Why become a member? ×

pick up cover purpose? Newbie warning!

ktg

I'm new to Bass Guitars. I'm looking at secondhand basses. I've seen a Fender Jazz bass in my local area. It has Pick up covers (see link)

What is their purpose?

Kevin

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/pickup_and_bridge_covers/american-vintage-jazz-bass-pickup-cover/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/pickup_and_bridge_covers/american-vintage-jazz-bass-pickup-cover/[/url]

Leo Fender thought the pickups looked ugly , and so designed the covers as a means of making the bass more aesthetically pleasing to him . They added to the overall automoblie- inspired chic of Fender guitars in relation to the design aesthetic of the time . Take a look at some 1950's American cars and then look ar a Fender bass with the pickup covers on and you will probably see what I mean . The covers also served a practical purpose in so much as they prevented the player hitting the exposed pole pieces on the pickup with a pick or fingers and thus causing an unwanted amplified thump . The rear cover also housed a rubber mute to aid a getting the muted thumpy tone reminiscent of a double bass that was considered the ideal sound when the Fender bass was first conceived of . The covers were also supposed to act as places to rest the palm to anchor the picking hand .

Edited by Dingus

Their purpose is to get in the way. :)
Some people think they look retro & cool, like chrome bumpers on an Austin Maxi or something equally exotic.

The bridge covers have a piece of foam in them that serves to dampen the strings. The Jazz bass neck pickup covers are purely cosmetic, though some people will doubtless tell you they realign the pickup magnetism with local Ley Lines or some other bollocks

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368113660' post='2073395']
Their purpose is to get in the way. :)
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Totally agree, Mr Hall's basses also have the same purpose pickup cover.[/size]