Why become a member? ×

Icthus guitars

Thunderbird

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this make? I have recently acquired one of these for one of my sons but I know nothing about the brand I cant seem to find anything on google about it either I thought it was just some cheepo make guitar but it looks and sounds far to good when he plays it, I cant find any serial numbers on the guitar all it has is ICTHUS stamped on the headstock. It looks to me like it is from the mid 70's to early 80's but I'm really just guessing here so if any of you guys have any ideas on this brand that would be great :)

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374904937' post='2154581']
Aren't they the ones that melt if you play them too close to stage lights? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Icarus guitars are what you're thinking of there bud? Notorious they were in the late 60's

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1374906364' post='2154591']
Icarus guitars are what you're thinking of there bud? Notorious they were in the late 60's
[/quote] Hi Andy no it is definitely Icthus and sorry I have not put any pictures on yet my camera has decided it doesn't want to work anymore.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1375039147' post='2156067']
Hi Andy no it is definitely Icthus and sorry I have not put any pictures on yet my camera has decided it doesn't want to work anymore.
[/quote]

Haha no mate, I was responding to icastle's pithy classiciscm about icarus and melting in the sun...

Icthus is greek for fish...

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1375228515' post='2158693']
Strictly speaking there isn't really an equivalent for chi in English: ΙΧΘΥΣ. In the circumstances icthus probably replicates the sound of the Greek word as well as ichthus. In Greece very often chi is translated as a H, and would be pronounced the same was as the H in Ahmed.
[/quote]

I cannot, off the top of my head, think of a single Greek-derived English word in which chi is transliterated as "c" instead of "ch". Anyone?

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1375273718' post='2159071']
I cannot, off the top of my head, think of a single Greek-derived English word in which chi is transliterated as "c" instead of "ch". Anyone?
[/quote]
It's a bit of a stretch, but Χανάαν is usually written in English with a C.

But you're right, I can't think of a genuine Greek-derived word that is written in English with a chi represented by a c rather than ch.