Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 810E Questions and Sansamp Bass Driver....buying soon!

Musicman20

Hey! Im new to here!

Im currently looking at buying a new cab (s). Ive just sold my old ones, and I need something thats going to take no more upgrading!

The SVT 810E seems to be where it at! Ive tried one a few times, and boy does it sound massive.

I like tight punchy growly bass. I use Precisions and Stingrays. I play in hardcore bands at the moment..until Im too old.

Ive got a great Trace Elliot SVT12SMX 400Watt Head.

Anyone know of any other good cabs?! Ive tried a fair few. I dont think two 410 Ampegs do it right...and it works out more expensive.

Retailers im looking at are GAK, GuitarGuitar, Electro, and a few others like Dolphin Music. Anyone used these places before?

Anyway, Ive never had much experience with connections other than the cheap peavey connection I had with my old cabs.

Head is max load 4Ohms. It has TWO speaker outlets. One is the standard jack to jack type outlet, and the other is a 3 pin style. Im not sure of the technical names sorry ...

Anyway, I want to get the right leads. What connections do I need to cater for with the 810E? Im guessing its the Speakon connection I should use? Do I just need one lead from the Trace to one Speakon input? And can you buy a three pin to SPEAKON lead? Want decent quality. Or do I need two?!

Just to sneak this in...best Sansamp? Im probably getting the non prog cos its smaller and more lightweight. Is there any need for 3 channels on the prog version? A few places are selling the standard at £160 which is awesome.

Lastly, covers for 810E....where can I get a decent one from in the UK?!

A lot to ask I know!

Thanks

Gareth

Electro? as in Electro Music in doncaster???
If thats the case, yeah I buy a lot from there. Really sound guys and always help you out!!!
But, sadly Id say your best bet is online retailers for price, they dont have many overheads compaired to actual shops like electro.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='213187' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:20 PM']Electro? as in Electro Music in doncaster???
If thats the case, yeah I buy a lot from there. Really sound guys and always help you out!!!
But, sadly Id say your best bet is online retailers for price, they dont have many overheads compaired to actual shops like electro.[/quote]

Ask Electro to match the price though. They might be able to do it.

Personally I think you should have a look at;

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown---ABM-810~ID~2051.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...810~ID~2051.asp[/url]

Awesome cab and great value for money.

or if you have the money;

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Classic-Series-Neo-810h~ID~6168.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...10h~ID~6168.asp[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='213404' date='Jun 5 2008, 06:42 PM']Dont get me wrong, I like Ashdown stuff...but it didnt seem quite right for what I wanted. Ill have a look though thanks :)

I was gonna go for Trace stuff....but I want all Ampeg I think eventually.

What the Berg 610 like?[/quote]

If you get the opportunity then make a trip to Electro and see Dave, I bought my Ashdown Cabs from him and he usually has some Ampeg bits in aswell, he's a top bloke and may be able to help you with your decision.

Good luck!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='213404' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:42 PM']Dont get me wrong, I like Ashdown stuff...but it didnt seem quite right for what I wanted. Ill have a look though thanks :)

I was gonna go for Trace stuff....but I want all Ampeg I think eventually.

What the Berg 610 like?[/quote]

There's a ton of threads over on Talkbass re the Bergantino NV610.
I have never played thru a vintage Ampeg 810 but apparently the BERG NV610 sounds as close to one of these as U can get these days. AS far as comparing it to the Ampeg SVT810E cab..... :huh: there's virtually NO comparison.
well there is but IMO(& MANY others) the NV610 absolutely EATS it alive!! It's lighter, smaller & easier to transport & best of all it sounds WAY better!!!!!! Goes deeper-Handling the Low B string of my Stingray 5 with ease!!. IS far punchier & goes higher also-yet has no horn etc- & thus sounds superb with overdrive/distortion etc.... If it's also cheaper........well IMHO it's a NO BRAINER!!!
IF U R after the real Ampeg 810 sound thats been made famous(after all .. on most records where an Ampeg 810 was used-a VINTAGE one would be the one used) the BErgantino NV610 is a REALLY great cab!
I HAD an Ampeg SVT410HLF & when I got the NV610-everyone in my band(8piece-soul/funk band) -including myself- were amazed at the clarity of the bass-without it sounding 'clean' or "modern"- band members all said they could hear my basslines clearly & defined-where as B4 they would hear just a bassy sound-not so much the notes.
Yet it "Sits" in the band mix SO well! An Amazing cab. :huh:
The ONLY thing I like about the Ampeg 810 over the NV610 is the fact that the 810 is a bit closer to ear level !!!!!!!!!!! So IF I have a gig where I've not much room, I sit the NV610 on a crate- saves me from turning it up more & I get to hear the true sound, & damn it sure is pretty!!!

A P-bass or Jazz or a Stingray thru a tube amp into a NV610 -to me- is the best sound I've heard-ever had! A cuppla gigs ago, we were doing a BIG event... in our city's entertainment centre-nice big stage etc... I made sure the bass was mic'd-rather than DI'd-so FOH would sound as good as I heard....- while I was playing I was thinking ..WOW this is just Awesome... the bass sounded SO freakin great.. :huh: it was just pure pleasure!!!!! :huh: Hope U get to that too!

I've recently upgraded to a Hartke 810 from Hartke 410....best thing I've done in a while concerning gear, so much more punch and definition, it's not so much a volume issue...it's clarity, the band are happy with being able to hear me at a comfortable level. Also not as difficult as you'd think to move around, wheel it into a gig instead of carrying two 410's....but each to his own.