Why become a member? ×

Another conception in Moffat - photage

GreeneKing

[quote name='steve-soar' post='393264' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:58 PM']and I can tell you it will sound even better.[/quote]

Hope so Steve... :) .

Its taken me 15+years of playing the same Status to move onto something else. I know it will play like a dream, and Alan spent lots of time getting the measurements the same as my status (standard older Status 15mm 5 string spacing), but the Pre Amp is still a little bit of wild card for me. With my Status I just crank everything up to 11, and bingo, its the sound I like...I may actually have to start thinking about what I am doing with Alan's Pre ;)

This aint going to be a 'coffee table' bass built just for show...its going to be my main gigging bass for as long as I can keep wiggling my pinkies. :P

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='393396' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:55 AM']Hope so Steve... :) .

Its taken me 15+years of playing the same Status to move onto something else. I know it will play like a dream, and Alan spent lots of time getting the measurements the same as my status (standard older Status 15mm 5 string spacing), but the Pre Amp is still a little bit of wild card for me. With my Status I just crank everything up to 11, and bingo, its the sound I like...I may actually have to start thinking about what I am doing with Alan's Pre ;)

This aint going to be a 'coffee table' bass built just for show...its going to be my main gigging bass for as long as I can keep wiggling my pinkies. :P

Dave[/quote]Dave, you will definately have to re-think the way you use the eq on an ACG.

I saw your bass when I picked up the 9 yesterday.

The shaping and contouring is really superb and it looks great from all angles!!

The fingerboard is the brother/sister (?) piece to the one on the 9. When you play the bass, the view of the side of the fingerboard is very cool with all the colours and grain of the acrylicised spalted maple. The feel of the board is super smooth and it's a pleasure to play.

• 1 month later...

Here she is...My lovely Headless Harlot.......I is one happy bass playing fella.

Massive thanks to Alan, above and beyond the call of duty....

Got home from Alans and then had to sort out some work stuff so could not even plug it in until a couple of hours ago.....:)

Just been having a play in my office at home and its a bleedin joy to play.....obviously can't crank it up much..and a bare plaster finished room ain't the best acoustic choice.....but had a mass of fun using the eq..its the one thing that scared/ still scares the sh*t out of me. Being used to simple balance, bass treble and mid eq...Alans pre amp is a [i]lot [/i]to get your head round, but damn, the variation in tone is [b]Massive[/b]....

The thing I liked is that I got the piano bright sound I love pretty much straight off.....

Got band practice tomorrow night, and 1st gig for it next week, and cant wait to get it all turned up in anger....:rolleyes:

Volume and mixed in with the band is the [i]only [/i]way to really get a feel for how much of a dainty lover or angry slapper she can be...:D ....

I really can't express how good this thing looks in the flesh....

Really looking forward to tomorrow night now.....:cool:

Fantastic, what a shape.

A little tip on getting a good meaty slap tone, don't eq the pickups individually, just dive in with both pups on and tinker.
It toook me days and days to get something I was use to, then I thought screw it, it's an ACG and it sounds like nothing else.
You will be playing with the eq for months, it's all good. :)
I love it.
Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='431125' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:24 PM']A little tip on getting a good meaty slap tone, don't eq the pickups individually, just dive in with both pups on and tinker.Steve.[/quote]

Cheers Steve...that was pretty much my approach last night. So far I found it more sense to do both pickups together rather than one at a time as Alan and others suggest. What I find astounding is the [i]massive [/i]change in tone just a slight eq change makes with this pre-amp.

I know its going to be a little bit of a challenge to adjust from what I have been used to with my status basses for the last 12+years :)

OK...just got back from the band rehearsal......and first chance to crank it up...

Bloody hell Alan...its a monster....

I was so concerned about getting the tone I like with this new bass....

As soon as I plugged in I obtained one of the best and most articulate bass tones I have ever had the pleasure of working with......I know this sounds like a huge statement, but honestly, its just an enormous sounding bass.

I cannot explain the relief I felt. The bass plays like a dream, but most importantly it feels so comfortable and familiar, massively in part to the work Alan did to obtain the narrow string spacing of my Status, and measurements he took of the fingerboard.

I have been playing the same Custom made Status Empathy 5 string for the last 10years, and another 5 string status series II (with the same neck and spacing) for several years before that. I am one of those guys who does not change basses often, and am very comfortable with what I have, and how it should sound. I knew the bass would play well, but the sound was THE biggest concern for me, (far mores so than I let on to Alan or Peter -Greenking- to be honest)......but damn what a massive sounding instrument he has created.....The single coils are fantastic, and very quite (other than the enormous sound of bass twangy goodness....)

When I got in from work today I got the Status out and expected (and quite rightly so) to feel 'more at home'....It took me less than a few seconds to instantly recognise that the Harlot has grabbed me by the balls and wont let go.

Alan....I salute you sir.....you have one very, very happy customer...unfortunately one who ain't likely to buy another bass for another 10 years...

Dave 'damn I'm happy' Perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='432953' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:18 PM']Cheers Alan

Its the Hop pocket, Chorley next friday.....See you soon pal if not at that one[/quote]

Good venue. Went to see Nick's band there a couple of weeks back. Not seen you for a while son. Will try and get there.

• 2 weeks later...