Why become a member? ×

Double Bass (under £100...)

Paya

Hi, I've been looking for a cheap double bass for a while now but don't want to spend over £100 on it as I probably won't take it massively seriously and only use it for a bit of fun, I'm not really bothered about the quality as long as it's playable. Any ideas?

Erm.....no.
You could get something for 100 quid but it won't be playable. It will be bass shaped fire wood.
The best you can hope for is a second hand Stagg electric upright (EUB) but you'll still be looking at :£200-250.
Sorry, but its not a cheap instrument to make and 500 is probably the minimum you can pay and get something that can actually be played - double that for something that can be played and sounds half-decent.

Yep, as above really. There are a few folk who have stumbled across decent basses going cheaply, but they tend to be freak occurences down to good luck. Depending where you are, you may be able find a shop which rents out beginner level instruments, which can be a way of testing the water without laying too much money down.

Hi! - Funny, we just had yesterday the same question in the German "Musiker Board". My recommondation: Build the bass yourself like this: [url="http://www.un-art.org/lutherie/idxlutherie.html"]http://www.un-art.org/lutherie/idxlutherie.html[/url] . Best, Thomas

A fully laminate Gedo has just gone on ebay for £360, I would've had it but it was a nearly 600 mile round trip away, add on £100 of fuel and I've only saved £30 but lost a warranty as you can buy them for £490 delivered, it did have a set of D'addario hybrid lights on it though.
I've been looking for the cheapest useable bass and decided a Gedo laminate plus a decent set of strings is the best deal I can get and it be playable, still £600 though.
Thomann do one for the same price but free postage so you save £80 but the Gedos look like a nicer finish and there seems to be a lot of praise for them, quite possibly the same basses and the photos make the difference, I don't know :-)

Buying a double bass is just like buying a car (interestingly enough they are pretty much valued about the same according to the spec ):-

[b]Spending around £40,000[/b] ++ buys you a 'head turner', the porches and Ferraris of basses, the instrument we would buy if we won the lottery.
[b]Spending around £10,000 [/b]buys you the most amazing instrument that we all aspire to own one day
[b]Spending around £1,000 - £3,000 [/b]where its at for most bassists
[b]£500 -£1000[/b] buys you a workhorse but don't expect it to drive quite like a £10k machine
[b]£300[/b] maybe about the cheapest 'run around' that you will get , may have cracks, breaks, be a bit clunky - but hey you only paid £300 !
[b]£100?[/b] Question - what would you expect the performance and quality of a car that you bought for £100 ( clapped out, about to fall to bits, hard to drive, beyond economical repair, etc) ...well expect the same from a £100 double bass !

You may be better off spending your £100 on hiring a reasonable DB and giving it your best shot with a half decent instrument !. Good luck with it ! ;)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1367866880' post='2070452']
Buying a double bass is just like buying a car (interestingly enough they are pretty much valued about the same according to the spec ):-

[b]Spending around £40,000[/b] ++ buys you a 'head turner', the porches and Ferraris of basses, the instrument we would buy if we won the lottery.
[b]Spending around £10,000 [/b]buys you the most amazing instrument that we all aspire to own one day
[b]Spending around £1,000 - £3,000 [/b]where its at for most bassists
[b]£500 -£1000[/b] buys you a workhorse but don't expect it to drive quite like a £10k machine
[b]£300[/b] maybe about the cheapest 'run around' that you will get , may have cracks, breaks, be a bit clunky - but hey you only paid £300 !
[b]£100?[/b] Question - what would you expect the performance and quality of a car that you bought for £100 ( clapped out, about to fall to bits, hard to drive, beyond economical repair, etc) ...well expect the same from a £100 double bass !

You may be better off spending your £100 on hiring a reasonable DB and giving it your best shot with a half decent instrument !. Good luck with it ! ;)
[/quote]

Ive never thought about it that way.
As for renting, if your in an area that you can rent one its usually a better idea till you can buy your own decent instrument.
the places ive seen renting cover re-stringing and have insurance so always a plus there.

I'd add that if you are a newcomer to URB, and looking at acoustic rather than electric it would be a good idea to take along someone who has a little experience to have a look as well. Even with a £500 budget you can look at three basses - one can be a little tired, but absolutely fine, one may be a decent bass that just needs a little TLC (plane FB and a new bridge and setup - that can easily be a couple of hundred though) or a right pile of firewood that will never play right.

I have had friend turn up with a bass and then ask my opinion. I didn't like to give it :-(

I have seen basses repaired by "professionals" that I consider ruined - screwed on fingerboards for example.

Paul

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1368437175' post='2076928']
I'm pretty sure most art councils let you rent them if they have them available. I know someone that rents an upright bass for £12 a year...
[/quote]
That really depends,
I know that Aberdeen City/shire do not have any Double bass for rent unless your in primary or secondary school.
Dont know about other shires