcome, lad, and congrats on your great introductory post.
Write as longlyish as you like. The longer, the easier for us to look away, so there's really no catch. :D

Enjoy!

best,
bert

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1375045297' post='2156184']
the B-Town is Beith in North Ayrshire. I'm originally from Motherwell, but gotnon the wrong bus one day and had no money to get home, so I built crude accommodation from tree bark and the skin of junkies.
[/quote]

:lol:
You're younger than me! In my days, we used hippie skin.

BTW, Beith = good - it's in Ayrshire, innit. I love some peeps in Coylton.

b,
b