Why become a member? ×

AAARRGH - Just had the worst audition in my life!

thunderbird13

Well, Al, I think you should just accept the inevitable and start carrying a gun to auditions. Or at the very least a can of tear gas. You might as well get some satisfaction from the audition process and you'd be doing the rest of us a favour by taking these sort of pillocks off the market.

Look on it as a kind of public service. ;)

I've only ever done three auditions & you can never tell what the outcome will be.
One went ok & I got the job but tbh was the only one who'd bothered to audition :P
Second went pretty brilliantly but I didn't get the job.
The third was ok playing wise but i just didn't gel at all with the band or potential song choices and refused the offer to join.
So really you can never tell at the end of the day, and playing in front of strangers/being put on the spot can be very good practice.

I'd have walked out in an instant! Good on you for sticking with it.

I try to follow some advice given to me by a fellow bassist some years back. Always remember - you are auditioning them, not the other way around.

The longer I play, the more sense it makes! :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1367228476' post='2062691']
The longer I play, the more sense it makes! :D
[/quote]

Quite. The chances of there being at least one irritating arse in the band are very high!
Edit: especially when I get the gig, arf arf.

Edited by discreet

Yep, if nothing else it is more audition experience. After a few you get a bit of a sixth sense as to what might have mileage and what will be too much like hard work to make it worthwhile. I recall being invited to one a few years back. Supposed 'functions band' featuring two vocalists. One of them didn't turn up, the room they were supposed to book for the audition hadn't been sorted so we ended up doing it in a band members front room. They decided to audition a drummer at the same time as me and it seemed, after only being given a short time to learn the material, that I still knew it better then the 'seasoned' band memebers. I texted them back as soon as I got home to rule me out and wished them well finding a bass player.