Why become a member? ×

Bergantino cabs

bassjamm

Hi people,

Just wondered what people thought to the Bergantino cabs, both the powered and normal, non-powered versions?

I'm currently using an Ampeg SVT II (1980's non-pro version) with a pair of Dr Bass cabs, an RX210 and RX1260. The Ampeg is the nicest sounding amp i've ever heard, it's exactly what i want, the warmth, and it's my first valve head, but the tone of the vavles is beautiful...but...it weighs half my body weight and i suffer from back problems!!! Also, i love the Dr Bass cabs, the 1260 in particular, it's a wicked cab. But thought i'd see what these Berg cabs are all about.

Anyway, has anyone used the IP cab range and managed to get an ubber warm, valve like sound? I know you can use pre-amps etc, yes, valve pre-amps too...but my Ampeg is all valve, and all valve power is a joy to my ears...just not to my back!!

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks
Jamie

Hi Jamie, I use a HT112 and EX112 with an LMII and it's a nice rig. The cabs are very small but quite heavy - they're really well made and would probably survive a nuclear blast.

I find the sound surprisingly old school - ie; warm and fat but you can get a really nice hifi sound with the tweeter boosted a bit.

I've used Aguilar, Schroeder, Epifani cabs but I think these are probably the best all round for me anyways.

I've just bought two AE112's... & am amazed at how much sound comes out of such small & lightweight boxes!
up to now I've been a 2x10 + 1x15 kind of guy... but the bergs deliver as much punch as I could wish for & a phatt warm bottom! with such clarity.... very impressed indeed!
These seem very 'articulate' cabs... they reproduce exactly what you put through 'em & I have had to fiddle about quite a bit to get what I want to hear from my Peavey T-max head..... (soon to be replaced with a Genz Benz neo-pak 3.5)
portability had become an issue for me & Genz Benz + Bergantino neo's seems the ideal solution... I guess with any drastic change in sound.... I will be tweaking about for a while before settling in with it.... :)

Interesting stuff guys thank you.

Homer - how do you think they compare to the Aguilar's you had then? I did, and still do love the sound of them! They're wicked cabs!

The cab that shouts out at me from the Berg's is the 2x15 really...but it's too heavy to consider...that, with my Ampeg would weigh more than i do!!!! So it's not really an option, nor a solution. And ideally, i want a 1 cab solution, not 2!!! But the 12" cabs aren't highly powered enough, nor the right ohmage to be ideal either!!! Which leads me to thinking that the IP112 with a warm valve pre-amp (maybe Ampeg), may well be an ideal solution???

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Jamie,

I've just swapped my two Agi 112's for a Berg 210 and I'm really happy with it. Now I've got the Berg I realise just how mid-scooped the Agi's were. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Agi's, but I couldn't really get away with just using the one (for practices and small gigs) powered by my Eden WT400 unless I was standing right next to it. Although the Berg is still only an 8Ohm cab the extra mids and increased cone SA mean that volume is no longer a problem.

Like Bottomfeed said, they are really articulate and punchy. My Stingray sounds fantastic through it and I'm really impressed at just how much bottom end it can carry. I'd love to hear it coupled up with an Ampeg!

To be fair, 500 watts should be more than enough to cover my gigs, anything requiring more than that and i'm D.I'ing anyway.

My Thunderfunk was 500 at 4 ohms, and the Ampeg is 300 at 4 (all valve though), so i don't think i'd need more than 500 at 8ohms!!! My concern would be getting a well rounded tone is all i think!!! Just the single cone and cab....hmmm!!!

I see some state side companies offer an IP212 though...oooo tasty!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214460' date='Jun 7 2008, 03:37 PM']Interesting stuff guys thank you.

Homer - how do you think they compare to the Aguilar's you had then? I did, and still do love the sound of them! They're wicked cabs![/quote]

Not quite as deep in the bottom as the Aggies - which probably sounded better soloed, but to my ears the Bergs sound better in the mix cos they're not as shy in the mids.

I've been using a Bergantino HS410 for a while now,and find the sound to be very clean and clear over the full range of the bass-"hi-fi" if you will.They really are beautiful sounding cabs. I'm powering the cab with a Genz Benz Neo-Pak,and find that the two really do complement each other.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='214794' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:02 AM']You have just missed an IP112 that was sold last week. I was good value as well.[/quote]

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214829' date='Jun 8 2008, 12:19 PM']I know...and i'm a bit gutted about it![/quote]
Always the way with acute GAS - impeccable timing; not!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='214879' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:42 PM']Always the way with acute GAS - impeccable timing; not![/quote]

Lol...thanks for that!!!

Although i must say...i'm glad it's not available to a certain extent. I'd probably have bought it without really trying out all the options available to me. I'd like to make sure i get the exact solution i require, rather than making quick, snappy ones that lead to further spending in the future!!!

I have got an IP112 with the EX112 extension and love it. If you are seriously looking at Bergantino you should arrange with Mark at bassdirect to go and visit him and try out all of the various combinations. A great way to spend an afternoon :-)

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='214998' date='Jun 8 2008, 05:38 PM']I have got an IP112 with the EX112 extension and love it. If you are seriously looking at Bergantino you should arrange with Mark at bassdirect to go and visit him and try out all of the various combinations. A great way to spend an afternoon :-)

Steve[/quote]

plus the one

i would highly recommend mark firstly, and i'd highly recommend checking out the berg range, they have a lot on offer and each has a lot to offer.

