Why become a member? ×

One of the first Thumbs?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-JD-Thumb-Bass-Thru-Neck-1986-/151060670852?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item232beae984"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item232beae984[/url] Never seen one like that before. I did read somewhere that Thumbs were cut down streamers initially, is this one a 'not cut down' so much one :huh: . If it is genuine then it's certainly a piece of history and worth the asking price, however I am interested to know any history of this particular bass, anyone fill me in on this one?

Edited by jimbobothy

Looked at that earlier and it is a plain oddity. The earliest Thumbs actually had a shorter horn than present but JD era Thumb basses like this should NOT have a top horn that is the shape of a Streamer! I actually assumed that it must be the camera angle but it looks wrong on several of the pics. I can't imagine that it is a faker (too many things right with the rest of the bass) but nor have I ever heard of Warwick modifying the top horn of a Thumb to the shape of a Streamer... a conundrum, wrapped in an enigma and topped with a puzzle! :D

I thought I'd get a reply from yourself B) !! Yeah it is really odd isn't it. It's not quite a streamer in body shape, has a streamer control layout but with thumb headstock etc, maybe a one-off prototype, I did hear that the first thumbs did indeed have a shorter top horn, whatever it is the asking price seems good for such a rare beast as I doubt there is another one like it !!

Thing is according to the Warwick history PDF thing JD thumbs started in 1985... and this is july 1986. - it is odd compare it too another JD thumb... the bottom horn is two frets worth longer - where it joins the body looks a wee bit futher up towards the neck... but the top horn is more cut away but seems to be similar length- but not the same shape.... it's just an utterly different body shape - even the body isn't offset in the same way... would you expect the rear strap button to be dead centre? very odd - posted it on the warwick forums yet John?

How very odd! Never seen anything like it, but i think there is very little chance it isn't genuine. If it was one of the very first JDs then i would just put it down to early experimenting with design, but it isn't.