Why become a member? ×

Pickup Values Campared

AngelLaHash

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1369839023' post='2093330']
I know that, but xilddx obviously did not know, or he would not have written that.
I feel sure of the following:
He did not mean it as an insult. He meant to be considerate. I guess most people understood it like that.

b,
b
[/quote]

Thanks Bert.

It's the first post I've seen from him, I had no idea he was an electrical expert.

I thought I was being helpful and encouraging him to try experimenting like I did, it helps one to learn, I know f*** all about electronics. Never mind, intent can get lost in translation. It's impossible to ascertain what a person is like or where they're from just by seeing a few sentences on a forum. People are like pickups in that regard :)

Thanks again mate.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1369837396' post='2093286']

I thought what was being found scary was my lack of ability to tell what pickups are good simply by their electrical properties.
[/quote]

Well, almost.
It is mildly scary that no-one can begin to determine a pickup's performance from its technical specifications.

This gives at least two problematic scenarios that occur irrespective of your electrical engineering background:

1) I've acquired this random black lump of resin/metal/wire. How the hell do I know if it's any good.

2) I want to upgrade my existing pickups. How on earth do I work out where to start when tech specs are all I have to go on, and they don't exactly tell the whole story.

Pickups aren't cheap, and it's a minefield out there...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1369851042' post='2093543']
Well, almost.
It is mildly scary that no-one can begin to determine a pickup's performance from its technical specifications.
[/quote]

Thing is, its dependent on items not present. Like trying to say how an amp sounds without knowing what speakers its attached to. Impedance a pickup is connected to makes a surprising amount of difference.