Why become a member? ×

Small amp for stage monitoring?

lefrash

Most gigs I do, I either take my own rig, or use the house rig. Last night though I played a gig purely through the PA using my b9.1ut as an amp sim. Out front it sounded tremendous. On stage though it was a slight struggle to hear myself. I did get through the monitors (which there was a good few) but I think I was pushing my luck when it came to the monitor mix. It was perfectly doable as it was, but it got me thinking. What is the smallest possible amp I could use just to give me a touch more volume on stage. Not for tone shaping at all, literally as a point of reference when playing. I'm thinking something tiny like a 8" or 6" combo that can face directly at me. And something small enough that I can carry onto a bus!

Anyone do anything similiar for bass?

I should mention, This is not as a replacement to my current rig, just as another option if taking my full rig isnt so easy. I know the answer will likely be one of those kickback amps, or a powered wedge... but for me, that kinda defeats the purpose and therefore renders this idea pointless! haha

Fraser

Well if looking at small enough to be used in that manner, but also loud enough to be an on-stage monitor, you must be looking at 30 watts solid-state I would think - seeing as it will be facing you.

So from there, what combos are there with an 8-inch speaker. A quick google-search for 1x8 bass combos gives the Ampeg BA108 as the highest powered 1x8, at 25 watts. It`s fairly loud - I have one, and for home use it doesn`t go above 2. Also has tilt-back ability.

You have the EBS Classic Session 60 combo that Old horse Murphy is selling, i can't think of a better option at that price:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205971-for-sale-ebs-session-60-combo-as-new-l160-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205971-for-sale-ebs-session-60-combo-as-new-l160-price-drop/[/url]

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1369673236' post='2091452']
This is for sale currently:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205971-for-sale-ebs-session-60-combo-as-new-l160-price-drop/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

I beat you to it :P

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1369672834' post='2091444']
Well if looking at small enough to be used in that manner, but also loud enough to be an on-stage monitor, you must be looking at 30 watts solid-state I would think - seeing as it will be facing you.

So from there, what combos are there with an 8-inch speaker. A quick google-search for 1x8 bass combos gives the Ampeg BA108 as the highest powered 1x8, at 25 watts. It`s fairly loud - I have one, and for home use it doesn`t go above 2. Also has tilt-back ability.
[/quote]

Thats the exact one I was looking at myself! I'l need to go test one out. Thats really the size I was looking at. Although Old Horse Murphys looks very nice, thats probably just a tad too big.

Have you seen the Carvin micro-bass combos?

250w heads and voice of 1x10, 2x10 and 1x15.

They all weigh nothing, are made in USA and priced at between £400 and £470 depending on which speaker configuration.

The 210 probably has the most mid-range projection but even the baby 110 sounds good for such a small box.

The heads have plenty of inboard tone shaping, a useable compressor, headphone socket, decent DI etc.

Worth a look anyway :)

I've been thinking about this myself. Looking to upgrade the band's PA to a pair of Barefaced Big Babies (I know!) and then just having a small stage monitor for myself. Mind you, this is mainly so that I can go to gigs in a Nissan 350z, which won't fit my current bass rig in.....;-) EBC Classic 60 looks good to me.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1369661499' post='2091289']
What is the smallest possible amp I could use just to give me a touch more volume on stage.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/wharfedale-wpm1.htm"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/wharfedale-wpm1.htm[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1369741373' post='2092133']
[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/wharfedale-wpm1.htm"]http://www.soundonso...fedale-wpm1.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I had the Mackie equivalent to this type of monitor, it's not useable for bass, more for vocals/guitar. The 5" cone can only go so far. IME anything smaller than 10" (talking about a single speaker solution) for bass won't held well against a drum kit, even for personal monitoring.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1369742063' post='2092144']
I had the Mackie equivalent to this type of monitor, it's not useable for bass, more for vocals/guitar. The 5" cone can only go so far. IME anything smaller than 10" (talking about a single speaker solution) for bass won't held well against a drum kit, even for personal monitoring.
[/quote]

As a full-on monitor, I agree. As a "top up" for reference, up close to your face, it's not at all bad especially in small venues.

If you sing as well as play bass (as I do) then this is a great small-scale, lightweight solution.

If you want adequate volume from a smaller speaker, then it's best to compensate for lack of size with more watts, especially as watts are now cheap and weigh virtually nothing. Pairing something like a GK MB200 with an 8 or perhaps even a 6" driver would give you the power needed in a ridiculously small footprint.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1369742455' post='2092151']
Roland CM 30
Quite pokey for bass, and mounts on a mic stand.
[/quote]

That looks extremely good! Although the youtube video reviews say pluggng bass into it can be done, none specifically review it for that purpose. It looks a very useful little unit though, and I would totally find other applications for it! I would quite like someone to say that they've used it specifically for bass monitoring and it works fine! haha.

I'm going to be going to be doing a small scale UK tour, and I think I would be quite keen in getting something sorted for that, rather than taking my full amp around.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1369746657' post='2092223']
Pairing something like a GK MB200 with an 8 or perhaps even a 6" driver would give you the power needed in a ridiculously small footprint.
[/quote]

This was my other thought. Why not get myself a class D head, which isnt a big deal to carry about all the time, and just get a small 8" cab for the gigs I dont need my full amp. Although I love my LH500, I more or less use it as a power amp these days. Money is an issue for this route, and I cant be without an amp for any length of time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1369746185' post='2092215']
As a full-on monitor, I agree. As a "top up" for reference, up close to your face, it's not at all bad especially in small venues.

If you sing as well as play bass (as I do) then this is a great small-scale, lightweight solution.
[/quote]

True, with the bass rolled off you can get away with it.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1369756329' post='2092376']
This was my other thought. Why not get myself a class D head, which isnt a big deal to carry about all the time, and just get a small 8" cab for the gigs I dont need my full amp. Although I love my LH500, I more or less use it as a power amp these days. Money is an issue for this route, and I cant be without an amp for any length of time.
[/quote]

Almost anything is lighter than an LH500! But the MB200 is especially small even for a Class D amp,and has a nice clear sound which I think would help you hear it onstage. I was very keen on getting a bus-friendly setup and ended up pairing a Markbass F1 with a DIY 10" neo cab - it works really well and I have indeed taken it on the bus on numerous occasions, together with bass, however I could definitely manage happily with even less than this for the purpose you describe. Only issue is that there aren't many good lightweight 8" cabs on the market, the Genz might be worth a look but for maximum value I'd definitely be inclined to make my own - plus that way you could make it a combo with the head, if preferred. There are a couple of excellent 8" drivers out there, can point you in the right direction if you're interested. This route wouldn't save you money compared to a small monitor, but it would give you excellent sound quality and portability for a relatively modest outlay.

Edited by LawrenceH