Why become a member? ×

How would you approach bass if you had only one finger on each hand?

xilddx

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1373444191' post='2137552']
If it were a change that were forced upon me, (through accident for example) then I'd probably start by taking a huge amount of psychological support from the likes of Rick Allen and the awesome Bill Clements who are just two who have rebuilt their playing and career after a loss of a limb. An incredible inspiration to all musicians.
[/quote]

Interesting point about Rick Allen:
He must be the only drummer to lose an arm to a car with not one, but two bass related names- Corvette Stingray.

It was a C4 IIRC. It crashed and the seatbelt came undone. It was the buckle that did the damage, supposedly. Nasty.
Good on him for showing the determination to start again from the ground up.
And good on Def Leppard for supporting him.

Please give it some further consideration before going down this road, it may make your bass playing more simplistic, but I'm pretty sure they don't grow back, and it will probably affect your ability to perform other tasks, like counting.

Nose picking options would be less confusing though.

Actually, I might take up the trombone. When I was at school playing guitar in a Glenn Miller tribute band, one of the trumpet players had a missing hand. He had a sophisticated hook for everyday use but he'd take that off for playing the trumpet and put on a special adaptor.

And a while ago I played a gig at a pub which had a house band. I thought the (two-armed) bassist was playing with hammer-ons so he could make adjustments to his amp, but after a little while realised that he simply didn't have the use of his right arm. Turned out he'd had a stroke some time before but it hadn't stopped him playing.

• 2 weeks later...