Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN: Steinberger XL-2A (Immaculate Condition)
£1750

cloudburst

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1370347708' post='2099405']
Sblueplanet - I don't know the numbers for left hand production of the L series basses but they don't seem to come up for sale very often.

Due to the unique construction however, you could use a right hand bass and just make or have made a replacement top plate ie the front of the bass which carries the pickups and control knobs. That way you could have the proper left- hand arrangement for the controls but still be able to swap back to the original plate for re-sale purposes. I've seen GL guitars with nice wood top plates fitted so you could vary the appearance as you liked.

Just an idea which would open up the market for you.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

Hi Ed,

I guess it wouldn't be rocket science for the right craftsman to take a mold of the faceplate and produce a left-handed version in similar material and finish.

But what would we do about the headpiece? I imagine the slots would need to be machined in order to accommodate reversal of the strings.

CB

Absolutely stunning basses.
I had one on loan for a while many years ago (early-mid 80s) and it was just incredible.
Fantastic neck & the sound was superb.
The owner got rid of it & bought a very early Status & it was just nowhere near as good as the Steinberger.

I also used to own a Hohner B2A lefty Steinberger copy and I was able to reverse the strings without any alterations to the headpiece. Could someone check and see if the strings will fit in reverse order?
Maybe I can talk down the price on the lefty XL2.
Pic below.

Edited by sblueplanet

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1370384291' post='2100253']
Could someone check and see if the strings will fit in reverse order?
[/quote]

I use 105 gauge E strings in each of my XL-2s.
I just checked for you and even a smaller 100 gauge E string does not fit in the G string slot in the headpiece.

CB

And there is a company making ambidextrous headpieces.
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Steinberger-Bass-4-String-Stainless-Steel-Headpiece-Black-Edition-USA-/121111529713"]http://www.ebay.com/...A-/121111529713[/url]

CB

PS: Thought this may give you a laugh...

Edited by cloudburst

Yeah, just did a zoom in of the pic sent to me and strings wont fit in reverse.
Never thought of that as my Hohner copy had no issue with this.

If Im serious I could still play a righty like before. Just imagined the pivot plate would be better the correct way round.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1370414765' post='2100385']
And there is a company making ambidextrous headpieces.
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Steinberger-Bass-4-String-Stainless-Steel-Headpiece-Black-Edition-USA-/121111529713"]http://www.ebay.com/...A-/121111529713[/url]

CB

PS: Thought this may give you a laugh...

[/quote]
Those headpieces you linked to seem to have equal width spacings.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1370451175' post='2101130']
Those headpieces you linked to seem to have equal width spacings.
[/quote]

Yep. That's exactly the point. The ones found on the original XLs like mine are sided, but this company is making slightly different ambidextrous ones.
I didn't think of the pivot plate though. I just checked mine and whilst it would work for a lefty, it wouldn't be ideal.

CB

I'm pretty certain that the company in question have only just started making replacement headpieces, bridge claws and battery covers. I'm also pretty certain I read recently that replacement strap pivots can't be had for love nor money. Note also that even if you replaced the strap pivot, the pivot point would not be quite in the right place as it is closer to the top of the body when the bass is correctly oriented.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Ha Ha...

I'm the only person in the world I know who prefers left hand pivot plates on his right hand Steinbergers!

It all goes back to my habit of wearing the bass high on a short strap. The Steinberger pivot is set up to essentially work for all players who typically hang the bass in the time- honoured tradition - fairly low, and sitting somewhat round to the picking hand side of the body. I like mine higher and a bit more round to the front. When you try this with a normal handed pivot, what happens is that as the strap is shortened, the pivot tends to turn round till the long arm is effectively pointing upwards and you're stuck with no further adjustment possible.

The answer is to use an opposite handed pivot. The strap which the bass effectively hangs from is then attached to the short arm of the pivot, which allows you to raise it further and the long arm sits horizontally keeping everything balanced.

This practise has been with me so long now that whilst I could probably change my ways, at this stage in life I'm not going to!

Which leaves me with a deficit of suitable pivot plates - I only have two lefties to use with potentially 5 host basses so I do a lot of swapping dependant on which basses I want to take with me to whatever endeavour! Anybody got any spare lefty pivots?

You correctly identify the actual pivot mounting point as a potential whoops but I think in practise, this would probably work out fine - the balance point would be essentially correct but if you used the pivot with little or no friction set, the bass would not tend to self- centre the way a correctly handed one would. A bit like driving some cars in reverse with full lock on - the forces at play tend to hold it on full lock rather than self centre the steering. Boat rudders are the same but I digress as usual...

Sbluplanet - if that's you in your avatar, it looks as though you do wear the bass quite high - you may well prefer an opposite handed pivot. :huh:

Cheers

Ed

Yes Ed, that is me but I am seated in that photo! The angle also makes my Warwick Thumb look like a broadneck!

