Why become a member? ×

Shielding Tape

Myke

Hello :)

I know this probably should be in the wanted section but I was wondering if anybody had any spare shielding tape as I ran out half way through my scratchplate and that's all that's left now.

If anybody does that would be wonderful

Edit.. I've been told the copper tape to stop slugs works equally as good so all fixed now!

Edited by Myke

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1372192888' post='2122792']
How much difference does this make? My bass has no shielding. You access the electronics through a panel on the back, not under a scratchplate. Would it be worth fitting some? Apologies if this is the wrong thread.
[/quote]

It may have conductive paint in the control cavity which can be used instead :)

I don't know the specifics but I'm doing it because I have two volumes instead of one volume and one tone on my p bass copy atm. Hoping this may solve it.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1372228185' post='2123021']
I seem to recall someone saying that the slug tape variety doesn't work for shielding, something about the adhesive. Not tested the theory myself.
[/quote]
I use aluminium tape which has quite good conductive adhesive, but to make sure I run a strip across the base layer with the edges turned under.

I seem to recall someone saying that the slug tape variety doesn't work for shielding, something about the adhesive. Not tested the theory myself.
[/quote]

I've used slug tape and it worked fine.

If I was doing it again though I would buy a sheet of foil, not tape. Purely for simplicity, not because the results are better.

[/quote]

Slug tape probably won't have conductive adhesive on the back. You can counteract this by soldering across each join, although I've found that for the purposes of shielding there's enough electrical conductivity between each piece of tape even without the special conductive adhesive.

I have used exhaust bandage - basically adhesive aluminium tape. You won't be able to solder to it, so run a wire from the earth side of the circuit to a small solder tag and put a little screw through the tape into the wood of the body.