Why become a member? ×

Amp advice needed to get me back up and gigging **Updated with Shortlist***

bagsieblue

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1373829348' post='2142052']
I'd say get yourself to a shop & try them all out as they are all different sounding rigs. Some of those are completely different from others (tone & volume).

Do yourself a favour & add MarkBass to your list & try it before you buy.
[/quote]

Good advice on both parts.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1373827673' post='2142017']
Any more input please?

I've got options on:

Orange OCB115
TC ELECTRONIC Classic 450 head
TC electronic[b] rh4[/b]50
Hartke AK410
Ashdown Mag 400-the one with a red face
EBS HD350
Accugroove tri110l
EBS proline 300
Ampeg B2RE
Ashdown Mag 300 (combo)
GK MB500
GK MB210 Combo
Ashdown 5 15 100w
Ashdown EB 15 150w
[/quote]

EBS HD is the class performer in that list...IMO

Thanks for the input.
Unsure as to how long it will be before we gig as it is a newly formed band - only had two rehersals but things are coming together.

Should I go for a lightweight combo to fulfill the immediate need?
Any suggestions on a compact portable lighgtweight combo?

I wouldn't buy anything until you've tried a good few out for yourself. If the rehearsal room has a rig, then you shouldn't really need anything until you're looking to get your whole band sound together (then you should all be using your own gear, unless the rooms have the same rigs :) ).

Lightweight gear makes a difference when you're running into/out of a venue or carrying the thing out of the car to the house after an evening of playing.

I can recommend the Markbass 2x10 combo & there's a few on here (Lozz for one) that praise the Marbass 1x12 combo.

I have to agree with StingrayPete1977.

If you want it light for carrying, and you want it to fit into a smallish car boot, a separate head and cab is a better option. It will probably weigh slightly more than the equivalent combo, but you can lift each part separately, and you can fit them into the car boot in ways that a combo doesn't.

You also have more options when you buy, and if you buy a pair of cabs, you have further options of one for rehearsals and two for the gig, etc. Finally, if any part of your kit fails, you only have to borrow / hire a replacement for the broken bit.

You have had comment about BF (Barefaced) cabs, but there is also BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice) cabs. <http://billfitzmaurice.net/ > They are lightweight, and loud, and come up for sale from time to time. I'm about 30 miles down the road from you, so if you want to check out a pair of BFM Jack 10s, let me know.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1374186175' post='2146359']
I have to agree with StingrayPete1977.

If you want it light for carrying, and you want it to fit into a smallish car boot, a separate head and cab is a better option. It will probably weigh slightly more than the equivalent combo, but you can lift each part separately, and you can fit them into the car boot in ways that a combo doesn't.

You also have more options when you buy, and if you buy a pair of cabs, you have further options of one for rehearsals and two for the gig, etc. Finally, if any part of your kit fails, you only have to borrow / hire a replacement for the broken bit.

You have had comment about BF (Barefaced) cabs, but there is also BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice) cabs. <http://billfitzmaurice.net/ > They are lightweight, and loud, and come up for sale from time to time. I'm about 30 miles down the road from you, so if you want to check out a pair of BFM Jack 10s, let me know.

David
[/quote]

That's good advice to check, but very subjective to the combo choice.
The Markbass 2x10 combo is the same size as the 2x10 std cab & the head can be removed (though you need to get a top cover to put on it). There's quite a few good combos like this these days (not just Markbass).

I've heard good things about the BFM cabs, definitely worth a try out. :)