Why become a member? ×

SNARKY PUPPY at Band On The Wall, Manchester... this Sunday coming - go!

urb

Hey people

I just caught these guys last night at a pub in London - with 250 other people sweating our nuts off - it was a one-off-ish gig as they are now playing a lot of music festivals due to the fact they are simply amazing live - if you have in any way lost faith in music and or think there are no bands that are doing anything original or can't play like "they used to" - then you have to see this lot. I know there are a lot of Youtube videos out there of them playing in a studio or something but the live thing is a lot rawer, faster, cooler, funkier and just down right joyful - the fact they are led by a great bass player who is locked in so tight with the drums (and keeps doing amazing rhythmic fills on every tune) is purely a bonus as the whole band are superb... please go and see them - it will make your life better :)

http://bandonthewall.org/events/3980/

Apologies for being a little 'preachy' here but these guys are f-ing amazing - and - the best bit they are a jazz band who make the term completely relevant to the 21st century... get the hell along on Sunday night - it will be a great gig - in a great venue.

*preacher mode off*

Thanks for reading

Mike

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1374745000' post='2152604']
Been following these guys for the best part of 2 years now.
Did anyone go to the clinic at Morley College last week? An intimate 2 hours of playing and chat. Well worth the £10.
[/quote]

Would have gone with a bit more notice, as Morley College is just round the corner from here. Just signed up for tickets to the VU gig in November (thanks for the tip Mike!)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1374776962' post='2153167']
URB - thanks for the heads-up. Keep 'em coming. (Still smarting from missing TT & Gary Willis.) Don't know Snarky Puppy - who's on bass?
[/quote]

They are led by their bass player Michael League - awesome player, really nails the 'pocket' and his hook up with the drummer is amazing, he's a really inspiring player - plays a P Bass mostly and has a nice line in sub-bass effects :) - I reviewed the gig in London on the Jazzwise website (I work for them BTW)

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news-mainmenu-139/70-2013/12797-jazz-breaking-news-snarky-puppy-burn-in-the-hoxton-heat

Saw these last night at SGP.......they were f***ing brilliant.
Bit too fusion for me at times but still accessible for everyone. You can imagine the mix of people in the crowd here, but everyone loved em'. Think I've hurt my neck from bobing my head to the grooves so much.

Man f*** Dirty Loops , this is how you bring real music back to the masses.

[quote name='ryan0583' timestamp='1375077666' post='2156327']
Went to this. Hands down the best gig I've ever been to. They're simply unbelievable.
[/quote]

Excellent - I know I was ranting a bit on my OP but I honestly haven't come out of a gig (aside from seeing the equally amazing Jaga Jazzist about three years ago at Scala) when I was so blown away... realy glad you enjoyed it - I hope they keep up the momentum they have now - they deserve to be massive.

Cheers

Mike

GUTTED that I missed this! :(

Was all set to go then we had some relatives descend on us a day early for my wife's birthday... and that was me grounded.

Been watching them on YouTube and had got plenty psyched for this gig. Never mind. Good to hear it was a worthy show. I'm hoping to catch some of the Jazz Fest this week while I'm on holiday...

Cheers for the heads up Mike. And it was good to see you for beers on Saturday!

That was great great great.

Third time running that I've seen them at BOTW. Had a great catch-up with Mike League and a nice chat with Cory about dance moves and organ fills.

I even took the girlfriend along and she enjoyed it a lot! I believe that we have a convert!

Great set from the young musicians and some nice new tunes from the Pups!