Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ampeg Pre-amps

bassjamm

Hello you beautiful people,

Just wondered if anyone has any views on the Ampeg pre-amps, in particular, the BSP Billy one.

I'm considering a bit of a rig change and use an SVT II (non-pro) which absolutely kicks ass, i love the tone, so if i can get the pre-amps tone in a stand alone pre-amp, i'd be a happy chappy!

Also, how much should i expect to pay for a BSP second hand, or the SVP-CL???

Any help would be wicked!

Thanks
Jamie

Morning,

I can provide a glowing endorsement of the SVP Preamp this morning, having done my first two gigs with it over the weekend.
Running straight to FOH it was absolutely awesome. It covered the subtle sections admirably (even without a compressor) and then tore the face off everything in the rockier stuff. It has the real growl of the SVT's that I love, and bit through two guitars, keyboards, synths, and the drummer.

Never been happier with my live sound (apart from when I get my AB/Y switching sorted out and get my Eden Pre in there too!!)

[quote name='Jase' post='215240' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:33 AM']Used one of these for a while, with a power amp and a 2x15, gorgeous sound wish I still had it.

[attachment=9443:ampeg_svt_iip2.jpg][/quote]

Ooooo...that's the pre-amp section out of my SVT II (old non-pro version). I didn't realise they did a pre-amp version.

I'd be interested in one of those if i were to see one!!!

[quote name='coasterbass' post='215225' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:09 AM']Morning,

I can provide a glowing endorsement of the SVP Preamp this morning, having done my first two gigs with it over the weekend.
Running straight to FOH it was absolutely awesome. It covered the subtle sections admirably (even without a compressor) and then tore the face off everything in the rockier stuff. It has the real growl of the SVT's that I love, and bit through two guitars, keyboards, synths, and the drummer.

Never been happier with my live sound (apart from when I get my AB/Y switching sorted out and get my Eden Pre in there too!!)[/quote]Now, that sounds like a good plan. :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='215225' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:09 AM']I can provide a glowing endorsement of the SVP Preamp this morning, having done my first two gigs with it over the weekend.

Never been happier with my live sound (apart from when I get my AB/Y switching sorted out and get my Eden Pre in there too!!)[/quote]

Hey Nick, glad to hear you're happy with the SVP!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='215287' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:05 AM']Ooooo...that's the pre-amp section out of my SVT II (old non-pro version). I didn't realise they did a pre-amp version.

I'd be interested in one of those if i were to see one!!![/quote]

I had mine 15 years ago or more maybe! I don't know how recent that pic is but the site it came from were selling one for $325.

Well boys and girls...

My SVP-Pro arrived a few hours ago...so far, so good!!! Very interesting little box indeed, certainly has a bit more modernness about it compared to my SVT, but in a good way. The SVT, which i got back yesterday after a pre-amp re-valve and service...is sounding flippin' awesome!!! The highs seem a little more surpressed and less in your face, which i'm loving! The SVP-Pro doesn't capture that quite the same, but it seems to have a bit more fullness to the tone maybe. Mind you, i've not really tried them properly...i don't have a power amp so i'm fiddling around with FX loop send and receive jacks at the moment :)

Still...the SVT-IIP pre-amp is of massive interest!!! I don't want to let my amp go if i don't have to, but if i could get the pre-amp version, i'd be sorted :huh:

[quote name='bassjamm' post='216707' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:04 AM']Well boys and girls...

My SVP-Pro arrived a few hours ago...so far, so good!!! Very interesting little box indeed, certainly has a bit more modernness about it compared to my SVT, but in a good way. The SVT, which i got back yesterday after a pre-amp re-valve and service...is sounding flippin' awesome!!! The highs seem a little more surpressed and less in your face, which i'm loving! The SVP-Pro doesn't capture that quite the same, but it seems to have a bit more fullness to the tone maybe. Mind you, i've not really tried them properly...i don't have a power amp so i'm fiddling around with FX loop send and receive jacks at the moment :)

Still...the SVT-IIP pre-amp is of massive interest!!! I don't want to let my amp go if i don't have to, but if i could get the pre-amp version, i'd be sorted :huh:[/quote]

Was it available after jamm?

