Why become a member? ×

Open Strings

Most of the reasons for not using open strings that don't involve damping are to do with the different sound of fretted and open strings where the nut is not metal.
My take on this is that a) in most live music, no one is ever going to notice, and B) if you use flats, it's near impossible to tell the difference anyway.

I like an open string if I can fret a note immediately after on the same string to stop it ringing but I do and try stopping an open note with either hand depending. What gets me is an open note on one string followed by an open on another string giving 2 open strings to stop :-( most of the time I just carry on as best I can. It depends on the speed of the song and if there are any rests giving you time to stop it.

Mind you I did buy a 5 string so I could get a low E fretted note :-D

But when you are playing your second open string your fretting hand has nothing better to do than muting the previous string before moving to the next note? Or use an idle finger on your picking hand, let it rest on the string you need to mute and play the note you want with your pick/index finger/what have you.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1368176173' post='2074009']
Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead etc recently said "You've gotta have a damn good reason to play an open string on a bass." - not entirely sure why to be honest, I mean look at James Jamerson.

[/quote]

Probably more so the case back in the day when many basses sound crap, and an open string would sound even worse. Even today though, in inspecting a bass I always check to see if the open strings are suitable for use! Some just sound too 'thin' to of any use for more than a passing split second.

Although for the OP it sounds more like a mental coordination issue. Much like anything else that takes you out of your comfort zone; be it string skipping, pedalling, slapping the right string or whatever, slow practice will see it right. I wouldn't rely on transposing things as that is a crutch and a further obstacle to overcome before getting it right. I do like to use open strings though, both for pedal tones and as 'stepping stones' on to other notes in quicker runs.

There's a strong rhythmic connection between the left and right hand whilst fretting. This is lost when playing open strings. A lot of people experience disorientation or loss of rhythm etc when playing open strings. Try putting your fretting hand on the headstock when playing open notes and press in the same way you would whilst fretting. This really helps.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1368310892' post='2075665']
Try putting your fretting hand on the headstock when playing open notes and press in the same way you would whilst fretting. This really helps.
[/quote]

I'll admit that I'm a "shape" player and this has helped me get to grips with using open strings for more than pedal notes. I put my index finger on or behind the nut to create a zero position and then my scale patterns are preserved!

The OP's problem is to do with co-ordination i.e. it is lost when playing open strings. I suggest trying some simple scale lines with open strings in them. Play them slowly with conventional alternate picking (1st and 2nd fingers). Give the left hand something to do when picking the open strings e.g. move to where it is next needed. Once sorted, ramp up the speed a bit.

Some excellent replies to my post so thank you all so much. Yeah its a co-ordination problem alright and I am going to play as many pieces with open strings as possible to rectify it. An excellent point about the left and right hand working in unison and for open notes the left has nothing to do. I will do all the things you kind people have highlighted and report back in thirty four years when all the practice bears fruit.

I prefer to leave the open strings out of the equation as much as possible. Mainly because I struggle to transpose to different keys if there are open strings involved. Can't remember why I do this but somewhere along the way someone said it was the best approach so I'm stuck now.

Guess Its a style thing. If you generally play muted/staccato then a big ringy open string is going to sound off unless you mute it a bit.

But agree with Jellyknees ... who's to say ..... Different Strokes etc. ([i]Whatcha Talkin 'Bout Willis![/i])

[quote name='hairyhatman' timestamp='1368375900' post='2076260']
I prefer to leave the open strings out of the equation as much as possible. Mainly because I struggle to transpose to different keys if there are open strings involved. Can't remember why I do this but somewhere along the way someone said it was the best approach so I'm stuck now.

Guess Its a style thing. If you generally play muted/staccato then a big ringy open string is going to sound off unless you mute it a bit.

But agree with Jellyknees ... who's to say ..... Different Strokes etc. ([i]Whatcha Talkin 'Bout Willis![/i])
[/quote]
Yeah I think this was the reason I first did to easily transpose but isnt it a tad ironic that your avi shows a player who is perhaps synonymous with open strings

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368186969' post='2074194']
I prefer to use open strings if possible, same sound, but less work.
[/quote]

I honestly believe this is Jamerson's reason too. He was an upright bass player and the easiest place to play is in the first position. Not sure he ever went beyond the 4th fret!

I find it a fun challenge to keep down there (like most I gravitate to most playing being around the 5th fret region). For an original song we arranged (in what we hoped to be) Motown style I self-insisted to play it in the first position, open strings to boot.