Why become a member? ×

ABY boxes in reverse?

EliasMooseblaster

I don't *think* this has been covered before, but admittedly it's a bit hard to know what to search for.

So: anybody know anything about the wiring in a typical ABY box? This is probably a stupid question, but since they're used for running a single guitar/bass signal to two rigs, could one use one in reverse? That is, have two basses plugged into the box, sending the signal out to one amp, so I could switch between the two without having to fanny around with unplugging cables, etc?

If the device is a simple, passive switch box then it would be able to do what you describe.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it would be a simple task to make one yourself with a few bits from somewhere like Maplins. Even using good quality connectors should leave you plenty of change out of £20.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1373285889' post='2135610']
If you're handy with a soldering iron, it would be a simple task to make one yourself with a few bits from somewhere like Maplins. Even using good quality connectors should leave you plenty of change out of £20.
[/quote]

Well, this was the other option, of course - there is a Maplin just down the road from my office. And looking at the prices of these things online, I could probably save myself a few quid and have fun burning my fingers with a soldering iron to boot!

Just to add to whats been said before.

Most passive boxes are able to run in the opposite direction.

Although I have tried a fair few, to run two sets of parallels effects but most strugged to have a decent output when both are on.
I'm assuming you are using it to switch basses between songs though, to which i will say that's fine but the issue comes with gain differences, but as long as the basses are fairly even it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1373463260' post='2137872']
Although I have tried a fair few, to run two sets of parallels effects but most strugged to have a decent output when both are on.
I'm assuming you are using it to switch basses between songs though, to which i will say that's fine but the issue comes with gain differences, but as long as the basses are fairly even it shouldn't be a problem.
[/quote]

Well, that's the other thing I was worried about - it would just be to switch between basses, but I'm not sure how different their output levels are likely to be. Of course, it would hardly be the end of the world if I just had to go and adjust the volume of the amp!

The advantage of building my own, of course, would be having the option to add a volume trim to each input so I could match them, but perhaps that would just be a bit too anally retentive. I need to take the 8-string along to a few more rehearsals anyway and see how it compares with the EB-3 in a band setting.

If you mean a simple splitter cable then I'd be wary of that arrangement. Probably not a good idea to have both basses connected in parallel to the amp input.

Worth a try, perhaps, if you happen to have a suitable cable, but I'd prefer a switching arrangement that only connected one bass at a time to the amp input.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1373535793' post='2138662']
Well, that's the other thing I was worried about - it would just be to switch between basses, but I'm not sure how different their output levels are likely to be. Of course, it would hardly be the end of the world if I just had to go and adjust the volume of the amp!
[/quote]

If you set the amp volume to suit the quietest bass, you could always then set the instrument volume of the loudest bass lower to balance them out... :)