Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some 10" speakers

lefrash

So they're fitted and been played. First impressions are they make the cabinet ALOT better. Its night and day. They sound very different to the previous cheap ones. Theres no harsh top end at all and the bass seems alot tighter. They definetly have a mid bump but this isnt a bad thing and it means I was noticably clearer at practice tonight. It takes distortion and fuzz effects alot better now

The speaker experts might be able to explain this more than I can, but although the 2x10 is running at 16ohm, and my other 1x15 cab is running at 8 ohm, I would have thought the 1x15 would have had more of the power going towards it. It maye have been the voicing of the 2x10 or the better quality speakers, but the 2x10 was certainly not getting lost in the mix between the two. When plugged in on its own, I had to turn my amp up louder than I used to (when it used to be an 8ohm cab) but its easily giggable on its own.

I would say on a slight -ve side, although they are extremely light, the speakers that came out werent massively heavy either, so the difference in weight is noticable but not huge. Thats not to say though that if I upgraded but kept to traditional speakers they may have added wieight so all in all I'm glad i went down the Neo route!

All in all, I think it has been worthwhile. Once they are worn in a little more they may change slightly in tone, but first impressions I'm very excited! I cant beleive I've never thought of this before now!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1367342435' post='2064474']
If the cabs are ported then when you put the new speakers in measure the inside of the cab and any ports and I'll calculate any re-tuning you need to do.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer man. I've fitted them already without measuring the innards though. Thanks anyway. Perhaps RandomBass may be taking his apart soon and will perhaps do the measurements

Sounds like a good result, literally. Will be interesting to hear how/if the drivers change tonally as you break them in more.
I removed one of the drivers from my HB cab and weighed it at just over 2kg, which isn't a lot for a traditional ferrite magnet speaker.

Without having figures to hand it is about efficiency. Your 15 will be taking twice as much power as the 2x10 but the 2x10's could easily be 3dB louder for each watt you put in which would make them equally loud. Our ears are also much more sensitive to higher frequencies so that if you have more mids and top end the new speakers will be what you hear best.

pleased you like the sound

Edited by Phil Starr