Why become a member? ×

Thomastik (TI) Strings - why do YOU use them?

Chiliwailer

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1370185553' post='2097303']
I had to check a packet - you're right JF344's .070 A - & yes they're balanced lovely. I love the soft & smooth feel on a Jazz bass, fretted & fretless. They don't suit me on a Precision though. I prefer a heavier gauge for the definitive P bass tone, personal favourites GHS Precision flats, 55 G, 70 D, 90 A & 105G.
The 43/56/70/100 TI's feel right to me on a Jazz neck, they balance the thinner neck better IMO & the GHS suit Precisions, both 1 5/8" & 1 3/4" varieties B)
[/quote]
[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1370217705' post='2097796']
Let us know how you like the
[/quote]

[size=5][u][b]Ok, the set arrived today![/b][/u][/size]

I put them on with HUGE anticipation. Once the truss rod and saddles were adjusted (especially the A string) off I went for a wonder on the Jazz Bass.

The feel was an instant hit and couldn't believe the quality of the tone, quite unlike the other Flats I had been using and all for the better. The A string being so thin was a big concern for me, initially the balance wasn't quite suited to my style but I switched on the compressor (which is always on the go anyway) and hey, problem solved! Perhaps it was a placibo, but the bass responses of the E and A balanced better after. I'm guessing the lighter A string is to match it better to the D and G because I was really impressed with that.

I'm super pleased with the strings.Big thanks to KiOgon, you're post was on my wavelength and I agree too about our P Bass needs. The other posts were great too, nice to hear what other players are up to and thinking.

Strange that you would say that. I have a set of long scale TIs on my Corvette 4 and a set of short scale TIs on the Hofner, and on both the E string looks huge but sounds perfectly balanced (after height adjustment etc.) without the need of any additional trickery.
Have you checked your pickups' height at the E string vs the G string?

Edit: With the above I mean I hear no "jump" in tone from the big E to the thin A string.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1370365648' post='2099810']
Strange that you would say that. I have a set of long scale TIs on my Corvette 4 and a set of short scale TIs on the Hofner, and on both the E string looks huge but sounds perfectly balanced (after height adjustment etc.) without the need of any additional trickery.
Have you checked your pickups' height at the E string vs the G string?

Edit: With the above I mean I hear no "jump" in tone from the big E to the thin A string.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's a great point. I've had no previous issues around the pickup height and balance, I checked again and it doesn't seem to be that. Perhaps it's the way I play or am in need of getting used to the new set, the feel is quite different but I'm really liking that aspect too. What I heard was a difference in the bass undertone whereby the E string had more of that than I am used to (excuse the wording, but sound into words is just never going to be universal!).

Still, with the comp I don't feel it at all so I'm not too concerned now.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1370350916' post='2099484']
This is where i get them from

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Yep, they seem to consistently do the best online price. It was worth looking on US/EU suppliers when the £ was running high a few years ago, but not anymore as far as I can see.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370365386' post='2099801']
[size=5][u][b]Ok, the set arrived today![/b][/u][/size]

I put them on with HUGE anticipation. Once the truss rod and saddles were adjusted (especially the A string) off I went for a wonder on the Jazz Bass.

The feel was an instant hit and couldn't believe the quality of the tone, quite unlike the other Flats I had been using and all for the better. The A string being so thin was a big concern for me, initially the balance wasn't quite suited to my style but I switched on the compressor (which is always on the go anyway) and hey, problem solved! Perhaps it was a placibo, but the bass responses of the E and A balanced better after. I'm guessing the lighter A string is to match it better to the D and G because I was really impressed with that.

I'm super pleased with the strings.Big thanks to KiOgon, you're post was on my wavelength and I agree too about our P Bass needs. The other posts were great too, nice to hear what other players are up to and thinking.
[/quote]
Glad you're happy with, I don't find the balance (size or sound or tension or feel) a problem on my AV '62 Jazz. I have a new set ready for my 60's fretless Jazz I'm working on at the mo, looking forward to that B)

I think the last time I bought TI's I got a few sets from a USA dealer who was doing a good deal on them, nowhere near the price they are now :(

I'm quite aware that my post made it sound like I was 'dissing' the strings due to the E A balance thing.

Just to clarify, not at all. I think it's a personal thing whereby I attack the E string harder, hence why I keep the compressor on perhaps?!

20 years of playing and I only just found an affinity with the TI's, here's to the next 20 with them. And from what some of you are saying, they'll sound better then too....could be a market for vintage strings out there....

So..... a risk well worth taking ;) I'm glad they suit you so well.

I love them in theory and I keep stringing basses with them and then taking them off after a couple of weeks because they lack oomph and they rattle too much on the frets.
Maybe they suit players with a lighter touch than mine, I just can't get a deep dub sound with them and I wish I could because I like the feel and playability.
The only bass I've kept them on is a fretless Precision and they sound good on that, but not for dub reggae - I prefer GHS precision flats on a Jazz for that.
My friend uses them exclusively and you can hear him here with them on both his Jazz and Precision, proving it can work:

[url="http://amarumusic.net/#releases2"]http://amarumusic.net/#releases2[/url]

PS:
I don't like new strings, they all sound better after at least a year to me.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1370377206' post='2100079']
So..... a risk well worth taking ;) I'm glad they suit you so well.

I love them in theory and I keep stringing basses with them and then taking them off after a couple of weeks because they lack oomph and they rattle too much on the frets.
Maybe they suit players with a lighter touch than mine, I just can't get a deep dub sound with them and I wish I could because I like the feel and playability.
The only bass I've kept them on is a fretless Precision and they sound good on that, but not for dub reggae - I prefer GHS precision flats on a Jazz for that.
My friend uses them exclusively and you can hear him here with them on both his Jazz and Precision, proving it can work:

[url="http://amarumusic.net/#releases2"]http://amarumusic.net/#releases2[/url]

PS:
I don't like new strings, they all sound better after at least a year to me.
[/quote]

So nice to hear some decent modern Dub, great link :D

I know what you mean about the rattle, my bass needed a tweak or two, though of course that's not to say that'd work for all players and basses. It can be playing style indeed.

Old flats sure do vibe well, looks like I better keep playing these bad boy strings in!