Mark

[quote name='bassjamm' post='214701' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:37 AM']To be fair, 500 watts should be more than enough to cover my gigs, anything requiring more than that and i'm D.I'ing anyway.

My Thunderfunk was 500 at 4 ohms, and the Ampeg is 300 at 4 (all valve though), so i don't think i'd need more than 500 at 8ohms!!! My concern would be getting a well rounded tone is all i think!!! Just the single cone and cab....hmmm!!!

I see some state side companies offer an IP212 though...oooo tasty![/quote]Hi Jamie, you're not getting 500w at 8 ohms, you're getting 300w, which is what the speaker can handle, with a bit to spare from the amp.

I would strongly suggest getting a two cab set up, as going from an SVT II with 2x DR bass cabs to 1x IP112 would be a disappointment.

Going from 300 Ampeg valve watts to something else, requires a much more powerful solid state/mosfet amp.

Hi again, (I replied to your 2x12" cabs thread- sorry I realise U DO know the IP series of Berg's are powered.

I've got an SVT2(non-pro) also & I use both a NV215 & a NV610 & BOTH are superb w/ this amp- Unbeatable!!!! IMHO !!! A cab designed by Jim Bergantino(If U don't wanna go as big as the NV cabs- IMHO they're easier to move etc than most 4x10's. ) The -now discontinued Sadowsky 410 cab was a Jim Bergantino design. The new AE Berg 410 might be the goods....-light weight & good sound!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='rodl2005' post='216563' date='Jun 11 2008, 05:03 AM']Hi again, (I replied to your 2x12" cabs thread- sorry I realise U DO know the IP series of Berg's are powered.

I've got an SVT2(non-pro) also & I use both a NV215 & a NV610 & BOTH are superb w/ this amp- Unbeatable!!!! IMHO !!! A cab designed by Jim Bergantino(If U don't wanna go as big as the NV cabs- IMHO they're easier to move etc than most 4x10's. ) The -now discontinued Sadowsky 410 cab was a Jim Bergantino design. The new AE Berg 410 might be the goods....-light weight & good sound![/quote]

Thanks mate. That's really interesting!!!

I like the what the NV215 is about, and i reckon it'd sound awesome!!! But with the SVT II my whole rig would weigh more than i do!!! I can't be going down that route!! I've just received an Ampeg SCP-Pro pre-amp, so i'm trying to get around about the same tone as the SVT II (which by the way got back from a service and pre-amp valve replacements...and is sounding awesome!!!)!!!

How do you cope with all that weight?

[quote name='bassjamm' post='216643' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:37 AM']Thanks mate. That's really interesting!!!

I like the what the NV215 is about, and i reckon it'd sound awesome!!! But with the SVT II my whole rig would weigh more than i do!!! I can't be going down that route!! I've just received an Ampeg SCP-Pro pre-amp, so i'm trying to get around about the same tone as the SVT II (which by the way got back from a service and pre-amp valve replacements...and is sounding awesome!!!)!!!

How do you cope with all that weight?[/quote]

I "Cope" with all the weight by using a trolley!!! Makes loads EZ as!!!! I also put skidrails on the rear of both my NV cabs & so VERY rarely have to actually LIFT one!!! With a sound as good as the NV cabs I find it EASY to cope!! :)

[quote name='rodl2005' post='220335' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:20 AM']I "Cope" with all the weight by using a trolley!!! Makes loads EZ as!!!! I also put skidrails on the rear of both my NV cabs & so VERY rarely have to actually LIFT one!!! With a sound as good as the NV cabs I find it EASY to cope!! :huh:[/quote]

Yeah, i should really invest in some kind of trolley!!! Not the ideal solution though...my back hurts just from a few lifts tonight :) I can't really get around it, i had a bump in the car last year, and my back is knackered as a result. The SVT is killing me though...still, the NV cabs sound sweet!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='220335' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:20 AM']I "Cope" with all the weight by using a trolley!!! Makes loads EZ as!!!![/quote]

This probably works well in Australia, as in the US. Unfortunately in the UK we are plagued with old buildings and thus staircases when it comes to moving gear. Wheels and stairs don't mix!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='221900' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:17 AM']This probably works well in Australia, as in the US. Unfortunately in the UK we are plagued with old buildings and thus staircases when it comes to moving gear. Wheels and stairs don't mix!

Alex[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts...

I mean, for starters...i've got steps up to my house from the drive, that's before i get to a gig :s

[quote name='bassjamm' post='222378' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:41 PM']Exactly my thoughts...

I mean, for starters...i've got steps up to my house from the drive, that's before i get to a gig :s[/quote]
I use a three-wheels-on-each-side job from Machine Mart [url="http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csl2-industrial-stair-climber"]here[/url].

We rehearse in a cellar down two flights of narrow stairs and it does the job -- though it's ripped the proverbial out of the bottom of my cab.

I have serious gas for an NV610 but no cash at the moment :)

Cheers

Mark