Why become a member? ×

Suggest some Jazz bass pickups

Sibob

Hi guys,

I'm looking to swap out the Wizard 64s in my Jazz bass, they just aren't cutting it for me, so much quieter than my Precision (fair enough) and US Jazz Standard (not so fair enough).
Am looking for high-ish output and a nice fat tone (split coils??)
Suggestions.
I'm staying passive btw

Cheers
Si

I'd suggest Lindy Fralin pickups.

The reviews are always good and I know 2 players with them in their Jazz basses who are very happy with their sound.

The current Fender N3 pickups are supposed to sound good.

On this topic I give some pointers to another basschatter on the pickups I've tried over the last couple of years.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211019-jazz-bass-pick-ups/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211019-jazz-bass-pick-ups/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I've just put the silver series pickups I mention on sale, in the marketplace, if they sound like your kind of thing.

Maybe a series/parallel switch? Cheap mod and in series mode it will beef things up nicely, getting into P territory.

Otherwise, SD Basslines Antiquity II are fantastic pickups. The bridge pickup in isolation has alot of warmth and output. Very usable.

I think I might order either some Wizard 84's or some Dimarzio UltraJazz. I've had the UJ's before, and remember them being pretty hot, but the 84's have less of an outlay (new at least).

The Series/Parallel switch is an idea, but the switch would need to be internal as it's a vintage bass :), I do love the S1 switch on my USA Jazz, I just run it in series the whole time.
I might just wire the bass in series with the new pickups perhaps.

Has anyone directly compared the Wizard 64's with the 84s?

Cheers for the suggestions so far! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1373102413' post='2133683']
Hi guys,

I'm looking to swap out the Wizard 64s in my Jazz bass, they just aren't cutting it for me, so much quieter than my Precision (fair enough) and US Jazz Standard (not so fair enough).
Am looking for high-ish output and a nice fat tone (split coils??)
Suggestions.
I'm staying passive btw

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

I'd love to recycle you Wizards in my Squier if theyr'e not in the bin yet ?