Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying a Ric?

tommorichards

So, im very tempted by one of these. Heard some nice sounds, but im wondering if anyone knows of where i can try one out in the flesh in the northwest are. Around liverpoolish. as i would prefer to try one out and see if it passes the marmite.

Stocked in a shop?

A basschatters house maybe?

I would be appreciative, and could be some jaffas in it.

Dolphin music should have some I'd imagine? But it depends what colour you want, if that's an issue!?

I hope you find the experience as amazing as I do, I've got a 2012 ltd edition 4003 and my god what a bass! It is incredible and despite what some people will tell you, I find it extremely versatile, although short of slapping and some funk it does all genres and styles happily!

Do let us know what you find :)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1368958849' post='2083333']
Cannot answer your query unfortunately - however I owned 2 4001's back in the day.....one trick ponies, but what a trick!

Love Ricks.
[/quote]
I know very little about Rickenbacker basses but I've heard McCartney and I've heard Squire and I don't get how you can say 'one trick'.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1369002705' post='2083941']
I know very little about Rickenbacker basses but I've heard McCartney and I've heard Squire and I don't get how you can say 'one trick'.
[/quote]
I agree, there is a fair bit you can do with them, the newer models even have a vintage/modern circuit on then them, 2 pups, 2 tones controls, stereo feed if you want it, that's just for starters.
Just like a good old P and one trick pony.. great sound no matter what you do :)

imo, The only thing the Rick can miss is a bit of clout compared to a P in the very lowend, but the Rick has a lot of sweet mid sounds that you won't get on any other bass. That's how I hear them.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1369027360' post='2083986']
I agree, there is a fair bit you can do with them, the newer models even have a vintage/modern circuit on then them, 2 pups, 2 tones controls, stereo feed if you want it, that's just for starters.
Just like a good old P and one trick pony.. great sound no matter what you do :)

imo, The only thing the Rick can miss is a bit of clout compared to a P in the very lowend, but the Rick has a lot of sweet mid sounds that you won't get on any other bass. That's how I hear them.
[/quote]
I don't understand one trick claim in relation to the Precision bass either. It can do lots of diferent things.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1369032032' post='2084009']
I don't understand one trick claim in relation to the Precision bass either. It can do lots of diferent things.
[/quote]

That was me trying to be sarcastic, as we all know P-basses are used in all types of music, a roll of the tone will do a fair bit... abit like the Rick.. which was the point I was trying to make.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1369038394' post='2084055']
That was me trying to be sarcastic, as we all know P-basses are used in all types of music, a roll of the tone will do a fair bit... abit like the Rick.. which was the point I was trying to make.
[/quote]
Oh apologies, I didn't quite get it.

Did not know Dolphin had moved to solely online! Shame as it was a shop I was planning on visiting in the not too distant future, that'll teach me for not doing research! I don't know anywhere else in Liverpool other than Dawsons, but good luck in finding one!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1369039153' post='2084062']
Oh apologies, I didn't quite get it.
[/quote]
No Problem.
Reading my post again it wasn't really very clear.. It was in my head at the time of writing tho.

Hopefully you'll find a shop or owner near Liverpool that has new or used Ricks you can try.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1369027360' post='2083986']

[/quote]

Depends which Rick.....

My 4004 sounds very like a 4003 with added bottom end on the bridge pup and very beefy on the neck pup solo'd. Both pups is, well....different!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1369027360' post='2083986']The only thing the Rick can miss is a bit of clout compared to a P in the very lowend, but the Rick has a lot of sweet mid sounds that you won't get on any other bass. That's how I hear them.
[/quote]Actually, it is the mid-bass, from @ 150 to 300 Hz, not the fundamental low end of 40 Hz to 150 Hz. Maple has an inherent dip in its response in this mid-bass range, where alder, the traditional body wood for P-basses, does not. But the way the ear hears overtones, or the lack thereof, gives the impression that it is the low fundamental that is missing, when in fact it is the 2nd harmonic that is shy. It is this aspect, along with pickup placement, that are factors that give Rick basses their signature tones. Again, the newer Rick basses, with their newer adjustable pole piece pickups, have a shade more windings to address this issue. And yes, with two pickups and independent controls, they are much more than "one-trick ponies."