Why become a member? ×

Should I be worried....

aende

Hi All,

I am new to a band in a new area of the country, now playing bass; However, previously I have been playing guitar for ~25 years for bands and semi pro. As a guitar player, I was not too bad, I could improvise on request and come up with pretty much anything.

I am a bit worried....The band I play for are good and very precise. Going from guitar to bass has been a steep learning curve and tough on the hands, but I am getting there, getting faster and more fluid. I am still grappling with bass and being more precise in my playing - with guitar you can get away with a few things.

I am still learning their set, taking a little time as I have 2 kids, one of which is 10 weeks old, time is at a premium. I have until August to complete the set list; I am about 80% there, with a bit of tidying. I see no issues, I should be ready in time, however, 2 members of the band also have holiday before the gig, so rehearsal will be odd for 3 weeks or so.

One of the band members wants to have a private meeting with me tonight to discuss stuff.......I am guessing that this is my marching orders....or the meeting that says, we are getting the old bass player back....

What do you think?

Might not be bad news, he might just want to arrange some extra practice sessions or to see how you're getting on with learning the set.

Are you planning on this band being a major source of income for you?
If not then even if they tell you your services are not required it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things is it?

Another band will come along.

This is true, it could be okay news, but a phone call would normally suffice. Not really a source of income.....

It would be annoying more than anything; I like the guys allot, convenient rehearsal space to my pad, music I want to play....

If you are 80% then I assume the band agrees as well... so plenty of time.
What sort of gigs do you need the 20% for...?
In an ideal word, 20% is a big gap..but not a deal breaker down the local pub gig
if everything else is going ok...

They may well be giving you a heads-up on what is still required... and this is fair.
Sacking with little or no warning isn't fair..but then this is not a company/employee type situation.
People will do as they want...

I'd be 50-50 about the meet.. If you want to keep the gig...you can tell them you WILL be ready
and list the reasons why things might be slow.
Anyone will understand...IF they want to. If they have already made up their minds, this isn't anything you can do.

If the guy is going to meet you to tell you it is over why meet privately....so therefore they sound like decent chaps, so keep those options on good terms.
Also, tell them you have joined a Bass Forum FCS..!! :lol: ... they will think you are uber keen

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1373896563' post='2142785']
Also, tell them you have joined a Bass Forum FCS..!! :lol: ... they will think you are uber keen
[/quote]
Or they'll think he'll be too busy talking bollocks online with the rest of us to do any serious practice. :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1373896563' post='2142785']
[/quote]

Don't you mean THE bass forum! with all the help and support you'll find here, you'll be amazing! Worry not, if its bad news, get some more bass-time under your belt and try with a new band, they probably don't deserve you!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1373896790' post='2142790']
Most band members are too spineless to sack people face to face, usually seems to be text or email these days so a proper meeting may just be to see how you are getting on with the set.
[/quote]

+1 i was sacked by email in January from a Kate Bush Tribute band. Great music but completely inexperienced arses. I was better off out!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1373903660' post='2142921']
+1 i was sacked by email in January from a Kate Bush Tribute band. Great music but completely inexperienced arses. I was better off out!
[/quote]
saw the ad for a new bass playa on lemonrock! Glad i never went for it! :)

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1373903660' post='2142921']

[/quote]

At least you got an e-mail. I got a "I thought you knew we had another bass player.". What an arse. His loss though.

Right - Meeting went okay!

No sacking, just appreciative of the time and effort I had put in and that we needed to form a gig plan! Bloody amazed!

I am bloody stoked now!!!! And feel like a tw@t for starting this thread though!

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1373967171' post='2143590']
Right - Meeting went okay!

No sacking, just appreciative of the time and effort I had put in and that we needed to form a gig plan! Bloody amazed!

I am bloody stoked now!!!! And feel like a tw@t for starting this thread though!
[/quote]

That is good..

As for the thread.... what else would we do..?? :lol: :lol:
we'd have to put more hours in at work..??