Why become a member? ×

fender pawnshop bass vi, good for indie?

jared21

Hi,
i'm looking at getting a fender pawnshop bass vi,
i've always loved them ever since i first heard about them ( the beatles, placebo, black keys etc) but never had the meaning to get one
anyway, in my new band there is me, a drummer and singer/guitarist, we're a three piece,
i've got the money to purchase a new bass and i was thinking of finally getting the pawnshop bass vi, but i don't want to waste my money
i already have a fender aerodyne so i could always swap around,

i play through a trace elliot gp 300 4 x 10 and use a digitech bass driver and a boss equalizer so that could boost the bass?

anyway the question is will it sound good in a three piece band, we do songs that sound ranging from artic monkeys to foals (kinda aha)

i was thinking it could be a different sound

i am planning on fitting labella roundwounds as i know the low e is a bit dull

Also which would you rather go for the black woith a tortoiseshell, or the sunburst with tortoiseshell

sorry for all the questions, i just want to know that it might work :)

Is this bass good for metal?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Mr Betafunk is quite correct, we have a good long thread on the pawnshop VI - started by Betafunk himself! I think the bass, from the sounds of it, could be good for a lot of genres; a very intriguing instrument.

[quote name='jared21' timestamp='1367932658' post='2071146']
anyway the question is will it sound good in a three piece band, we do songs that sound ranging from artic monkeys to foals (kinda aha)

i was thinking it could be a different sound
[/quote]

The Fender VI is a different beast from a bass. In my experience, they sound great alongside a regular bass and guitar, but they are a lousy replacement for a bass.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1367937787' post='2071224']
The Fender VI is a different beast from a bass. In my experience, they sound great alongside a regular bass and guitar, but they are a lousy replacement for a bass.
[/quote]

I was thinking that they might fit in a treat with that whole shoe-gaze heroin-chic thang?

I don't know if that counts as indie, mind!

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1367937787' post='2071224']
.... they are a lousy replacement for a bass.
[/quote]
Bit harsh, that. All depends on what you're doing with it. They're fine if you're augmenting real songs and not just masturbating. I was going to say ask John and George.... but they're dead. So.... ask Roy Babbington.

Surely it's a baritone guitar - the bass tag on these has always seemed a bit wide of the mark to me.

And perhaps the most famous users have been Hank Marvin (playing deep sounding guitar solos), Jet Harris (playing deep sounding melodies) and possibly the one I really associate with this instrument - Wichita Lineman (presumably Glen Campbell playing it?).

They're not exactly famous for bass players using them to play bass parts - I would imagine they would be marginally better than someone playing bass parts on a regular guitar, but not sure they would be suitable as a bass per se? But I may be totally wrong! Worth being aware what they're famous for though.

This is the hardest decision of my life,

i was thinking it would be a good instrument to harmonize with our guitarist , or play low down melodies as he stums chords? he plays a custom strat through a fender tweed deluxe (super awesome guitar amp)

ive played one at pmt in brum, but through a 8 x 10 ampeg svt, so it would sound really deep anyway through that beast.

[quote name='jared21' timestamp='1367942663' post='2071329']
[/quote]

Can we trade lives, please? :lol:

Some good comments from Dr T about where these instruments come from. I remember a few clips of some of the vintage ones standing out on Youtube - well, if you don't mind Phil X's unique approach!

[media]http://youtu.be/OpLqIpDdLYs[/media]

Which originally intrigued me... and then the newer version, courtesy of GAK:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15_lRs3Q9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U15_lRs3Q9k[/url]

i was thinking it would be a good instrument to harmonize with our guitarist , or play low down melodies as he stums chords? he plays a custom strat through a fender tweed deluxe (super awesome guitar amp)

ive played one at pmt in brum, but through a 8 x 10 ampeg svt, so it would sound really deep anyway through that beast.
[/quote]
Did you read the thread that i suggested? It will probably be a lot more help to you than this one is at the present. Oh and for those who don't think it's a bass............ :D

http://youtu.be/CKDuevCr90Q

Edited by BetaFunk

[/quote]
There are lots of examples on youtube etc of the Bass Vi in various bands and styles from Jack Bruce and Roy Babbington to Robert Smith and The Cure, Placebo. Eric Haydock of the 60s group The Hollies used one extensively as did Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Play it like a bass or play it like a guitar. It's only limited to where your mind wants to take you............Far out man!

http://youtu.be/u1W1JkPKfWQ

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367945496' post='2071406']
There are lots of examples on youtube etc of the Bass Vi in various bands and styles from Jack Bruce and Roy Babbington to Robert Smith and The Cure, Placebo. Eric Haydock of the 60s group The Hollies used one extensively as did Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
[/quote]

Jack Bruce recorded some of Fresh Cream with the Fender VI, but then went over to the EB3. There are some later videos of him miming with the Fender VI, presumably because of the psychedelic paint job.

Noel Redding used a Gibson EB2 first when he joined the JHE in September 1966 but found it difficult to play as he was used to guitar. Over the course of the next couple of months he played a Danelectro 6 string and a Fender VI, but couldn't get on with it, finding it too "trebly", went back to the EB2 in December 66 and switched to a Fender Jazz in February 67.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1367947790' post='2071461']
Jack Bruce recorded some of Fresh Cream with the Fender VI, but then went over to the EB3. There are some later videos of him miming with the Fender VI, presumably because of the psychedelic paint job.

