Why become a member? ×

Marvin Gaye @ montreaux 1980

Damonjames

Great doc on BBC4 last Friday about MG - probably still on the iPlayer.

I love MG - Damon is spot on - you don't see acts like that any more.

Other week I watched 'Soul Power', the film about Zaire '74 - the Ali fight and music festival around it. Loads of James Brown (whom I also adore) and the whole thing is sooooo recommended! Owwwww-eeeeeee!!

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1371485827' post='2114445']

Other week I watched 'Soul Power', the film about Zaire '74 - the Ali fight and music festival around it. Loads of James Brown (whom I also adore) and the whole thing is sooooo recommended! Owwwww-eeeeeee!!
[/quote]

+1. That Soul Power documentary is fantastic - I force my kids to watch James Brown's performance every now and again just so they know how it should be done. Not sure if they're that impressed, but it keeps me happy :) Also, the Fania All Stars/Celia Cruz jam on the plane is great.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371507368' post='2114907']
This is the best MG video on youtube, if not THE best video on youtube full stop:

[media]http://youtu.be/E0V4DTfcLDQ[/media]
[/quote]
Fab!
This just shows the extent to which these people are steeped in the tradition of Jazz.
If you compare the singing, the bass playing and the harmony instruments to the original recording there is a huge amount of improvisation going on. These guys are jazz players, I know many of you will hate this being pointed out but sorry gents it's the irrefutable truth :)