Why become a member? ×

Before a Bass is "Reliced"...What is it?

Lowender

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373463368' post='2137875']
A deliberately damaged musical instrument is an aberration, a passing fad which will one day be viewed with contempt and amusement.
[/quote]

As far as I am concerned that day is yesterday, today and tomorrow!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1373613933' post='2139556']
I love basses, but they are also tools to be used.
[/quote]

That's how I feel. Some people get very hung up about how their basses look rather than how they sound or play...

I think it does take some skill to relic a bass. I don't own one, but if the right one came up, I would.

Most DIY jobs look terrible.

I remember when everyone saif pre-washed jeans wouldn't last...and they are still on sale. In fact, I barely see jeans that aren't 'worn' artificially, (usually just the colour).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373463368' post='2137875']
A deliberately damaged musical instrument is an aberration, a passing fad which will one day be viewed with contempt and amusement.

If there is one thing it does NOT require, it's artistic skill.
[/quote]

Just a cold, cold heart.

Anything that involves aesthetics is purely subjective, and the fact is 'relicing' - or lack thereof - is an aesthetic thing. I like how a little bit of relicing looks, I would consider buying a pre-relic'd bass, and anyone who told me otherwise (ESPECIALLY using the 'if you want relic'd get a new bass and gig it for 40 years' argument) would be be asked to eff off. Just my two penn'orth.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373637034' post='2139995']
I apologise if this offends anyone, but I couldn't resist it - Heavy relic indeed!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LesterGuitars-Stratocaster-HEAVY-RELIC-Guitar-Body-Vintage-Rare-/151061572154?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item232bf8aa3a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item232bf8aa3a[/url]
[/quote]

Heavily reliced in a fire? Haha

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373637034' post='2139995']
I apologise if this offends anyone, but I couldn't resist it - Heavy relic indeed!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LesterGuitars-Stratocaster-HEAVY-RELIC-Guitar-Body-Vintage-Rare-/151061572154?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item232bf8aa3a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item232bf8aa3a[/url]
[/quote]

Looks more like a pub table! :lol:

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1373613933' post='2139556']
I'll add to that the fact that reissues and vintage are also a waste of time in my book. I just buy something current, say a MIM or MIA Fender, mod it if required, then gig it. I love basses, but they are also tools to be used.
[/quote]

How can you possibly have a problem with a re-issue? They make perfect sense.

It all started when Fender was slipping and people were looking for the older models simply because they were better. Fender realized they had the specs and in some cases many of the old parts to the Pre-CBS models and simply reproduced them. It worked. They aren't rocket ships. They're pieces of wood with electronics.

A well made 62 re-issue is essentially a 62. I can't say that's the case with every re-issue but I've played some where you honestly could not tell the difference. So if you like that, why ignore it? On principle?!?

Edited by Lowender

It's purely down to what aesthetic appeals to the owner, I don't have a problem with it really. Plenty of items are made to look 'worn in' as its more visually appealing for certain people - jeans, plant pots, garden furniture, bricks etc.
I'd like to see some basses available with lightly 'worn in' necks and [i]slightly[/i] aged bodies but without the cheesy fag burns and dents.