Noel Redding used a Gibson EB2 first when he joined the JHE in September 1966 but found it difficult to play as he was used to guitar. Over the course of the next couple of months he played a Danelectro 6 string and a Fender VI, but couldn't get on with it, finding it too "trebly", went back to the EB2 in December 66 and switched to a Fender Jazz in February 67.
[/quote]
Thanks for the history lesson. Your point is?

and this from Jack Bruce -

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=c56a_Jd5aPI

Believe me its a BASS! I have a 'made in Japan' one for sale on here as I've got the chance to own a vintage one. They are great for a diverse range of styles. I've played bass with one and although its tight spacing I played with my fingers rather than a pick. These are great for all kinds of music - yes they do have a place in Indie music so just go and get one.....if it doesn't work for you sell it on.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1367948250' post='2071474']
Believe me its a BASS! I have a 'made in Japan' one for sale on here as I've got the chance to own a vintage one. They are great for a diverse range of styles. I've played bass with one and although its tight spacing I played with my fingers rather than a pick. These are great for all kinds of music - yes they do have a place in Indie music so just go and get one.....if it doesn't work for you sell it on.
[/quote]
Well said ash. You've just proved that there are (at a few times anyway) some pearls of wisdom on this forum!

All i'd say to the original poster is that if you can afford a Bass VI then why not get one? It's different yes, but then why do you want to get stuck in the same old groove. Just do YOUR thing!!!

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367943339' post='2071348']
Did you read the thread that i suggested? It will probably be a lot more help to you than this one is at the present. Oh and for those who don't think it's a bass............ :D

[media]http://youtu.be/CKDuevCr90Q[/media]
[/quote]

Interesting use of it by the latter incarnation of Soft Machine - sounds fine against the sax solo and sparse keyboards.

However, are you suggesting its use by Hank and Jet isn't famous - as someone who plays in a Cliff and the Shads tribute band I hear about this point in the instrument's history on a regular basis - indeed many of the afficianados (generally guitarists) have them :D

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1367953250' post='2071564']
However, are you suggesting its use by Hank and Jet isn't famous - as someone who plays in a Cliff and the Shads tribute band I hear about this point in the instrument's history on a regular basis - indeed many of the afficianados (generally guitarists) have them :D
[/quote]
I'm old enough to have seen Jet in his prime so no history lesson needed but thanks anyway.

Interesting bass. Different topic, but I get really wound up with most music shop reviews. Usually 'this is the best bass I've played ever' or 'perfect build quality' followed by a semi average guitarist trying to play bass.

Of course its the best you've played, you are trying to sell it.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367953601' post='2071570']
I'm old enough to have seen Jet in his prime so no history lesson needed but thanks anyway.
[/quote]

No history lesson intended - just wasn't sure where you were coming from. BTW I played one of the Japanese re-issue bass V1s of one of these guys - it was quite interesting.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1367953814' post='2071577']
Interesting bass. Different topic, but I get really wound up with most music shop reviews. Usually 'this is the best bass I've played ever' or 'perfect build quality' followed by a semi average guitarist trying to play bass.

Of course its the best you've played, you are trying to sell it.
[/quote]
I'm sure to shift a bass they are going to tell us anything but we're a bit wiser than to believe all that sales talk i'm sure. I find a lot of forums the same where someone will tell you to 'buy this' and whatever you do 'don't buy that'. Why would anyone listen to someone just because they shout louder than anyone else?
I also scratch my head when people post on forums and ask 'should i buy one of these' and 'what colour XXXXX should i buy'. Who XXXXX cares?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367957951' post='2071669']
I'm sure to shift a bass they are going to tell us anything but we're a bit wiser than to believe all that sales talk i'm sure. I find a lot of forums the same where someone will tell you to 'buy this' and whatever you do 'don't buy that'. Why would anyone listen to someone just because they shout louder than anyone else?
I also scratch my head when people post on forums and ask 'should i buy one of these' and 'what colour XXXXX should i buy'. Who XXXXX cares?
[/quote]

True!!! LIke everyone who said don't use TC RH amps because they have no volume, or that the Genz Streamliner is too scooped. Both pretty much not what I experience when I use them.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1367959136' post='2071701']
True!!! LIke everyone who said don't use TC RH amps because they have no volume, or that the Genz Streamliner is too scooped. Both pretty much not what I experience when I use them.
[/quote]
I think you're right. Each of us have to make up our own minds as we're the ones that have to live with whatever we buy. It great to listen to different peoples opinions but ultimately we have to make up our own minds. It does amuse me though on a lot of forums where some people seem to be on some sort of crusade in what we should or shouldn't buy. Never quite worked that one out. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367961722' post='2071775']

I think you're right. Each of us have to make up our own minds as we're the ones that have to live with whatever we buy. It great to listen to different peoples opinions but ultimately we have to make up our own minds. It does amuse me though on a lot of forums where some people seem to be on some sort of crusade in what we should or shouldn't buy. Never quite worked that one out. :)
[/quote]

Yep agreed - music should reflect a diversity of style, technique, instrumentation ..... and GAS :) . I play bass but not always 4 string bass guitar - I use upright bass, Moog synth, tea chest bass, even a jug ;) and of course the Bass VI. It is about finding your own voice. That's what makes Hooky as musically valid as Jaco, or Macca, or Barry Adamson, or Mark King, or Entwhistle ......(add any musician to the list). I've owned many high end basses but always go back to my bashed in Gibson Grabber and my Precisions because to my ears they sound 'right' - but that doesn't mean they are right for everyone ....