Why become a member? ×

Only just noticed

Exile252

[quote name='Exile252' post='214336' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:46 PM']They all have rosewood fretboards, infact I've never owned an instrument with-out a rosewood fretboard. Just found this slightly odd hehe.
Anyone else done this type of thing without thinking?[/quote]

Good point....all the basses I have ever owned have had rosewood fingerboards !!! so why has the first production bass I am making got a maple fingerboard ?

On a similar point has anyone ever had a maple fingerboard fretless ? could be a first.

cheers.....eastwind

[quote name='BigRedX' post='214353' date='Jun 7 2008, 02:05 PM']Like this?

There's someone on this forum with a maple board Fender too.[/quote]

Phew !!!! thanks for that I've just received 2 fretless necks in maple/ maple from my supplier for building up, I have no experience of using maple for a fretboard so its god to know there are some out there.
Cool looking bass

Edited by eastwind

Thanks!

It's a Lightwave Sabre A. I have a fretted neck for it as well although I can't really see myself ever fitting it as the pickup system is so good for fretless.

However the fretless neck has had nothing more abrasive than D'Addario half -rounds on it since it's been in my possession. It's currently strung with TI Jazz Flats which are the only flats I really like.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='214382' date='Jun 7 2008, 02:27 PM']Thanks!

However the fretless neck has had nothing more abrasive than D'Addario half -rounds on it since it's been in my possession. It's currently strung with TI Jazz Flats which are the only flats I really like.[/quote]

Thats what I am worried about, the wear rate. Is the fretboard lacquered or is it bare wood ? I may experiment with some high tech coatings to see if they stand up to roundwounds.

Anyway back to the original thread ..... I think rosewood fingerboards must outnumber maple by at least 10 to 1 so is probably why most people only ever experience rosewood, ebony or ebanol.
Unless its a conscious decision to have a maple board it probably never even registers with most people.

The fingerboard is bare wood which is why it's got flats on it. Actually they sound great with the Lightwave pickup system, so doubt I'll be trying anything else on it soon.

To get back to the original post...

Personally I don't like basses with light-coloured fingerboards unless the body is a similar light coloured wood. My three favourite basses all have ebony fingerboards.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='214391' date='Jun 7 2008, 02:45 PM']The fingerboard is bare wood which is why it's got flats on it. Actually they sound great with the Lightwave pickup system, so doubt I'll be trying anything else on it soon.

To get back to the original post...

Personally I don't like basses with light-coloured fingerboards unless the body is a similar light coloured wood. My three favourite basses all have ebony fingerboards.[/quote]

I think it depends on the combination of body, neck and hardware and the sound you are after, heres a few examples

[attachment=9390:Maple_Ebanol.jpg]
[attachment=9391:Maple02.jpg]

Top one is a mighty mite maple / ebanol
Lower is my own specification far east maple /maple

I've only ever owned one maple boarded bass, and that was my stagg MM copy. I do like maple boards, but they have to go with the bass.... as opposed to rosewood that goes with almost anything. I really want either a squier VM jazz fretted with the maple board or a maple board stingray tbh.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='214353' date='Jun 7 2008, 02:05 PM']Like this?

There's someone on this forum with a maple board Fender too.[/quote]
Aye, was gonna mention you, and actually it wasn't a fender, was a no name p-bass copy but yeah, i'm assuming you meant the guy at the bash?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='214520' date='Jun 7 2008, 06:05 PM']Aye, was gonna mention you, and actually it wasn't a fender, was a no name p-bass copy but yeah, i'm assuming you meant the guy at the bash?[/quote]

i think the guy you and big red x are talking about is skywalker?

[quote name='Exile252' post='214336' date='Jun 7 2008, 01:46 PM']They all have rosewood fretboards, infact I've never owned an instrument with-out a rosewood fretboard. Just found this slightly odd hehe.
Anyone else done this type of thing without thinking?[/quote]

I have almost the opposite problem - I prefer Fender-type instruments with rosewood fretboards yet my 78 Precision, Squier VM Precision and Telecaster copy are all maple boards! Not a conscious decision on my part but just the way things go.

Andy :)

Both my Japanese '51 P basses had maple fretboards and they sounded fantastic for it.

I have akways wanted a late 70s fretless just like the one that john deacon from queen usd to have.

the coated maple fretboards sound fanastic but the non coated ones get very dirty very quickly. My stingray got dirty far too quickly