Why become a member? ×

Am I pushing my cab too hard?

olliedf89

So recently I've been using more effects with my rig, and I was wondering if I could be straining my cab too much. In one song in my covers group I kick on a swollen pickle fuzz (which can be super bassy anyway), sometimes with a sub octave (from my ring thing) to boost certain parts. It sounds great and I've had no sound issues so far, I've just noticed a lot more movement in the cones, and cant help but think I might be pushing too hard sometimes.

Signal chain:
Ibanez ATK > Swollen Pickle > Ring Mod > Other effects > GK700RB > GK210RBH

Is it worth me getting another 210 to help ease the load? Or should I put my money to better uses?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1373633683' post='2139919']
I wouldn't gig with 1 210 anyway, so my view is get another 210 and sound 10 times better.
[/quote]

Do this now, before you end up having to buy 2 cabs...

FX and bass is one thing, but it does hide any stressing, IMO.

Does that GK head have a bi-amp facility? If so you could potentially get another cab to handle the lows more effectively (maybe a 1x15 with a modern long-excursion drive unit) and high-pass the 2x10 to protect the drivers whilst retaining that punch and clarity..

If it sounds good & the speakers ain't stressing then I wouldn't worry. If you're running out of excursion, add another cab of the same.
I have no problems using a single 2x10. Considered adding another, but none of the gigs I've done so far warrant it (bigger gigs have had PA support).

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1373666224' post='2140506']
Does that GK head have a bi-amp facility? If so you could potentially get another cab to handle the lows more effectively (maybe a 1x15 with a modern long-excursion drive unit) and high-pass the 2x10 to protect the drivers whilst retaining that punch and clarity..
[/quote]
With modern drivers the excursion (& punch/clarity/lows) is probably the same throughout a model's range regardless of diameter.
I know the specs given for the Markbass Standard 1x15 & 2x10 cabs are the same for excursion (found on the B&C website) & for the frequency response.

Modern driver technology, eh.. It's like magic! I haven't taken the step yet but my friend rob gets great results from the Markbass 4x6" cabs..

The 1x15 / bi-amp was just an example but as said, another cab would take a bit of pressure off your existing one even if the current drivers are still working within their capabilities..

Yeah it does have the bi-amp, which is why I'm pondering about getting this other GK 210rbh I've found, because it suits me perfectly. it's just that the petrol cost & 4 hour round trip are making me think twice! Maybe I'll leave it till after tonight's gig and see how it goes with just the one!

Okay so tonight at my gig mostly all went fine, except I started to notice (as i have before) I saw a white rim showing round the edge of my speaker cones. I remedied it after turning the tweeter down it settled. It mostly just happened from extravhigh end or fuzzyness.

Without sounding too much like a novice... Is this normal, just doing what it should do, or am I pushing the tweeter too hard? Which I can obviously tweak being a gk bi amp. Didn't use the octave as it was cutting out for some reason.

The 'white' you describe is probably the bulb on the HF protection circuit lighting up. A number of companies use the light bulb as a 'leak off rail' when too much power is sent into the HF network. The excess power is soaked up and lights the bulb instead of frying your HF device.

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1373762921' post='2141459']
The 'white' you describe is probably the bulb on the HF protection circuit lighting up. A number of companies use the light bulb as a 'leak off rail' when too much power is sent into the HF network. The excess power is soaked up and lights the bulb instead of frying your HF device.
[/quote]

Didn't know that! Almost acts like a clipping LED used by other amps. Thanks!