Why become a member? ×

Amp advice please!!

screeny81

So, currently I'm using an Ashdown MAG 300 head through a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab. This setup literally weighs a ton! Car sharing with a drummer is interesting too...

Now, I'm looking to buy something new, smaller, lighter etc for a more pleasant gigging experience! I've seen a couple options in my price range, one of which being a Gallien Krueger MB112-II combo. This one really appeals at the mo, either this or the MB115...

So what I'd like advice on, is how they'd compare volume-wise to the Ashdown. Both are rated at 200watt and the Ashdown at 300watt, and I realise that watt ratings aren't a clear volume indicator but with there being 100watt difference I'd like to get some opinions from people more in the know than me!

Any advice on either of these, or, any other similar combos you'd recommend would be more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys, all replies are much appreciated. It's a bit like I'm feeling round in the dark with where to go next amp-wise to be fair! There's a few factors going on at the mo: I'm in a gigging band, although not exactly out every weekend (more like once a month at present), budget is a bit of a concern - £350-£400 max, my current setup can't continue for too much longer (work related back injury and resultant physio sessions) and I've been out of the loop for a while with what's going on in the amp world of late!

I haven't even thought about the second hand market...any ideas there?

If you can sell what you got towards your budget and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207816-markbass-cmd-102p-combo-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.u...combo-for-sale/[/url] hasn't sold. Then Bob's your uncle...!
If you don't mind a heavy combo, then can't go too far wrong with [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207866-eden-metro-wtc-2x10-combo/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207866-eden-metro-wtc-2x10-combo/[/url]

Edited by Pembo

Cheers for the heads up with those two, the Markbass went by the time I looked and the Eden is a bit too far for me really, I'm based in County Durham! I'll keep a lookout for something similar tho, haven't got too many gigs booked in for the near future so I won't be breaking my back that regularly!

Whatever combo you get, I would keep the option open to be able to hook up an extension cab, in case you don't have enough volume.

I recently bought a GK MBE212 cab (pretty light), and a GB MB200 amp. It's light, quite loud, and didn't cost too much either.

Good advice. My combo gets used on its own in one band, but for the other, where I need more presence, I bring out the ext cab.

And to echo xgsjx`s point, I was always a 410 minimum bassist, and my Markbass 1x12 combo with 1x12 cab is plenty for me. Maybe If I were to push them hard, in comparison to a 410 there may be some differences, but for my needs I`m unlikely to ever do so and get the volume and size of sound needed in a much lighter set-up.

Ok guys, option number 3...

Originally, the Ashdown head was part of a MAG 300 2x10 combo (one of the first ones, bought it in 2003). Last year one of the speakers went 'bye-bye' so I bought the Trace 4x10 cab off a mate for £70, made a box for the head to sit in and used them as a head/cab setup.

Now, I still have the Ashdown combo (w/no head) upstairs in the cupboard. Would replacing the speakers be a viable option? The whole combo probably weighs half of the Trace cab, and I had no problems carting it about before...

If this idea's worth following up, any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a massive amount, so somewhere between £100 and £150 for a pair?

You could try PMing ivansc on here. I sold him an Ashdown 2x10 cab a while ago, and he replaced the drivers with some Celestion neos. Last I heard, he still had the old Ashdown drivers sat around doing nothing...

Update!

Provisionally sold the Trace cab, just waiting for the guy's payday at end of month, still need rid of the Ashdown head, but, it's ok cos it's NEW AMP DAY!!

Bit the bullet (and the other half's credit card) and I'm now the proud owner of a shiny new GK MB210-II.

Pretty much ticked all the boxes, one handed lift, more power than before etc...

Thanks for all the input guys!

Not keeping the Ashdown, the GK's a nice lightweight 2x10 combo (16kg), 350w standalone, 500w with an extension so got plenty power I reckon. Not sure whether I'd have better success selling the Ashdown as a head or sticking it back in the combo with a busted speaker...hmm...guess I can give any buyers the option I suppose...