I never had much issue playing my righty L2 upside down. I would just imagine that the pivot has the design it has for a reason thus the interest in owning a proper lefty.

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1370503730' post='2101817']
Ha Ha...

I'm the only person in the world I know who prefers left hand pivot plates on his right hand Steinbergers!

It all goes back to my habit of wearing the bass high on a short strap. The Steinberger pivot is set up to essentially work for all players who typically hang the bass in the time- honoured tradition - fairly low, and sitting somewhat round to the picking hand side of the body. I like mine higher and a bit more round to the front. When you try this with a normal handed pivot, what happens is that as the strap is shortened, the pivot tends to turn round till the long arm is effectively pointing upwards and you're stuck with no further adjustment possible.

The answer is to use an opposite handed pivot. The strap which the bass effectively hangs from is then attached to the short arm of the pivot, which allows you to raise it further and the long arm sits horizontally keeping everything balanced.

This practise has been with me so long now that whilst I could probably change my ways, at this stage in life I'm not going to!

Which leaves me with a deficit of suitable pivot plates - I only have two lefties to use with potentially 5 host basses so I do a lot of swapping dependant on which basses I want to take with me to whatever endeavour! Anybody got any spare lefty pivots?

You correctly identify the actual pivot mounting point as a potential whoops but I think in practise, this would probably work out fine - the balance point would be essentially correct but if you used the pivot with little or no friction set, the bass would not tend to self- centre the way a correctly handed one would. A bit like driving some cars in reverse with full lock on - the forces at play tend to hold it on full lock rather than self centre the steering. Boat rudders are the same but I digress as usual...

Sbluplanet - if that's you in your avatar, it looks as though you do wear the bass quite high - you may well prefer an opposite handed pivot. :huh:

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

When I had my XL-5W (now with a private collector in Scotland :( ) I had a similar issue - I liked the bass quite high, but when you get it up there with the traditional pivot plate, it not only got uncomfortable, but also less stable, and had a tendency to swing around a bit (the 5 was a good bit heavier than a regular XL too). I ended up getting one of these: http://www.nedsteinberger.com/pdfs/boomerang.pdf and getting the the bolt re-cut to fit the thread on the bass. It really worked, especially because you could lock the arms in your preferred position and it was a solid as a rock. The hook ends for the strap were not too strong though, and I managed to break one off, so I got a pair cast in bronze by a jeweller friend of mine (I still have the moulds somewhere if anyone has had the same issue and wants some more made) and they were indestructible.

Amazing instruments. Wish I still had one!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1370591346' post='2103045']
When I had my XL-5W (now with a private collector in Scotland :( ~...

Amazing instruments. Wish I still had one! ...~ [/quote]

Well, you only have yourself to blame. :)

Never been called a collector before though... :huh:

Agreed that the NS Boomerang is a viable alternative and indeed more versatile than the original pivot plate.. Oh and the bronze ends are still lovely.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1370608941' post='2103389']
Well, you only have yourself to blame. :)

Never been called a collector before though... :huh:

Agreed that the NS Boomerang is a viable alternative and indeed more versatile than the original pivot plate.. Oh and the bronze ends are still lovely.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

:D

The great thing about Steinbergers is how so many people get put off by the looks.

So we get all this to ourselves:
- As much punch as a StingRay
- As much fat as a Precision
- Almost as much sustain as a pointless Basschat debate
- Harder to kill than a 70s TV detective
- Stays in tune almost as long as a TU-3
- As easy to transport as a set of straighteners

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Don't forget a decent approximation of the nasal Jazz bridge tone so beloved of Jaco afficionados...

Had a good laugh today, my 3 yo daughter comes into room, points at guitar rack and says "why does that black guitar not have turny things at end like the other ones? Me no like" - one of her favourite past times being twiddling the machine heads unbeknownst, so that you have fun detuning moments upon picking up a guitar.

So also add, kid-proof tuning. A big benefit in my household :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371295186' post='2112221']
The great thing about Steinbergers is how so many people get put off by the looks.

So we get all this to ourselves:
- As much punch as a StingRay
- As much fat as a Precision
- Almost as much sustain as a pointless Basschat debate
- Harder to kill than a 70s TV detective
- Stays in tune almost as long as a TU-3
- [b]As easy to transport as a set of straighteners[/b]

CB
[/quote]
Yep, I used to spin off to rehearsals on my pushbike with the Steiny on my back.

Hiya! Would you have any interest in a trade for a Status Empathy 4 string and cash. Used to have a XL-2 many years ago but sold it when buying another bass. It is the only bass I ever regret selling. Played and sounded fantastic with that Grand Piano like timbre.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1373143407' post='2134168']
Hi there 4stringer. Welcome to the forum. Apologies, but I'm going to stick to my trade list. Thanks for your interest.

CB
[/quote]

Cheers anyways! Good luck on your search for a trade.