Why become a member? ×

Ashdown head and cab

Patchbass

Ok I know i've done a few threads recently already but this site is too good and addicting not to ask and my ideas have changed!
My question is has anyone paired an abm evoiii with a cl-410? i was just wondering whether it sounds much different from the abm 410 as the cl-410 is louder.
Also this might be a noob question but you can't underpower a cab can you? Also can I have some opinions on the abm 410-volume and sound wise!
Thanks everyone!

How do you know the CL-410 is louder? The sensitivity is lower according to the specs (though ears are the best answer)...

CL-410 SPL 94dB 1W@1m

ABM-410H
SPL 103dB 1W @ 1m

As for sound. Again, you're best to use your ears & see what you prefer. One man's awesome is another's awful. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1372184060' post='2122624']
How do you know the CL-410 is louder? The sensitivity is lower according to the specs (though ears are the best answer)...

CL-410 SPL 94dB 1W@1m

ABM-410H
SPL 103dB 1W @ 1m

As for sound. Again, you're best to use your ears & see what you prefer. One man's awesome is another's awful. :)
[/quote] Thanks for the reply and i didn't see that but it's just the wattage rating is almost double of the abm so i assumed and yes i'm going to try to go and try them but i would also like opinions on whether it's really worth the extra (if they've tried both)

Ignore the wattage. It has little baring on how loud a cab is, just how hot the driver coils can go.

I've never tried the CL. Tried the ABM & whilst it sounded good, I prefer Markbass (they're clearer sounding, but some folk don't like that).

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1372171370' post='2122425']
Also this might be a noob question but you can't underpower a cab can you?
[/quote]

Normally not, indeed. The less signal goes to the cab, the more the cab will relax.
But a cab with large cone surface wil get less detailed at ultra low volume like when playing at night and trying to not waken the kids - but I gather this is not what you were asking about.
In the case you meant to ask about combining an amp and a cab that have very different wattage ratings, then really very much has been written about that already, and I gather you're best served with a search.

best,
bert

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1372184060' post='2122624']

CL-410 SPL 94dB 1W@1m

ABM-410H SPL 103dB 1W @ 1m

[/quote]

That`s a big difference in sensitivity.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372245361' post='2123250']
That`s a big difference in sensitivity.
[/quote]

It is indeed. Going by that, one could assume that the CL would make a rather good radiator (handy for those chilly winter rehearsals). :yarr:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1372248420' post='2123304']
It is indeed. Going by that, one could assume that the CL would make a rather good radiator (handy for those chilly winter rehearsals). :yarr:
[/quote] Sorry do you mean it would get hot (on an assumption) (i'm not very good at specs etc and understanding sensitivity)

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1372257858' post='2123494']
Sorry do you mean it would get hot (on an assumption) (i'm not very good at specs etc and understanding sensitivity)
[/quote]

Going on the specs that Ashdown provide, the CL can handle a lot of watts (the voicecoils can take a lot of heat) but it doesn't do much with it when it comes to decibels.
Sensitivity = decibels. Decibels = how loud you hear something.
The only way to find out is to try one (preferably in a band situation).

yeah trying is the best but I wouldn't be able to in a band situation. can anyone answer who's used an abm 410 on its volume in a band situation as I'm not sure whether to believe what I read which I know you shouldn't believe what you read all the time. I would like someone to clarify it.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1372278727' post='2123839']
I don't think I've ever run a cab anywhere near it's specified limits. I never look at the texhnical specs! I only check the ohmage and if it doesn't go loud enough for me then I'll sell it and get something else!

Truckstop
[/quote]
Haha good point

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1372277053' post='2123805']
It's nice that people are taking notice of sensitivity specs but, to be honest, most of them are even further removed from reality than power handling specs are!
[/quote]
Unfortunately most manufacturers seem to offer watts, ohms & sensitivity in their spec list. :(

Edited by xgsjx

• 4 weeks later...