Why become a member? ×

mid heavy 8x10

I have a Laney NX810 and i'd say it does exactly what you're looking for.
It's basically 2 sealed 410's and has lovely Mids. I've gigged mine a few times now and it's never been boomy or Bass heavy at any venues. You can run it as 2 separate 8ohm cabs or a single 810 @ 4ohms.
It's very light in terms of it being an 810 at approx 90lbs. The only thing I'm not happy about with mine is the tolex is very thin.
B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkqJzbkELk

The Ampeg 810 is a sealed cab so there are no "ultra" lows just tons of great, warm mids. Sonic nirvana. It's been the cab of choice for most touring bands since 1969, and they can be bought pretty cheaply these days. If I was buying an 810, that's the one I'd go for, but these days I wouldn't go for an 810.

What are you playing?

That sound can be achieved with better designed, smaller, lighter cabs. Have a look at the Barefaced 69er. Me? I'd be looking at 212 cabs.

I've used an Ampeg 8x10, and while they're not very loud compared to modern, smaller, ported cabs... they sound fantastic! Much tighter and controlled low end too. Although with my front ported 4x10 I just turn down the lows on my head to get a more focused sound. It works out great, and I get more headroom as well!

Not all Ampeg 8x10s are the same, they changed to dark speakers to boast bigger numbers at one point, end up with a dark sounding cab, still with no lows from being small and sealed. Plus the sensitivity is the same as a Barefaced Compact, and that is pretty lame.

Basically, any sealed cab is not going to have much lows, just be sure when you say 'lows', you don't actually mean 'midbass' or 'low mid'.

Surely a half-decent EQ and/or careful cab placement should take care of any errant low frequencies? For example, I sounded really boomy last night on a wooden stage so I stuck the cab on my gigbag and moved it away from the walls. Problem solved!

Truckstop