Why become a member? ×

Semi-Acoustic / Electro Acoustic Advice please!

Clarky72

I need to get hold of a semi-acoustic for our band, and never really dabbled in this area before. Does anyone have any advice or used any they can share experiences with me?

I'm looking to spend around £500 tops, and want to use it acoustically, as well as with a 5-piece (2 guitar) band, so i need one with a bit of bass.

I've read some reviews of 30" scale ones not being ballsy enough sometimes for example...

I've seen the Italia Torino, and Samick Royale which look good as well as the Epiphone Jack Cassidy. I love the Duesenberg Starplayer, but can't afford that right now...

(Edited to correct my awful typing!)

Edited by Clarky72

We supported a Free Tribute band some months back, and their bassist was playing one of the Ibanez semis. It sounded fantastic, and I've had GAS for one ever since.

If you're thinking of using a semi unplugged, though, you're not going to get a lot more volume than you do on a solid body.

Edited by canarybass

[quote name='canarybass' timestamp='1373017899' post='2132769']
We supported a Free Tribute band some months back, and their bassist was playing one of the Ibanez semis. It sounded fantastic, and I've had GAS for one ever since.

If you're thinking of using a semi unplugged, though, you're not going to get a lot more volume than you do on a solid body.
[/quote]

Was that one of these by any chance?
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-agb200-tbr-transparent-brown/3358

Did you get a chance to play it at all?

I thought I would get more volume out of a semi, that's surprising... but then I've never even picked one up before so I wouldn't know!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1373022940' post='2132857']
Yeah I meant as you thought, acoustically at home practicing (when the baby is asleep and the GK can't be cranked in the lounge) ;)
[/quote]

Plus, I will be using it for acoustic sets with the band too...

I have a Kelly dragonfly that sounds great acoustically although the B string is a bit quiet compared to the rest. Again, electrically the E A D and G strings come across well but the B string barely gets picked up . Overall though the bass feels and plays great with labella deep talkin flats. took a bit of effort to get the action right when I first got it but it's stayed pretty solid for a good few years now.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1373023517' post='2132869']
I have a Kelly dragonfly that sounds great acoustically although the B string is a bit quiet compared to the rest. Again, electrically the E A D and G strings come across well but the B string barely gets picked up . Overall though the bass feels and plays great with labella deep talkin flats. took a bit of effort to get the action right when I first got it but it's stayed pretty solid for a good few years now.
[/quote]

That does look nice, and its 34" scale which is good. Seems a few people have been unimpressed with the low B, maybe the 4string is the one to go for.. hmmmm

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1373023354' post='2132863']
Plus, I will be using it for acoustic sets with the band too...
[/quote]

Plugged in I hope - an unplugged semi-acoustic is only a little louder than an unplugged solid body. It's a little better for solo practice but you have absolutely no chance of being heard against anything acoustically when you consider that most acoustic bass guitars struggle to acheive this.

Going back to the original question, I have an Epiphone Jack Casady and I think it's lovely, both in terms of looks and sound. But you'll need to plug it in to be heard over ... anything really.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1373023237' post='2132860']
Was that one of these by any chance?
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-agb200-tbr-transparent-brown/3358"]http://www.gak.co.uk...rent-brown/3358[/url]

Did you get a chance to play it at all?

I thought I would get more volume out of a semi, that's surprising... but then I've never even picked one up before so I wouldn't know!
[/quote]

No, it was one of these:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-afb200-bs-brown-sunburst/3361"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-afb200-bs-brown-sunburst/3361[/url]

I think they're completely hollow bodied, so you would actually get a bit more acoustic volume than you would get on a semi-acoustic wih a centre block (like the one in your link).

I can recommend looking out for a Yamaha Bex. There's a piezo under the bridge in addition to the soap bar. I see you have a Barefaced cab; through my Big One the low-end is real 'rolling thunder'.
If you're anywhere nearby you are welcome to take a look at mine (not for sale though!)