Why become a member? ×

making an amp a home

anDy LAKIN

I once had to clear out a dead spider from an extension lead socket because its little furry body had shorted the earth and the neutral. So best not let them live in an amp.

I don't know how you'd go about keeping them out of your amp, some people might suggest putting a couple of conkers in there, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't really work. The only thing I can think of is stretching some netting, maybe tights material, over the vent. You could install a fan inside the vent, spiders hate being blown.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='andy159' timestamp='1369322978' post='2087815']...what is the best way to get them out and keeping them out.[/quote]
Good evening, Andy...

A quick web search brought this up...

[url="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060912022157AA4exty"]http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060912022157AA4exty[/url]

...which looks good..? Hope this helps.

I remember reading somewhere spiders don't like low frequencies, which makes their choice of home a poor one, crank the bottom end, crank the volume and let rip for a few minutes I'd imagine the'd be off sharpish.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1369397127' post='2088722']
I remember reading somewhere spiders don't like low frequencies, which makes their choice of home a poor one, crank the bottom end, crank the volume and let rip for a few minutes I'd imagine the'd be off sharpish.
[/quote]

sounds like i need to be playing more and louder and thats a great excuse to give the neighbours too, "i was only trying to get rid of the spiders"

I remember reading that spiders are attracted to vibration, which is why you often see huge ones crawling across the living room floor towards the TV late at night. Borrow another amp, put both in the same room and play through the borrowed amp til the spiders move home, then give it back to the owner! Either that, or use the vacuum cleaner to suck 'em out!

Spiders are very delicate, I don't believe one could live for long in a vacuum cleaner.

You should check to see if they're actually alive. Spiders moult their whole skin, they will seek out warm, damp and safe (they are very, very vulnerable during and for a while afterwards, they can't even use their fangs) places to do it. No point trying to chase them out if they're not even in their skin. If you want to kill them without opening the amp you could blow cigarette smoke in there. Nicotine is a potent insecticide and spiders are particularly prone (even though they aren't insects). You're going to have to open your amp to clear them and their webs out anyway.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. I work in the Middle East and remember having an insect incident some years ago. My practice amp, an Ohm Tramp Bass 15W, had developed a bit of an irritating buzz. I'd checked everything. Every switch, knob, screw, speaker grille, handles, the lot. I checked everything in the room in close proximity to the amp. Couldn't cure it.

In desperation I decided to remove the speaker and after removing it from the cab I could clearly see the two thick copper wires that were touching the back of the speaker cone and causing the unwanted vibration. I decided to just "tease" them out of the way a bit when… whoaaa, the biggest flamin' cockroach I've ever seen sprang into action from behind the basket. I don't know who moved quicker, me or it. They weren't copper wires, they were its "feelers". And I don't know where he legged-it to either, never saw him again. I slept with one eye open for a week (and didn't tell the wife) 'cos I used to rehearse in the bedroom.

There you go, beat that!