Why become a member? ×

Glenn Hughes Live !

Johngh

I went to see Glenn Hughes at the Robin 2 at Wolverhampton on Friday night, he was absolutely brilliant. He was that good, that I went to Liverpool on Saturday night to see him again !
Out of all the ex Purps, Glenn's music is forever moving with the times, his new album First Underground Nuclear Kitchen (F.U.N.K.) is one of his best yet. If any of you get chance to get to his London show on Tuesday at the Astoria 2 get to see him, and see a master Bassist / Vocalist at work.

Glenn Hughes is AWESOME! I supported him over ten years ago now and would just like to put out a big shout to my very good mate Matt Goom who is playing drums for Glenn now.

#Check out ma man on drums with Glenn here! [url="http://www.myspace.com/mattgoom"]http://www.myspace.com/mattgoom[/url]

I played with Matt for a long while with Andy James who has gone on to join 'Sacred Mother Tongue' who are also doing well for themselves.

Back to Glenn though.. WHAT A VOICE! I love the track 'Soul Mover' - indeed when Matt first became friends with Glenn and his 'soul brother' Chad Smith, we used to play the song in our own band!

And this is what happens when Matt invites you out for an after show party.. it was about 3am.. keeping a hotel lobby open I don't look so good there!!!

Glenn is a legend, he's absolutley amazing. I was blown away when he signed a picture saying "From one bass player to another" He had the same effect on me as Billy did when I spoke to him....yep! I was a babbling idiot :) The Oval in Norwich...many moons ago!

It's never ceased to amaze me why Glenn is slated by the Purple faithful as some sort of anti-christ. It's not even as if that band isn't prone to the odd line up change.

Maybe it says more about one dimensional thinking in the fan base than it does about Glenns (too short) contributions.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='215267' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:25 AM']It's never ceased to amaze me why Glenn is slated by the Purple faithful as some sort of anti-christ. It's not even as if that band isn't prone to the odd line up change.

Maybe it says more about one dimensional thinking in the fan base than it does about Glenns (too short) contributions.[/quote]

Glenn is the reason I took up Bass over 30 years ago. I think it causes a stir with the diehard purp fans because of his "Voice of Rock" tag. The simple fact is his voice has just got better and better
as time has gone on.

[quote name='Jase' post='215182' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:13 AM']Glenn is a legend, he's absolutley amazing. I was blown away when he signed a picture saying "From one bass player to another" He had the same effect on me as Billy did when I spoke to him....yep! I was a babbling idiot :huh: The Oval in Norwich...many moons ago![/quote]

The Oval? Was it not The Waterfront? I wasn't aware that they came up a second time?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='215184' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:18 AM']But Dood, you is hugging Jeff Ament not Glenn Hughes... you must have been wasted :)[/quote]

Or is it *actually* Will Ferrell??

Hi dood, I'm sure it was The Oval....the venue with the Maiden thing going on....you got me thinking now, The Waterfront rings a bell too, long time ago...anyone know of a gig list / history of Glenn???

[quote name='Jase' post='215440' date='Jun 9 2008, 01:57 PM']Hi dood, I'm sure it was The Oval....the venue with the Maiden thing going on....you got me thinking now, The Waterfront rings a bell too, long time ago...anyone know of a gig list / history of Glenn???[/quote]

[quote name='Jase' post='215450' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:07 PM']We're talking early 90's....I'm so old, I get into these threads and it just ends up reminding me that I ain't getting any younger :)[/quote]

Ahhh yes.. sorry.. I thought you meant when Sheehan played the Oval!! lol.. no, you are quite right, Glenn did play the Oval mid nineties.. I was there ;o) on stage!! We were Glenn's support! Somewhere aroun 94-98.. I'd have to check.

Glenn's second gig in Norwich was a cuppla years ago.. that was at the Waterfront.. and .. errr I was there too! ;o)

Ahhh, right got you dood, no I've seen Billy in Newport Wales and when he did "Billy's Back" with Ampeg, the clinics in Wapping high street. Well if you did the support around 94 I may have seen you :) if it was closer to 98 I know I wasn't there....just trying to connect things up....I know I had a gig there myself, not Glenns support just a gig on our own IIRC, that's how we heard about Glenns gig...PHwoa!! those were the days :huh: Slightly off topic...do you know a gig The Fighting Cocks, Great Yarmouth?? used to make a noise there too!!

