Why become a member? ×

Ginger Baker film/documentary "Beware of Mr Baker".

Coilte

Great documentary.............. he's like a kindly uncle isn't he..... a sort of musical Santa Clause.

I wonder if he's got anything nice to say about the Rolling Stones?

[url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-ginger-baker-on-why-the-rolling-stones-are-not-good-musicians-20131011"]http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-ginger-baker-on-why-the-rolling-stones-are-not-good-musicians-20131011[/url]

oh........

apparently not......

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391254084' post='2354966']
Seems like a complete c**t to me. Still, I guess there's no law that say great musicians have to be nice people.
[/quote]
Absolutely.... But when dealing with these type of people I remind myself they are not human in the same way we are and forgive them for their ways. He is a single minded selfish prick with a tendency for a violence. He's fun from a distance. I feel sorry for his kids.

[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1391255888' post='2354995']
Great documentary.............. he's like a kindly uncle isn't he..... a sort of musical Santa Clause.

I wonder if he's got anything nice to say about the Rolling Stones?

[url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-ginger-baker-on-why-the-rolling-stones-are-not-good-musicians-20131011"]http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-ginger-baker-on-why-the-rolling-stones-are-not-good-musicians-20131011[/url]

oh........

apparently not......
[/quote]
Great interview.

Not sure about the 'human' thing, they are just normal people really who happen to have a particular skill. Most people have specific skills and expertise but only a few of those skills are so widely admired as musical ability. Fair enough. So when we hear a musician, or group of them, making music that we greatly admire, we have a tendency to get carried away and start to admire the person as well, even though we generally know almost nothing about them. Indeed, it's possible that musicians/celebrities are actually more likely than most to be rather unpleasant people if they succumb to their celebrity status and take advantage of their fans, as we're currently seeing played out in the courts, not to mention the likes of Gary Glitter, Ian Watkins etc. Great musicians are great musicians, but let's not get carried away that they are all wonderful, saintly, paragons of virtue.

Love the Rolling Stone Interview

Intro - "Ginger Baker's life has changed since he starred in the 2012 documentary [i]Beware of Mr. Baker.[/i]"
Interview ....
[b]"Has your life changed at all since [i]Beware of Mr. Baker[/i] [Jay Bulger's 2012 award-winning documentary] in any way? 

[/b]"
"No."

and then ....

[b]".... a lot of practice helps though, right?"[/b]
"No, it doesn't."
[b]"Do you still try to get better though? Are you still trying to do new things?"

[/b]
"No. You can play what you want to play. What's the point of trying to play things that are difficult just for the fact of doing it?"

[i]

[/i]I feel so much better now. Vindicated.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391262968' post='2355095']. Great musicians are great musicians, but let's not get carried away that they are all wonderful, saintly, paragons of virtue.
[/quote]

In fairness, I doubt if most people expect their musical heros to be "wonderful, saintly, paragons of virtue." Everyone is human and far from perfect. However, as in Baker's case, when your own son says (it is in the film) that it probably would have been better for all if Baker had not fathered him, it puts things into some perspective.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1369226165' post='2086524']
I remember hearing Ginger Baker appear on a Radio 4 chat show that featured a range of guests from different fields. Having interviewed Baker, the presenter moved on to talk to a distinguished scientist about cosmology. As soon as the big bang was mentioned, Ginger storms in ranting on about how he can't understand how anyone could be so stupid as to believe in such a ridiculous idea as the big bang..."I mean, where was this big bang...". The scientist remained polite and unphased and even attempted the impossible task of trying to explain the big bang to Ginger. I so wished he had instead replied to Baker's outburst with "yes, well that's why I'm a professor of astro-physics and you hit things with sticks for a living". :lol:
[/quote]
...and the Prof could have finished him off with a fatal blow to the ego with....... 'and you're no Phil Seamen either'. :)

Edited by BetaFunk