Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recommend me some 10" speakers

lefrash

I've got a wee bit of spare cash at the moment so im thinking about replacing the cheapo speaker in my harley benton 2x10 with something non-aluminium. I'm looking at sub £100 the pair (2nd hand or new). Any more than that I'd be aswell going the whole hog and getting a new cab. I like the size and shape of this harley benton, but I do feel the speakers let it down.

I'm looking to keep it atleast 250w at 8ohm. Truckstop on another thread suggested eminance, which seem to start at about £50 a pop but I'd love to know what exactly im looking for , or whether that extra bit of dosh will make a difference.

On the other hand, do you recklon I should just stop fannying about with existing sub standard gear and get a proper cabinet!? haha

Try out your combo with extension speakers. If you find some you like the sound of then look inside to see what they use. One of the problems with this sort of upgrade is that you don't know what you are going to get until after you have spent your money. though i notice the DIY 15 in your gear so you already know this.

I'll warn you now some people will come on and tell you speaker design is impossibly complex and speakers have to be matched to cabs. That's only partly true, Speakers have to be matched to cabs to get the best out of them but a lot of speakers are close enough in design to allow a bit of leeway and the software available makes design changes easier. A speaker giving less than its best can also sound OK.

Speakers from Fane,Celestion and Eminence can all be good (or poor if you choose the wrong ones) and the Eminence beta has been redisigned recently and looks interesting, make sure you get the updated one though.

People here are very generous with their time and if you measure the inside dimensions of your cab someone will tell you if a speaker you suggest will work in your cab and if you need to change the ports.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1366962675' post='2059411']
I've got a wee bit of spare cash at the moment so im thinking about replacing the cheapo speaker in my harley benton 2x10 with something non-aluminium. I'm looking at sub £100 the pair (2nd hand or new). Any more than that I'd be aswell going the whole hog and getting a new cab. I like the size and shape of this harley benton, but I do feel the speakers let it down.

I'm looking to keep it atleast 250w at 8ohm. Truckstop on another thread suggested eminance, which seem to start at about £50 a pop but I'd love to know what exactly im looking for , or whether that extra bit of dosh will make a difference.

On the other hand, do you recklon I should just stop fannying about with existing sub standard gear and get a proper cabinet!? haha
[/quote]
Hi is that the BB 210 you have?

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1366967562' post='2059507']
some of the eminence 10 inch speakers very good.....and good value(try blue aran)
bergantino fit them in their HD 210 .......pressed steel frame but non the worse
for it.
[/quote]

Cheers for that. I would say though, that There still seems to be a lot of different speakers within the same rough price range. I'l have a good think about it over the weekend. I suppose the way to look at it, if I were to buy a £300 cab right now, The speakers are still not gonna be top dog. but if I went and spent £100 to £150 on a pair, i might get prety decent ones!

Not sure I would go this route with a punt, tbh... as as helpful as people may be, you don't know what you will get
until you fire it up.

If it were me..I'd sell the HB cab.. put the money for the upgrade into the pot and
check out the GS210 in the classifieds.
Old SWR jnrs are good for the money..as are Eden XL spec.

If you get over £200 in the pot, you might be nearly in range of older TE410 cabs...and SWR maybe.

They are heavy and have had their day..altho the Goliath is still pretty decent,.. but they will still do a job...and be a REAL leap in class from the HB ..IMV.

You're probably right about it being a punt. That gs210 looked nice too! I'm tempted just to go for the punt though. Get a couple of nice speakers and hope for the best.

I've randomly picked these out on ebay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EMINENCE-BASSLITE-S2010-10-BASS-GUITAR-SPEAKER-/121090158267?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c31892ebb"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EMINENCE-BASSLITE-S2010-10-BASS-GUITAR-SPEAKER-/121090158267?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c31892ebb[/url]

It seems to recommend them in a vented 2x10 which mine is. They lok super light and seems to get good reviews! I'm off down south for the weekend to a wedding so I'l need to see how my bank balance is after that. haha.

I'd say those or either Eminence Beta 10's or Celestion BL or BN 10's.
I've used the Beta's and BL's of various sizes in various boxes before and had decent results every time. My Laney cab has Celsetion BN Orange labels and sounds great.
If you can find a pair of used Deltalite 2510's for a reasonable price then better still.

These Eminence Legends are nice - I had them in a cab of mine and they have a very Ampeggy type tone to them. Which seeing as Ampeg use Eminence, no real surprise there.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/pair-pack-x2-eminence-legend-bp102-8ohm-10-200watt-speaker-p-1074.html

those basslites look ok [url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2010.pdf"]http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2010.pdf[/url] there's quite a hump in the midrange which should give them a bit of punch and you'll be putting them into too small a box which will give them a bass peak too. Xmax (excursion) is ok at 4mm. They'll be a lot better than what you have probably and you'll lose a noticeable amount of weight.

Thanks for the info guys! Really really helpful. The wedding I was at turned out to be a free bar, so I have a substantial amount more money in my back bin than I was expecting!! haha. Result! I think I'l go for the BASSLITE S2010's i picked out. I think it would make sense to get some Neo ones, as i may regret it in the future. Lean have them on their site as a pair at slightly cheaper than the Ebay link so even better!

I've actually just realised. They only come in 8ohm. That means I cant get that one cab to be an 8ohm cab! Therefore I couldnt run it along with my other 8ohm cab! In fact they are almost all 8 ohm. How does this work out?! haha. I thought I had it cracked there! Damn! I dont!!

On the other hand, it can be run at 16 ohm, and would still work ok with my 8ohm 15" cab. It just wouldnt be very good on its own. 16ohm cab into a 4 ohm amp...

Edited by lefrash

You are going to find that nearly all speakers are designed as 8ohm units. The few that are offered as 4 or 15 are often not good because changing the coil necessitates a redesign of the whole speaker and the expense is rarely justified.

You might find that the basslites are louder than your original speakers though and good enough for most gigs on their own. Unless you want to risk this though it is back to the drawing board

What I might do is try both. wire it to 16ohm and try it along with my existing 15" 8ohm cab. Then try it alone as a 4 ohm cab. and whatever one works best, keep! On the other hand I could get really fancy and wire it up and make it switchable! Thats probably beyond me though!

again Phil, thanks for your input. I'm up in Scotland so cant pop over to try your speakers, but the offer is appreciated!

Fraser

Edited by lefrash

Well they've arrived already! Incredible service from Lean-business. Ordered them yesterday afternoon, and there sitting on my bed already! As I said, I went for the eminence basslite s2010's. These will be wired up hopefully this afternoon ready for practice tonight. Thoroughly looking forward to it.

I'l let you know the results!

I dunno how you feel, but I think the cabs are perfectly good, quality wise. They seem pretty well built etc, so that why I decided to go down the route of just upgrading the speakers. They speakers are pretty cheap and nasty ones so hopefully this will be a well worthwhile upgrade.