Why become a member? ×

My first public performance...yikes!!

Wooks

Hail oh wise and wonderous basschatterrs......I've got my first public performance on Sunday,(at the tender age of [size=3]41[/size] :) ), through the music school that I go to. It's their annual summer concert for all of the students that attend and like I said it's my first one, because I've only been learning for about 8 months now. I'm doing the classic 70's/ 80's rock track Doctor, Doctor by UFO as my piece.
I was wondering if anybody has got any good tips for me for my first public outing please??? Not that I'm scared but I'm sh***ing a brick :huh: :huh:
I've been practicing the track in the confinds of my bedroon and I've been kinda nailing it most times, how can I replicate my bedroom performance on stage so that I don't make a complete muppet of myself :huh: Thanks for any advice!!

When you know the part well enough to play it in your sleep, then you'll be about as well prepared (musically) as you're going to be. The nerves will subside as you get more used to playing in front of audience.

On a different note, I always take a bottle of water to glug on, and a beer towel to mop up when I accidentally pour it all over myself.

Good luck.

Breathe!

Although it might be difficult, try and stay calm and remember to enjoy yourself. And, odd as this might sound, try not to worry about mistakes - we're all human and sooner or later will make mistakes :) Just stay calm and keep going, the worst thing you can do is stop.

It'll be great I'm sure :huh:

Cheers
Alun

Don't forget.... in the first part of the verse, in the 8th bar it's 'A' instead of 'C'! Alway caught me out there!! :)
Ditto with the have fun.. if you have the song nailed, try not to watch your fretboard unless you have to. Look out over the audiences heads and use your best 'sex face'!!
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edited by tombboy

Just remember, people are there to see/hear music, not laugh at you. Noone expects anything from you except to enjoy yourself, so just do it! :)

Live performance is what it's all about, in my opinion... Best fun you can have.

Id like to echo all the above, if you hit a bum note, bahh, it happens! I hit at least 3 wrong notes per gig, and apparently we're playing that glastonbury thing! (que "i got kicked out of my band" thread :) )

Just take it all in, it'll go faster than you can imagine!

Don't get hammered before the gig!

Also, if you practice in your bedroom, wear different clothes on stage - the dressing gown/slippers look is ok for The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, but may detract from the Rock 'n Roll spectacle the audience are expecting :)

Hamster

[quote name='richy316' post='209129' date='May 29 2008, 07:54 PM']+1 for enjoy it! there will be nerves but i tell you what, there is no greater joy than being on stage :huh:[/quote]
Erm... yes there is, but this is a family forum! :huh: Unless you happen to be on stage enjoying the greater joy!?! No... wait... THAT would be terrifying!!! :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='209075' date='May 29 2008, 06:05 PM']Hail oh wise and wonderous basschatterrs......I've got my first public performance on Sunday,(at the tender age of [size=3]41[/size] :) ), through the music school that I go to. It's their annual summer concert for all of the students that attend and like I said it's my first one, because I've only been learning for about 8 months now. I'm doing the classic 70's/ 80's rock track Doctor, Doctor by UFO as my piece.
I was wondering if anybody has got any good tips for me for my first public outing please??? Not that I'm scared but I'm sh***ing a brick :huh: :huh:
I've been practicing the track in the confinds of my bedroon and I've been kinda nailing it most times, how can I replicate my bedroom performance on stage so that I don't make a complete muppet of myself :huh: Thanks for any advice!![/quote]

+1 for trying to relax. Try to look like you're enjoying it - move around and so on - and it's more likely that you will.

Also, if you'll be standing in the performance, practice standing and the same if you'll be sitting. I find it makes a surprising difference...

i was in the same situation your in for my first time...

all you need to do is relax and loosen up... become limber and flexible and enjoy it for goodness sakes...
if your all sh*t up about it you'll worry, panic and then you might ruin it for your self...

just take it easy...

if the nerves are there i find that if i go to the bathroom just before... don't neccaserily need to go...
but i stare at my self in the mirror splash my face and then go out there and kick some ass...

don't do it for the crowd do it for self...

ha listen to me i'm 16 and i'm sounding like my dad... :$ oh god i should be worried shouldn't i...

:)

dude. ur 16 and u play gigs.. man lucky.... to bad im 15 and i play gigs...ha. anyways what kinda gigs do u play? oh I always.....hmmm what do i do before a gig... nothing really. course i only play infront of about 40 people and sing. not to bad. played infront of 400 and sang once.. church... gotta love those encouraging people. well gl hf

Make sure you've practiced [b]standing up[/b] if you're going to be playing standing up which I presume you are .

You'd be suprised at the difference it makes if you've learned something note perfect whilst sat down in the bedroom and go to play it for the first time stood up , the whole Bass seems to shift 2 frets away from you.

and as others have said relax and enjoy it !

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='209324' date='May 30 2008, 03:02 AM']dude. ur 16 and u play gigs.. man lucky.... to bad im 15 and i play gigs...ha. anyways what kinda gigs do u play? oh I always.....hmmm what do i do before a gig... nothing really. course i only play infront of about 40 people and sing. not to bad. played infront of 400 and sang once.. church... gotta love those encouraging people. well gl hf[/quote]

good on you chap... what gigs do i do??

just ones at school with my band for now... theres normally an average of about 5-600 people at everyone...
we've got two perfromances coming up after the half term...

Gonna be Brilliant...

i love performing one of the main reasons i feel people should play any instrument not just bass

It's all here -
practise all you can
relax
prepare your equipment
few deep breaths
do it
enjoy

Remember at all times it's YOUR stage.

In the words of Billy Connoly to his audience

When my light comes on it's my turn , when yours comes on it's your turn - easy.

Aside for remembering to enjoy it, i find pre-stage nerves tend to make me a bit sluggish. So if that happens have a jump around, a stretch, a warmup - whatever just to make the blood flow. And if your hands are cold - warm em on a radiator or under a hot tap.

The stress goes when you're playing so just have fun. :)

Paul

[quote name='Galilee' post='209415' date='May 30 2008, 09:48 AM']I'll be the heretic then, I say get pi55ed and go mental. Make them force you off stage after 45 minutes of ham-fisted bass soloing and dodgy dancing. If you feel like you're losing them at any point, just get your willy out.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Galilee' post='209415' date='May 30 2008, 09:48 AM']I'll be the heretic then, I say get pi55ed and go mental. Make them force you off stage after 45 minutes of ham-fisted bass soloing and dodgy dancing. If you feel like you're losing them at any point, just get your willy out.[/quote]
This is what works best for me too. :)

I'll use this as a last resort if the nerves get the better of me!! :) :huh:
Thanks for all the pearls of wisdom I've been getting I really appreciate it, it's nice to know that I'll have the support of my fellow Basschatters. Cheers Guys
Sy

Amen to (almost) all of the above.

[b]Plus:[/b]

Remember, it's "only" music. Nobody's going to die. :huh: :huh:

I once fell off a 3 foot high stage onto a table full of glasses and bottles at a gig. My memory tells me that I didn't miss a note, but I think that may be a touch of self delusion. :)

The point is, I lived to tell the tale and thirty years later, I'm still at it. Gigging that is, not falling off stages.

Well, not that often. :huh: