Why become a member? ×

Building rehearsal rooms

paulflan0151

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369912731' post='2094302']
Happy Jack's garage > rhsal room thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/135383-kitting-out-my-garage-as-a-rehearsal-space/"]http://basschat.co.u...ehearsal-space/[/url]

Also the book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Home-Studio-Design-White/dp/1860742726/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369911573&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+white+basic+home+studio"]Basic Home Studio Design[/url] by Paul White. A mere £4.49 (Amazon) buys you scads of info.
[/quote]

Not quite, Skank me old Delvar, that was the thread about exploring the possibilities.

The thread where the project actually got built was [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149816-creating-my-own-rehearsal-space/page__hl__garage%20rehearsal%20space"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149816-creating-my-own-rehearsal-space/page__hl__garage%20rehearsal%20space[/url]

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1370250676' post='2097985']
Dunno anythig about soundproofing, but whatever you do, dont fit dimmer switches when you put thelighting in. They cause all sorts of buzzes and hums.
[/quote]

But do put some decent lighting in that can be turned on for setting up and packing away. Moody lighting as a very well for the actual rehearsal time, but it can be a nightmare when it's too dark to see where you need to be plugging in leads around the backs of cabs. Magnet Studios in Nottingham, I'm talking about you!

There are several "rules" when building studios and rehearsal rooms The main ones being mass is very important in helping with soundproofing or more accurately, noise reduction. Sound is passed through walls by vibration, so the more solid the walls the better. Also, if you use stud walls with rockwool, try to double (or triple) skin the walls on both sides, with two different materials on each side. Vibration passes less easily through a plasterboard/chipboard/plywood sandwich than 3 layers of plasterboard. If the place is big enough, leave as a bigger gap between the rooms as you can, I used to rehearse in one place that only had 2 rooms even though there was space for at least 2 more, the gap between the 2 was at least 20ft, and you couldn't hear the other band at all unless you opened the door. Talking of doors, heavy fire doors need to be used, preferably with extra wood panels on both sides and they need to be the widest you can get, people will always want to bring their own kit in and you cant get a 24" bass drum through a 22" door! The main rules of recording studios though (not sure it applies to rehearsal rooms) is that you should never go into it expecting to make any money! And it will cost you a lot more than you thought to get started....

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1370259493' post='2098138']
There are several "rules" when building studios and rehearsal rooms The main ones being mass is very important in helping with soundproofing or more accurately, noise reduction. Sound is passed through walls by vibration, so the more solid the walls the better.
[/quote]

That's why the shed-in-a-shed has a massive paving slab floor resting on 100mm of Jabloc - it's effectively a very heavy mass on a spring, which acts as a vibration absorber - hence the walls don't have to be massively rigid to prevent the vibration. Sounds bizarre, but it works well.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1370278447' post='2098534']
That's why the shed-in-a-shed has a massive paving slab floor resting on 100mm of Jabloc - it's effectively a very heavy mass on a spring, which acts as a vibration absorber - hence the walls don't have to be massively rigid to prevent the vibration. Sounds bizarre, but it works well.
[/quote]
I can see why it would!

Went to a studio room for the first time since january , and there was a trash metal band next door, I think he mic'd is double bass pedal up, we could hear it over our full band, really ruined the session

Good luck with the studio build, as others have said, build stud internal walls just off what you have already with cavitys filled with the most dense rockwall or similar you can stuff in will reduce, unless you want to go down a more expensive professional build, but that may be over the top

I did my garage like this in my old house and I could get very loud before it travelled into the other rooms , louder than i needed it to be