Why become a member? ×

DiMarzio Model One

neepheid

[quote name='bnt' post='216095' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:46 PM']Isn't that the pickup that Billy Sheehan uses in his signature basses? He has an EB pickup in his old Fender "The Wife" - he must like the Bass, then. :)[/quote]

I believe so, although I've seen it referred to as a DiMarzio Woofer. This is probably because of its application in the Sheehan basses where it has a seperate output for going to a different amp.

I only had a quick play with it last night, but the sound seems a lot tighter and more defined than before. Now I've got a spare EB style pickup to flog. Anyone want to build a "wife"? :huh:

[quote name='neepheid' post='216203' date='Jun 10 2008, 02:39 PM']I believe so, although I've seen it referred to as a DiMarzio Woofer. This is probably because of its application in the Sheehan basses where it has a seperate output for going to a different amp.

I only had a quick play with it last night, but the sound seems a lot tighter and more defined than before. Now I've got a spare EB style pickup to flog. Anyone want to build a "wife"? :)[/quote]

Quite correct, 'the Wife' did feature a Gibson EB pup and the DiMarzio is a remodelled version. I often wondered if it was a direct replacement, or adjusted to fit in to the neck position of a Fender string spacing better.

On a similar subject, I would love to know what would happen if you put a MM mpup in the neck position as per 'the wife'. I wouldn't mind hearing what that would offer up sonically.

[quote name='dood' post='216251' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:37 PM']Quite correct, 'the Wife' did feature a Gibson EB pup and the DiMarzio is a remodelled version. I often wondered if it was a direct replacement, or adjusted to fit in to the neck position of a Fender string spacing better.

On a similar subject, I would love to know what would happen if you put a MM mpup in the neck position as per 'the wife'. I wouldn't mind hearing what that would offer up sonically.[/quote]

Pole piece spacing is very similar. The strings on my EB-3 go over each one satisfactorily, maybe not smack in the middle, but it's still better placed than the factory installed bridge pickup! Might do something about that seeing as I'm in a modding mood.

As for your MM hypothesis - get a router out and see! I picked up a Squier P body for £25 recently, so I might investigate this. If it doesn't work out, the hole will be hidden by the pickguard of a P bass anyway :)

[quote name='dood' post='216251' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:37 PM']Quite correct, 'the Wife' did feature a Gibson EB pup and the DiMarzio is a remodelled version. I often wondered if it was a direct replacement, or adjusted to fit in to the neck position of a Fender string spacing better.

On a similar subject, I would love to know what would happen if you put a MM mpup in the neck position as per 'the wife'. I wouldn't mind hearing what that would offer up sonically.[/quote]

I reckon any humbucking type of pick up would work fine. The early Model One was way out on string spacing, maybe because Gibson have narrower string spacing than a Fender, it also had adjustable pole pieces, don't know if the new type does. The other good thing about the old Model One was the black paint easily come off with some white spirits, BINGO! instant Billy appeal :huh: I should stay away from these threads....makes me think how much of a fool I was to get shot of my knackered P bass :) All I have is a photo or two of it.

The main issue with putting pick-ups up by the neck is polepiece/string alignment.
The DM Model one was replaced by the DM Willpower in the Yamaha Attitudes. It has broader polepiece spacing to overcome the "Fender" spacing problem , and is differently wound to sound "fatter" (like it needed to!)

Of course, you can get around this by using a pick-up with blades for polepieces. I think the Bartolini MM Humbuckers are like this beneath the covers.
Alternatively, the MEC "TwinJazz" used in the Warwick Dolphin, Infinity, Vampyre (etc.) is so constructed.
Eitther of these can be tapped or switched for series/parallel, which the Model 1 can't.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='218916' date='Jun 14 2008, 05:41 PM']Eitther of these can be tapped or switched for series/parallel, which the Model 1 can't.[/quote]

Not so - 4 wires + ground = series/parallel/single if you wish, no?

[quote name='dood' post='219185' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:52 PM']Handy info! Thanks guys.. oh and Jase.. I just spotted a pic of *that* bass on another thread... damn! That's mojo'd ;o) very cool![/quote]

Cheers dood! Damn! I wish it would turn up....probably long gone but ya never know.