Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you do? When you don't feel like practicing?

SevenSeas

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1369990235' post='2095189']
I am aware of the theories that one needs to practice all the time to be great, but I aspire to mediocrity and have achieved it.
It leaves me time to do useful things, like drink cider, read books and listen to residents records.
[/quote]I like it!

Then I don't practise.
Gone are the days of practising/studying music for 12 hours. Nowadays I try to almost strictly do what I want to do.

If I don't feel like practising, I'll read a book. If I don't feel like reading a book, I'll practise. :-)

best,
bert

The only practice I do is learning songs from CDs etc. ( not YouTube ) oh and playing with my two bands-learning new sets for my jazz quartet- that's enough for me. Prob 8-10 hrs per week.

When I was pro I never used to practice at all because I was gigging so much. Still think its important though- certainly seperates the men from the boys.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1369929130' post='2094602']
... What do people do when they feel too burned out to practice? The other problem is I can never 'fully switch off' even now I feel guilty about not practicing when I should be, how does everyone else switch off?
[/quote]
It's a hobby, I never practise.

I do rehearse with my band and I will have learned anything I needed to learn in advance for that. Perhaps you call that practice.

If it made me feel guilty I wouldn't do it.

I would have a different attitude if I was or was hoping to be a professional musician.