Why become a member? ×

fender pawnshop bass vi, good for indie?

jared21

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1367963427' post='2071799']
That it wasn't used extensively by Noel Redding?
[/quote]
Sorry but i can't find the emoticon for yawn but i expect an expert will come up with a history lesson on them soon.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1367963438' post='2071800']
Yep agreed - music should reflect a diversity of style, technique, instrumentation ..... and GAS :) . I play bass but not always 4 string bass guitar - I use upright bass, Moog synth, tea chest bass, even a jug ;) and of course the Bass VI. It is about finding your own voice. That's what makes Hooky as musically valid as Jaco, or Macca, or Barry Adamson, or Mark King, or Entwhistle ......(add any musician to the list). I've owned many high end basses but always go back to my bashed in Gibson Grabber and my Precisions because to my ears they sound 'right' - but that doesn't mean they are right for everyone ....
[/quote]
You've obviously got diverse musical tastes and that's always refreshing to see and hear. Some people are simply stuck in their own little musical world and won't budge on anything that's even slightly different from the norm. Who cares? Not me!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367965971' post='2071845']
Many thanks but are you a good samaritan or one of this forums resident 'experts'? :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Both. I kid you not.

I was attempting to gift you a yawning smilie...

...but the site wouldn't upload it.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367965189' post='2071833']
Sorry but i can't find the emoticon for yawn but i expect an expert will come up with a history lesson of them soon.
[/quote]

I tried them for a while but found they didn't cut through as well as regular emoticons.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1367966291' post='2071851']
Both. I kid you not.

I was attempting to gift you a yawning smilie...

...but the site wouldn't upload it.
[/quote]
A gift gratefully accepted.

But what is better. An emoticon from this forum or an emoticon from another website?

I'm sure the emoticon experts will put down their basses and inform us very soon. It's their duty you see. :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1367967057' post='2071858']
A gift gratefully accepted.

But what is better. An emoticon from this forum or an emoticon from another website?

I'm sure the emoticon experts will put down their basses and inform us very soon. It's their duty you see. :D
[/quote]

Some of us are too busy giving history lessons to actually [i]play[/i] basses.

screw it aha im just going to buy one,
going to pmt the weekend to play the one they have in stock just to comfort me a bit, then its down to the colour, im really torn between the black or the sunburst!

thinking sunburst as my aerodyne is black, be a bit different aha

labellas, maybe change the pickups, ill get a boost pedal if its not "bassy" enough or something i dunno yet aha

be good for writing songs in different timings and stuff i reckon, can use higher end palm mutes etc :)

[quote name='jared21' timestamp='1368098775' post='2073112']
screw it aha im just going to buy one,
going to pmt the weekend to play the one they have in stock just to comfort me a bit, then its down to the colour, im really torn between the black or the sunburst!

thinking sunburst as my aerodyne is black, be a bit different aha

labellas, maybe change the pickups, ill get a boost pedal if its not "bassy" enough or something i dunno yet aha

be good for writing songs in different timings and stuff i reckon, can use higher end palm mutes etc :)
[/quote]
Good thinking! I'm sure you'll have some fun with it.

There is a Bass VI facebook page with loads of info on string and pickup mods that Bass VI owners have done which is well worth a look and as they all have a Bass VI they actually know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Oh and whether you like The Cure or not Robert Smith seems to be able to write a few decent tunes with a Bass Vi. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

i do like the cure, open is a great tune and you can hear the distinctive tone of the vi on that i think?

i just hope i can fit it around my band now, the singer thinks we could, but the drummers sceptical, but i cba to be like every other band doing the same thing if you catch my drift, although i will miss doing a lot of slap aha

the only thing swaying me is that not many modern bands use them and no band that has a similair sound to mine use them, the onyl one i can sort of think off are this town needs guns, but his is a custom build vi (looks sick)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmVu19TEbtc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmVu19TEbtc[/url]

With the Cure, the Fender VI was usually used as a guitar alongside a four string bass. For example in Pictures of You:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_GM_FOr60[/media]

...and Lullaby

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfeZ3u0bZYM[/media]

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368120741' post='2073523']
No history lesson i'm afraid :rolleyes: but i'm sure there must be a Bass VI somewhere in this collection.

[/quote]

Fittingly enough, that scene does have a Bass VI. In fact, the seafoam green guitar that must never be played is a Bass VI. Only two were made in that color. If you can stand this guy's attitude, here's a video of the other one: [url="http://youtu.be/51nA8g_t84c"]http://youtu.be/51nA8g_t84c[/url]

[quote name='jared21' timestamp='1369040044' post='2084073']
went to pmt last week and tried to buy a pawnshop bass vi, turns out i can only get the candy apple red one, they rang fender for me and they said id be lucky to get a sunburst one by november. :(:( :(
[/quote]
[quote name='jared21' timestamp='1369236350' post='2086724']
GAK have said i can preorder one to get it for july :) will be doing this as soon as im home from work :)
[/quote]
Good luck with this but I don't quite get how Fender can't supply PMT until November but they can do GAK in July.

I ordered a Candy Apple Red Pawnshop Bass VI in February from my local Fender dealer as i was told they were in stock at Fender UK. A few days later i was told that it wasn't in stock but would be delivered in 6 weeks time. I cancelled my order and phoned up a few more UK Fender dealers and was told they were out of stock at Fender and would be available from anything from between June and November! I phoned a few Fender dealers until finally Coda had one in stock which i received within 2 days.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1369760740' post='2092453']
Good luck with this but I don't quite get how Fender can't supply PMT until November but they can do GAK in July.
[/quote]

something about them getting a shipment in anyway as they ordered it in before