[quote name='Jase' post='215460' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:30 PM']do you know a gig The Fighting Cocks, Great Yarmouth?? used to make a noise there too!![/quote]

Yes! We used to play there all the time too!! heh heh!! Those were the days! SMALL WORLD! - So who were you playin' for?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='215267' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:25 AM']It's never ceased to amaze me why Glenn is slated by the Purple faithful as some sort of anti-christ. It's not even as if that band isn't prone to the odd line up change.

Maybe it says more about one dimensional thinking in the fan base than it does about Glenns (too short) contributions.[/quote]

To be fair it was Glenn and Tommy Bolin's drugs excesses that finally drove DP into the ground in the mid 70's so I can understand some fans opinions, though musically it was probably running out of steam by then anyway. Seen Glenn play solo a couple of times and he seems very genuine and learned from his earlier mistakes in life. I think he just has one of those naturally addictive personalities and has to be a bit careful of the people he hangs out with. Always thought he was a bit underrated as a bass player because his voice is so strong and tends to grab the attention.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='dood' post='215487' date='Jun 9 2008, 03:19 PM']Yes! We used to play there all the time too!! heh heh!! Those were the days! SMALL WORLD! - So who were you playin' for?[/quote]

That would have been with Ray Phillips of Budgie, a 3pce set up doing a huge set of old and new Budgie tracks!

What band were you with then?

[quote name='Jase' post='215558' date='Jun 9 2008, 05:13 PM']That would have been with Ray Phillips of Budgie, a 3pce set up doing a huge set of old and new Budgie tracks!

What band were you with then?[/quote]

Ahhh I don't recall the name.. My mate Andy was offered the Australian Budgie tour last year, but is busy with his own band at the mo'. I was playing lead guitar for a pretty successful local band called 'Sod's Law'. We supported a lot of 'big names' at the time, which was really cool.

[quote name='KevB' post='215499' date='Jun 9 2008, 03:37 PM']Always thought he was a bit underrated as a bass player because his voice is so strong and tends to grab the attention.[/quote]

You've just reminded me, on the same night as the picture above, Glenn Hughes played bass and sang 'Mistreated' with only the accompaniment of Chad Smith on drums. I have gotta tell you, it was a jaw dropping experience!!! Needed no other band members!!

He then went on to play 'Soul Mover' and I think they did a bit of 'Burn' IIRC, again with only drums.

[quote name='dood' post='215614' date='Jun 9 2008, 06:38 PM']Ahhh I don't recall the name.. My mate Andy was offered the Australian Budgie tour last year, but is busy with his own band at the mo'. I was playing lead guitar for a pretty successful local band called 'Sod's Law'. We supported a lot of 'big names' at the time, which was really cool.[/quote]

Yeah, they get around a bit, I think Burke is around the 60 mark...I know Ray is...still pumping it out :) The Australian Tour....Steve Williams on drums I think...not sure, local chap anyway. Ha, I bet you nailed all the supports...guitar player too, I dunno, seems to be a shed load of talent up Norwich :huh:

Glenn......awesome, what a huge talent!!! my mouth open all night.

Bass playing never interested me until I heard you fool no one and mistreated from the Burn album. His bass lines were superbly crafted and his voice complimented Coverdale to perfection. I wish they had made a lot more albums with that line up, 2 wasn't enough

I saw Glenn with Trapeze many many years ago, they were an excellent underated band at the time.

A track off his new CD FUNK is on the free CD with Classic Rock magazine this month, excellent groove with Chad Smith on the Drums.

The CD also features a new track of the Journey CD, the new vocalist from the Phillapenes sounds just like Steve Perry.

Apparently the guy was singing in a Journey tribute band out there and he was spotted on My Space, what a gig, ending up being the frontman for the real band.

[quote name='steantval' post='215839' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:43 PM']Apparently the guy was singing in a Journey tribute band out there and he was spotted on My Space, what a gig, ending up being the frontman for the real band.[/quote]

Sounds like a similar story about a chap I know through a friend, called Fraser. He used to play in a Stone Roses tribute band, when Mr Brown came along looking for a backing band to take on tour with him. Fraser and the guitarist (I think) got the gig. How cool eh!!

Brian, Roger, I'm still waiting for the call... Even if Mr Mercury isn't with us anymore. ;o)