[quote name='coasterbass' post='215225' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:09 AM']It covered the subtle sections admirably (even without a compressor) and then tore the face off everything in the rockier stuff. It has the real growl of the SVT's that I love, and bit through two guitars, keyboards, synths, and the drummer.[/quote]

I can't help but love your description. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='216827' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:19 PM']I can't help but love your description. :)[/quote]

Thanks! :huh: Maybe I should write the promo brochures? :huh:

I can't sing its praises enough, and I'm comparing it to my SVT-4 that I've been using for 10 years (not that the 4 was lacking in anything, just that the SVP seems to do it... bigger)

Jase - Still waiting to hear back from the fella!!!

It certainly is a nice sound though guys! I messaged Dan earlier (previous owner) telling him i was loving it. I find it's a bit cleaner, well, i think it sounds a bit different anyway...from my SVT II that is.

I got the SVT back last night though, and the new pre-amp valves have given it some real nice tones. It sounded awesome before...but now...oooopphhhhh!!! It's almost a tailor made amp for my tastes, the highs aren't as bitey as they were, they're there, and beautiful, but not as zingy to the point of 'uhhhh'...now they're yummy. The SVP pre sounds like my SVT did before the service, in that, the highs need rolling off. But...as you say Coaster...it does everything BIGGER!!! It does sound bigger, top notch i say!!!

Still keen on the idea of the SVT-IIP though :)

Quick question guys...i don't have a power-amp yet. I've got my SVT, and a Hartke HA2000...how can i get the best A/B between the 2 Ampeg pre-amps from that setup? I've run the SVP through my SVT, and i get some electronic interferance which is causing an almighty great 'hum'...but a bit volume cranking soon sees that off :huh:

Thanks
Jam

I'm trying to A/B the 2 pre-amps the same power stage, but not at the same time. So SVP into Hartke, play away, then SVT into Hartke, no play...doesn't want to send a signal!!!

Or, play the SVT as normal, then try the SVP through the SVT's power stage by-passing the SVT's pre-amp...but this creates a lot of electronic interferance...me no like!!!

One thing i want to know, and i'd appreciate honest thoughts.

The SVP...will it give me the same tone as my SVT when used with a solid-state power-amp?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='217057' date='Jun 11 2008, 05:32 PM']I've got an SVT-11P if you want to try it.
I'm in North Yorkshire, where are you?[/quote]

Oooo...interesting!!! Might have to take you up on that!

I'm in Grantham, Lincs, but i'm due a visit to see Geoff (geoffbassist) off here, he's in Leeds...how far from Leeds are you?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='217161' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:16 PM']Harrogate, about 30 minutes from Leeds[/quote]

Ooo...very interesting! Went there with Geoff to see Wayne Shorter play at the Jazz festival last year :) That's cool though!!! I'll certainly get in touch if i'm up that way if it's ok?

How do you find it sounds though?

It sounds like an Ampeg. I can't get a bad sound out of it.
I haven't used for a year or so. I had it in the spare rackspace in my S.W.R. Redhead going into the effects return.
I'd play fretted Fender P or Wal through the Ampeg and fretless or upright through the Redhead, it made a versatile set-up.
I sold the Redhead to Bernmeister last year and put The SVT in a rack and it hasn't been used since.

cheers
Keith

Keith...you have a pm!

Yeah, i've loving the SVP...been messing around with it all night! I'm going to have a tinker with it tomorrow again, hopefully A/B'ing it properly against my SVT-II. I've rigged up my mixer so i can take a D.I out of both pre-amps and listen to them both through the same mixer and headphones. Not ideal, but at least it reduces the variables!

Any thoughts on what it'd sound like through a Power-amp...would i be able to get my SVT's sound?

I can answer that for you as soon as I get a new cab to hook mine up through! Don't know when you'll have yours up and running?

To be honest though, it won't sound like an SVT. The SVP can only ever give you preamp distortion, unlike a full blown SVT, which will give poweramp distortion too. I'm still interested to see what mine will sound like as well! :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='217332' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:53 AM']I can answer that for you as soon as I get a new cab to hook mine up through! Don't know when you'll have yours up and running?

To be honest though, it won't sound like an SVT. The SVP can only ever give you preamp distortion, unlike a full blown SVT, which will give poweramp distortion too. I'm still interested to see what mine will sound like as well! :huh:[/quote]

Ahh...but you see, i'm not after distortion!!! Not to that extent anyway. Although i must admit, when i've cranked it up and it's given me some growl i have been rather fond of it :)

I'm playing funk and jazz mainly, so warmth is what i want!!!