Why become a member? ×

Please recommend me some tapewounds

markdavid

Hi ,

was hoping someone can help me here , ive currently got a medium scale bass thats strung with Rotosound Trubass tapewounds , however the intonation on the E string is a bit ropey , can anyone recommend a set of tapewounds.

They must be fairly dark sounding like the Rotos and must be available from a uk source (in order to avoid import duty)

Any suggestions ?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='215689' date='Jun 9 2008, 08:35 PM']What do you mean by tapewounds? Flats are often called tape wounds cos thats what they are, flat tape wrapped round a core instead of round wire. Or do you specifically mean nylon tapewounds like the trubass and the GHS nylons?[/quote]

I mean Nylon Tapewounds like the trubass strings

Just had a thought , The E string seems to be too long , even though I got the right scale length for my bass , I wonder whether having part of the actual string wrapped around the tuning post might be causing the intonation issue? I know that this is not usually an issue with rounds and flats but perhaps tapewounds are different

The only one I've tried were by D'Addario, on my fretless. It was a long time ago, and they were OK, but I migrated to groundwounds after that. [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/"]Status Graphite[/url] have "Black Nylon" strings on sale today, 45-105.

32" scale plastic coated are really few and far between - the rotos are the only ones I can think of. However, flats in general opens up a few more excellent choices - Thomastik flats are available in 32" and getting them from Germany avoids extra UK taxes. Same goes for the Pyramid Golds, as used way back when - these are fantastic for the 60's sound. Get the set made for the Hofner beatle bass, and that should be a good fit (the Hofner is 30" scale, but also has a long tailpiece to bridge section).

I don't think extra wrap around the tuner post will cause a problem - but flats can "move" where stressed, so don't be surprised if the windings open up a bit. I'm afraid basses with shorter scales/tailpieces can be a bit hit or miss with strings.

BB

32" scale plastic coated are really few and far between - the rotos are the only ones I can think of. However, flats in general opens up a few more excellent choices - Thomastik flats are available in 32" and getting them from Germany avoids extra UK taxes. Same goes for the Pyramid Golds, as used way back when - these are fantastic for the 60's sound. Get the set made for the Hofner beatle bass, and that should be a good fit (the Hofner is 30" scale, but also has a long tailpiece to bridge section).

I don't think extra wrap around the tuner post will cause a problem - but flats can "move" where stressed, so don't be surprised if the windings open up a bit. I'm afraid basses with shorter scales/tailpieces can be a bit hit or miss with strings.

BB

[quote name='markdavid' post='215909' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:42 AM']Just had a thought , The E string seems to be too long , even though I got the right scale length for my bass , I wonder whether having part of the actual string wrapped around the tuning post might be causing the intonation issue? I know that this is not usually an issue with rounds and flats but perhaps tapewounds are different[/quote]

Shuoldnt be, I have had no issues with nylons and tuning posts. It is easy enough to srtip off some of the nylon tape if you need to but, OOI what intonation issues are you having?

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='216255' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:40 PM']Shuoldnt be, I have had no issues with nylons and tuning posts. It is easy enough to srtip off some of the nylon tape if you need to but, OOI what intonation issues are you having?

:)[/quote]

well , my e string is slightly sharp from the 3rd fret down.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='216421' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:37 PM']So what happens with the 12th fret harmonic and the open string tuning?

Did you have to move the saddles at all to get teh 12th correct?[/quote]

Well the E is ok on the open string , the 12th fret harmonic is ok (?) but the E string fretted at 12th fret is sharp. I have tried a lighter attack and its still sharp so I dont think I am bending it sharp , at the 24th fret the intonation is a semitone out (oh well at least I get an extra fret). The strange thing is the intonation on the other strings is near enough perfect but saddle on E string is maxed out and is still sharp

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='The Burpster' post='216451' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:46 PM']Mark, is tis a new set of strings by chance?

I had a set of Rotos do that to me and after a few weeks they settled down and I had to re set the intonation.

Have you got any of the cotton binding between the string and the saddle?[/quote]

no the string itself is resting on the saddle (have attached picture) , strings are about 2 weeks old

Edited by markdavid

The other thing to check with these strings is how they sit in the nut, most brands come in at around .115 for the E so the string may well be sitting ON the nut groove rather than in it, if so the nut grooves will need opening up a little.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='The Burpster' post='215687' date='Jun 9 2008, 08:31 PM']Well I'm using GHS Nylons (45-100) but I'm sorry I dont know where they are availlable here, I get mine sent over from the US of A

Much much prefer them to the Rotos.[/quote]

How do they compare to the Rotos sound wise , i like the Rotos sound as they are dark and thumpy , however I can live without the funky intonation