Why become a member? ×

pre amps

timmo

I have a pre amp on my bass. I had not picked it up for a week as I bought another bass without a preamp. I picked it up this morning and the battery was dead.I seem to be going through them at an alarming rate.I take out the lead after every session, so do I need to remove the batteries as well, or is it normal to get through so many.I go through one about every week, with only a hour or so use a day

Cheap batteries tend not to last as long. There could be a wiring fault... have you looked inside to check for a short-circuit of some kind? Or get a technician or luthier to do it for you. 6 or 7 hours use is pretty terrible, even for cheap rechargeables!

The definite a wiring problem, either you know how to fix this yourself or take it to a guitar tech to fix it for you.

I used to own a Warwick Corvette which done exactly the same thing when i install a set of EMG active pickups and John East preamp. The bass drains the battery in 2 week and thats without plugging it in. Whether i use it or not it will still drains the battery.

Took it back to the guitar tech that install the electronic for me and he can confirm their is a wiring problem which he fix it for me.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1368713770' post='2080551']
The definite a wiring problem, either you know how to fix this yourself or take it to a guitar tech to fix it for you.

I used to own a Warwick Corvette which done exactly the same thing when i install a set of EMG active pickups and John East preamp. The bass drains the battery in 2 week and thats without plugging it in. Whether i use it or not it will still drains the battery.

Took it back to the guitar tech that install the electronic for me and he can confirm their is a wiring problem which he fix it for me.
[/quote]
Ahh ok, that could be the problem then.I have a Warwick Fortress Rockbass with EMG active pickups.No idea of the preamp.I will take it to the repair shop next week

I have identical pre amps on two basses..1 9v batttery lasts eons on one bass and no time at all on another.
You have a short of some kind. Mine was traced to to jack socket not disengaging the batt connect when the
lead was pulled out.
A simple change of the jack socket sorted this.

Yep usually the jack socket not separating when the lead is removed.

Won't be long until the passive only crowd chip in with daft comments about this being one of many reasons they don't like active basses etc, natural tone etc etc straight into an active di box or fancy amp with active eq controls :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368717816' post='2080663']
Yep usually the jack socket not separating when the lead is removed.

Won't be long until the passive only crowd chip in with daft comments about this being one of many reasons they don't like active basses etc, natural tone etc etc straight into an active di box or fancy amp with active eq controls :D
[/quote]

Hello, I am cheap and don't like buying batteries, I am also very lazy, and don't like changing batteries. Those are my only real excuses. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1368718005' post='2080664']

Hello, I am cheap and don't like buying batteries, I am also very lazy, and don't like changing batteries. Those are my only real excuses. :)
[/quote]
I am lazier as I don't have to move from the spot I am standing on to alter my sound at the amp ;) :D

Stereo Jack Socket
TIP the OUTPUT from the Guitar
MID to the [b][i]NEGATIVE side of the Battery [/i][/b]
[b][i]BASS to GROUND/EARTH[/i][/b]

[b][i]So when a MONO jack is plugged in the NEGATIVE side is attached to EARTH making a Circuit[/i][/b]
---
Could put in a Switch that Turns the Battery off
Also i did think of a PUSH DOWN small switch under the Battery just poking up in to the Battery Case so when a Battery is placed in it TURN the SWITCH ON, and letting you then Turn on the Pre-Amp other wise just bypassing the Pre-Amp.

Switch to turn on and off
Push Switch to see if a Battery is there, if no Battery then it wont let you turn on the PreAmp (Would would be the Point any way)

Sadly i aint figured a way to WARN you tell you the Battery is low, without Draining the Battery itself.
I guess you could put in a Battery Tester, LED/Switch

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1368794862' post='2081605']
I am lazier as I don't have to move from the spot I am standing on to alter my sound at the amp ;) :D
[/quote]

Hang on, I'm a bass player, why am I changing the sound from indistinct low endy thump? ;)

Could well be the jack socket, but could also be a short of some kind. Usually the shielding (whether it's copper tape, graphite paint, or whatever) is in constant contact with part of the circuit, or part of the jack socket, and this drains the battery. Have a look at the wiring and see if the shielding is contacting the circuit anywhere (other than the earth)